141 replies to this topic

#91 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:42 AM

My goodness, I went to the Oilers game on Sunday and it was so dead. The Oilers fans were louder than the Canucks fans, it was so embarrassing... a number of "Let's Go Oilers" chants went up, and there were only perhaps a few hundred Edmonton fans there, but they easily matched if not shouted over the halfhearted "Go Canucks Go" chants. I only get to go to one game per year, and I can't even stand up and cheer that much... if I do, everyone around me's just gonna stare, judging like "what?! standing up at a hockey game?! outrageous!!" I'm not a vocal or outgoing person, but give me a good hockey game and I'd be on my feet with the rest of the crowd. It has nothing to do with the music, its the culture of the upper class in this city, where its embarrassing to care about things...

Well said

Edited by Canuck-a-nuck, 22 January 2013 - 04:43 AM.

Posted Image

#92 Carson Graham

Carson Graham

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

Sunday night was quiet. The game wasn't exciting. So many scoring opportunities missed. At some point Oilers' fans were chanting "Lets go Oilers". The Kassian fight was a brief distraction but it all fizzled out.....and you all know how the shootout went!

#93 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

It would help if the ushers/staff didn't try to enforce "indoor voices only" and "no standing" policies. When you're paying $200+ a ticket, you really don't want to get kicked out in the first period for saying "f*** yeah" after a goal or blocking some short person's view and getting called in.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#94 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

I used to live in Van and went to lots of games circa '80s '90's. The fans were always high energy and loud. I watch the games on TV now and you can hear a pin drop at times. What a lathargic bunch! Can you imagine what these fans would do with the white towel incident? They'd probably clap their hands. I think the fans are spoiled by the product/results on the ice and have become apathetic. It's a shame, really.

#95 EddieVedder

EddieVedder

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

I agree.. look at the teams that have won the past few decade or so despite their environment. Carolina, Tampa, NJ, Anaheim, and even Detroit and Los Angeles have arenas not at capacity and as quiet as ours.

#96 CanuckofSteel

CanuckofSteel

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

POPULAR

Hello everybody,

I am new on here and just had to say something about the Canucks fans at Rogers Arena.

First of all, I know there may be some topics on this but I just had to make this to get my point across.

The fans that go to the games are very, very quiet! I mean it is even quieter than a library, why are people at Canucks games so boring?

I know everyone blames "suits," who I understand are businessmen (not sure), but I feel that even the regular fans that go to the games do not make noise. The fans that sit in the upper bowl and the fans that sit in the lower bowl are always just sitting there and not making any noise, they are either talking with someone or just on their cell phone.

I have been to many Canucks games since 2003 (not season ticket holder), I remember that even the pre-season games had more noise back then. As the years have gone by the crowd noise has decreased except for playoffs but even sometimes its quiet at a playoff game. The fans need to engage them self into the game and to start making noise, they need to show their passion.

The only chant we have now is "Go Canucks Go!" What happened to chants like "Oilers Suck!" or "Kiiippprrruuuusssooofff!" (mocking the opposing goalie). Let's start making noise, the only thing makes noise is the announcer on the PA.

So come on Canuck fans, let's get creative, show our passion, and cheer our hearts out at Rogers Arena.

Sorry for making it so long, just really makes me mad at how quiet it is.

Go Canucks!

slo802.jpg

Thanks for the sweet sig Justdean10

#97 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

You must be new here
Posted Image

#98 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,387 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

Loud arenas are overrated.

Patriots have one of the deadest stadiums in the NFL, I hate them, but they have been one of the most successful teams of the decade.

#99 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

The fans at RA are as boring and tired as this topic
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#100 morrissex95

morrissex95

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

If the team could win a cup than the arena would be louder.
Posted Image

#101 CanuckofSteel

CanuckofSteel

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

Maybe it's because I see Seahawks fans, BC Lions fans, and even Whitecaps fans always cheering loudly and then you have Canucks fans.

slo802.jpg

#102 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

When new, it's always good to read the board rules and use the search engine before posting new topics

http://forum.canucks...t-rogers-arena/

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 26 January 2013 - 09:27 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#103 CanuckofSteel

CanuckofSteel

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Can this be put into that topic or something?

slo802.jpg

#104 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,604 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

Cheaper booze, problem solved.

