52 replies to this topic

#31 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

I could care less how well we do in the regular season as long as we make it into the playoffs.

AV can feel free to play whatever combinations he wants and take the next 2 months getting things running smoothly.

All I care about is the playoffs, and if we squeak into the playoffs and then win the Cup (a la LA Kings), I will be much happier than if we win the Presiden't Trophy and lose in the first round.

Moral of the story... chill the heck out dude.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#32 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

One game guys, might as well tank the season. Trade both goalies and the Sedins, waive Manny, Raymond, Ballard Ebbet, fire AV and Gillis, re-trade Kassian for Hodgson, Garrison was a terrible signing should've kept Salo, blah blah blah.

It's been one game. Jeeez.

Edited by bossram, 20 January 2013 - 02:57 PM.

What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#33 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,516 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

This is going to keep happening, isn't it? Man, will this season be long with all these redundant/useless threads.

#signsthelockoutisover

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#34 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

Seasons over, tank the whole year, time to rebuild year, fire sale, moving to Seattle.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#35 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,039 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Luongo trade discussion thread - four full versions - hundreds of pages....

#36 WestCoastCanucks

WestCoastCanucks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

AV made the wrong decision here.... if schneids is "our no. 1 guy" then he would be starting tonight.

Agreed. Lu has always been given a chance rebound on his bad games and that should have been the same for Schneider.

Well, it's not the first decision AV's made that I've disagreed with and it probably won't be the last.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#37 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

It was Luongo's night, so he's playing and Schnieds wasn't solid. It's the right decision to keep your game plan, Schnieder will play again even if Luongo plays lights out,
Posted Image

#38 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

AV made the wrong decision here.... if schneids is "our no. 1 guy" then he would be starting tonight.

Pretty much bang on how i feel. This moves says to me we don't have confidence in you Cory. Enough of the oh its back to back crap. Lu played more minutes last night than Cory did.

#39 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,286 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

They can't go on much longer icing two great goalies that should both be starters. Management has to decide on one goalie and move forward. I'm not saying by any stretch that Schneider will continue to play like that every game if Luongo is here, but he will constantly have it in the back of his mind. Every goal Schneider lets in, he'll be looking to the bench to see if Roberto is coming in.

It's not the same for Schneider anymore. A decision was made last playoffs that Schneider is supposedly our go to guy, and we locked him up for the next 3 years. The pressure is much higher this year, and having Luongo on the bench is a nice option for us, but for Cory, it is probably a nightmare. If we get an actual back-up, he can relax a little, and know that all our faith is truly on him.

Also, say Luongo comes in and gets a shutout tonight, or plays absolutely amazing, AV will continue to play him, like he said, the better goalie plays. This decreases Schneider's confidence completely. I know Luongo and Cory have nothing against one and other, and they are supportive for each other, but inside, Lu wants his job back, whether it's here or elsewhere.

Trade one of the two, preferably Luongo, as we have already made a decision once already to trade Lu.

Has it ever occurred to you that the exact same phenomena was going through Luongo's mind last season? He looks at the bench and sees a younger, more popular goaltender every time he lets a goal in.

I think if anything, this sequence will prove once and for all who is the better goaltender. Luongo fared well even with the pressure of having Schneider, a legitimate starter, on the bench. Will Schneider have the composure to rise up despite the pressure? Well that remains to be seen.

You could make the case that both Luongo or Schneider would perform better if they did not have each other as a backup.

And no, it isn't the same for Schneider anymore. He has the pressure of being the starter, and he has to be able to deal with it with the same composure and calmness that Luongo did last season with Schneider breathing down his neck.

Schneider was not made the go-to guy for the future after last season's playoffs. He became the starter for now, but not the go-to guy for the future. If you haven't noticed this already, Mike Gillis signed Cory Schneider to a three-year deal at an appealing cap hit with no NTC (No Trade Clause).

We did not make the decision to trade Luongo - Luongo has stated that he wants to leave. He said he's only willing to stay this season because it is a shortened one. If Luongo can be convinced to stay, and Schneider proves to not be able to perform the way Luongo did last season with pressure of another starter sitting on the bench, then I can easily see us stick with Luongo.

Luongo is the better goaltender with a proven pedigree and experience. I think he will take over the starting job from the younger goaltender, as you fear, and take us on a big playoff run just like another old-time goaltender did 2 years back for Boston.

As for Schneider's confidence, don't worry. Tuukka Rask is fine right now. So will Schneider. Best case scenario in this shortened season for the Canucks is to win the Stanley Cup with Luongo (if he can take the #1 job away from Schneider as I think he can), then trade him for assets (because Luongo will want to leave regardless IMO) and make Schneider the undisputed #1 next season. If Luongo wants to stay, then trade Schneider. We have Lack and Cannata getting ready.

Edited by Dasein, 20 January 2013 - 04:01 PM.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#40 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

We did not make the decision to trade Luongo - Luongo has stated that he wants to leave.

Uhhhh...WTF??? Pulling your starter in favour of the backup against LA was pretty much the writing on the wall. Yes the decision has been made.

#41 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,286 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

Uhhhh...WTF??? Pulling your starter in favour of the backup against LA was pretty much the writing on the wall. Yes the decision has been made.

Uhhhh...No. LOL.

Fact is, we have two elite goaltenders: Luongo and Schneider. Fact is, our coach will play whoever that will win us games - that is either Luongo or Schneider - whoever is playing better. Currently, Schneider has the upper edge because he last started for us in the playoffs over Luongo. But nothing is written on the wall yet, and no decision has been made.

It may seem to you that this goaltending controversy is an entirely unique situation befallen to the Canucks. Not so. You only need to look to the 2011 Stanley Cup championship team to know that it isn't, and it is never written on the wall.

Tim Thomas was the undisputed starter in 2009, but lost the starting job the younger talented Tuukka Rask in 2010. Many people in Boston wanted Thomas out, for he was old and had a relatively high cap hit that could have been utilized to build a championship team around Rask. Boston's GM Chiarelli held put, and Thomas won the starting job back from Rask in 2011 and never looked back, winning the Stanley Cup, the Conn Smythe and the Vezina.

We have not come to a decision. We have two elite goaltenders who will battle for the #1 job. Schneider played in last season's playoffs because he was the best chance we had. Right now? That can't be said.

The "Schneider is the undisputed #1" crap is the simplified explanation that the media feeds down the less-informed fans' throats, and hence the majority of our fans think Schneider is the #1. Not so. Not yet. Our situation is and always will be "The best goaltender plays".

Edited by Dasein, 20 January 2013 - 04:19 PM.

#42 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

Uhhhh...No. LOL.

Fact is, we have two elite goaltenders: Luongo and Schneider. Fact is, our coach will play whoever that will win us games - that is either Luongo or Schneider - whoever is playing better. Currently, Schneider has the upper edge because he last started for us in the playoffs over Luongo. But nothing is written on the wall yet, and no decision has been made.

It may seem to you that this goaltending controversy is an entirely unique situation befallen to the Canucks. Not so. You only need to look to the 2011 Stanley Cup championship team to know that it isn't, and it is never written on the wall.

Tim Thomas was the undisputed starter in 2009, but lost the starting job the younger talented Tuukka Rask in 2010. Many people in Boston wanted Thomas out, for he was old and had a relatively high cap hit that could have been utilized to build a championship team around Rask. Boston's GM Chiarelli held put, and Thomas won the starting job back from Rask in 2011 and never looked back, winning the Stanley Cup, the Conn Smythe and the Vezina.

We have not come to a decision. We have two elite goaltenders who will battle for the #1 job. Schneider played in last season's playoffs because he was the best chance we had. Right now? That can't be said.

The "Schneider is the undisputed #1" crap is the simplified explanation that the media feeds down the less-informed fans' throats, and hence the majority of our fans think Schneider is the #1. Not so. Not yet. Our situation is and always will be "The best goaltender plays".

I guess i must be a "less-informed fan" but hey whatever you say! Its a fact right? You seem to know exactly what's going on in the dressing room. We'll see who's here next season that's all i gotta say. Oh and Boston situation and our situation are nothing alike.. Boston wasn't shopping Thomas all summer. We can agree to disagree cause i really don't give a flying frack with arguing back and fourth on the internet.

#43 AllHailSmyl

AllHailSmyl

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

Not surprised Luongo is playing. Schneider could've stood on his head, bailed out the D and gotten a shutout last night and I'm sure they still would've played Luongo tonight. To play back-to-back nights with no preseason and a quick training camp is asking a lot out of your body. Groin pull is probably on the goalie radar right now, especially since they are on the ice for (mostly) 60 minutes.

I'm still worried about other key players in the lineup pushing too hard too quickly, but at least no one really pushed too hard after the 1st period last night outside of the crease ;)

By the way learn how to spell SHIRIKOV who is this shirakov

Amazingly on his first shift Kassian would have had a breakaway if Kesler knew how to pass. And he still got switched with Weiss. And note it is "Weiss" not "Wise".

#44 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,286 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

I guess i must be a "less-informed fan" but hey whatever you say! Its a fact right? You seem to know exactly what's going on in the dressing room. We'll see who's here next season that's all i gotta say. Oh and Boston situation and our situation are nothing alike.. Boston wasn't shopping Thomas all summer. We can agree to disagree cause i really don't give a flying frack with arguing back and fourth on the internet.

Yes, you are:

Although Boston was surprisingly knocked out of the postseason by Carolina in the conference semifinals, Thomas' efforts were still enough to earn him the Vezina trophy as the NHL's top goaltender.

But this past season, the 36-year-old Thomas took a plunge for the ages. Despite a still-decent .915 save percentage, Thomas was just 17-18-8 with 104 total goals allowed by midseason, just 10 fewer than he gave up in all of the previous year.

By then, Thomas was seeing fewer and fewer starts, and by spring, the veteran was using up $5 million in cap space on the bench.

However, shockingly, Boston wasn't doomed. Young 23-year-old Finnish goaltender Tuukka Rask stepped into Thomas' place and nearly duplicated Thomas' efforts in 2008-2009. Posting a league-leading .931 save percentage and 1.97 GAA, Rask stepped up his game and led Boston to the sixth seed despite Thomas' crash.

Not surprisingly, the Bruins are now looking to cut their ties with the veteran. Even before the NHL free-agent market opened on July 1st, talks of a trade for Thomas were ongoing with reported teams such as Tampa Bay, San Jose, and Philadelphia.

http://bleacherrepor...-for-tim-thomas

Last line of this article:

Thomas waived his no-movement clause two years ago at this time. Prior to the 2010 draft in Los Angeles, the Bruins considered trading him.

http://www.boston.co...o_trade_clause/

Of course, opinions are opinions, and we can agree to disagree as to where we stand on how we see the current goaltending situation. However, I guess we can agree on one thing: you don't have things to back up the things that you say, but I do.

Edited by Dasein, 20 January 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#45 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,595 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

The only reason this situation is working at all is the quality of the idividuals,especially what should be the disaffected party,Luo.

Luo could have held out,demanded or been a jerk and he has been anything but.

#46 enterin

enterin

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

I'd rather just get Mckinnon in the draft. I doubt even if we finished last in the league that we would get him, but maybe we could trade up I dono. I'm not saying the canucks are done this season by any means, just thinking we need talented young players for the future, be nice to get two first rounders this year :)

Yeah lets pull off what Edmonton oiler team did or let say Pittsburgh lol

Edited by enterin, 20 January 2013 - 04:47 PM.

#47 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,569 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Yes, you are:

Last line of this article:

Of course, opinions are opinions, and we can agree to disagree as to where we stand on how we see the current goaltending situation. However, I guess we can agree on one thing: you don't have things to back up the things that you say, but I do.

Ouch... That bobo dude just got owned...

#48 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Ouch... That bobo dude just got owned...

hold on now bleacher report is a legitimate source??? LOL. Oh the Bruins "considered" trading Thomas? Sure.. Its still day and night from the Luongo situation get real. Like i said before we'll see whos here next season and that person will be schneider.

#49 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

Actually, a decision doesn't have to be made quick.

regards,
G.

Not if we want a top 10 pick this year :)

It's okay no matter what happens, this core has had a good run.

Best wishes,
S.T.

#50 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

Actually, a decision doesn't have to be made quick.

regards,
G.

Lmao Nice argument there bud. :picard:

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#51 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,569 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

hold on now bleacher report is a legitimate source??? LOL. Oh the Bruins "considered" trading Thomas? Sure.. Its still day and night from the Luongo situation get real. Like i said before we'll see whos here next season and that person will be schneider.

You have officially change from ill informed to....

Wait, I can't say it here.

Two of the links has shown you that Boston did indeed shop Thomas and considered trading him at that time. This is the opposite of what you claimed.

You have to be an ***** to not to acknowledge this.

Edited by Piggy1983, 20 January 2013 - 07:41 PM.

#52 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

So, basically, he doesn't trust Schneider anymore after ONE game? Man, that speaks a lot about his confidence in Schneider. To risk the possibility of being yanked in back to back games is ridiculous. If he doesn't trust Schneider anymore after only one game, we've got a huge problem here.

Actually, good sir (or madam), AV already told everyone he would be starting Luongo tonight before yesterday's game. After the game, all he did was confirm that he would NOT be changing his game plan.Therefore, no one is "losing trust in Schneider", the Canucks are simply sticking with the game plan....

From what I can see, the problem we have here is Canucks fans panicking over one loss.

Edited by monkeydluffy, 20 January 2013 - 08:59 PM.

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#53 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

Not if we want a top 10 pick this year :)

It's okay no matter what happens, this core has had a good run.

Best wishes,
S.T.

There are three time periods when Luongo could be traded: after the playoffs; at the trade deadline; any time prior to the trade deadline.

I do not see Luongo being here for the playoffs. If he is moved at the trade deadline then that may be when the team can get the greatest return.

If Luongo is moved prior to the trade deadline then there would either have to be a desperate need (and no, the situation after one game and counting isn't desperate), or there's a really good offer.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.