#105 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,874 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

The fans that sit in the upper bowl and the fans that sit in the lower bowl are always just sitting there and not making any noise, they are either talking with someone or just on their cell phone.

Upper bowl sometimes gets rowdy and that's where the "real fans" sit. Lower bowl is way too quiet.

307mg00.jpg

#106 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

Had we won 5-0 in any of our first home games, I am not so sure we'd be having this conversation. Just sayin.
Posted Image

#107 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

ok, so the Canucks are in a sense the victims of their own success. there's a lot of people who really care who just can't afford the tix. honestly, i'm not fretting about it. in american football, having a loud crowd on defense is very important (e.g., Seahawks causing the most false start penalties of any team).

i'm not sure the correlation is that strong in hockey. (anaheim, carolina, tampa, nj, dallas....)

i suppose it's a bit embarrassing, but hey it's still one of the best arenas in the league
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#108 PONCHE

PONCHE

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

You must be new here

When new, it's always good to read the board rules and use the search engine before posting new topics

Posted Image

#109 darkpoet

darkpoet

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

It will be the Stanley Cup Final.
10,000+ people will miss the winning goal because they are either checking their stock options, talking to their lawyer (or they ARE the lawyer being spoken to), dumb chicks tweeting useless sh!t, metrosexual boys exchanging fashion tips, GF's BF's texting madly about anything and everything that has nothing to do with hockey...

The other 5,000 or less will be cheering and totally into the game.. until an "usher" threatens them with removal because they refuse to adhere to the rules of Rogers Place which include: not paying attention to the hockey game whatsoever. Do not cheer too loudly, if you do, do so quietly as to not offend or annoy those around you. Drink. By all means, spend $100 on 5 beers for you and your girlfriend.. but don't enjoy it, you'll be excommunicated.
Also, don't ever. EVER get up out of your seat. You may obscure the view of many people sitting around you who have chosen to OBEY OBEY OBEY and remain in their seats timidly, sipping over priced beer they cannot enjoy.

Welcome to Vancouver.

Edited by darkpoet, 26 January 2013 - 11:12 PM.

#110 Drive-By Body Pierce

Drive-By Body Pierce

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

10,000+ people will miss the winning goal because they are either checking their stock options, talking to their lawyer (or they ARE the lawyer being spoken to), dumb chicks tweeting useless sh!t, metrosexual boys exchanging fashion tips, GF's BF's texting madly about anything and everything that has nothing to do with hockey...

The other 5,000 or less will be cheering and totally into the game.. until an "usher" threatens them with removal because they refuse to adhere to the rules of Rogers Place which include: not paying attention to the hockey game whatsoever. Do not cheer too loudly, if you do, do so quietly as to not offend or annoy those around you. Drink. By all means, spend $100 on 5 beers for you and your girlfriend.. but don't enjoy it, you'll be excommunicated.
Also, don't ever. EVER get up out of your seat. You may obscure the view of many people sitting around you who have chosen to OBEY OBEY OBEY and remain in their seats timidly, sipping over priced beer they cannot enjoy.

Welcome to Vancouver.

You've been kicked out of a game too?

Posted Image

#111 Nashi

Nashi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:41 PM

People are too lazy to scream I guess. :bigblush:

canucks141.png

#112 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,960 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

Maybe it's because I see Seahawks fans, BC Lions fans, and even Whitecaps fans always cheering loudly and then you have Canucks fans.

I fell asleep at the Whitecaps game. I'd much rather watch a quiet, but very exciting Canucks game than a loud, but extremely boring Whitecaps game.

When the crowd is more entertaining than the on-ice/on-field product, that's a bad sign.

#113 canucklesmith

canucklesmith

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

Ive been going to games since the late 80's and it has never been this bad with regard to fan noise. The Colleseum seemed to have a more colorfull crowd with people yelling from all areas of the building. They were way more engaged and nasty, especially with the refs.

Now we've had a bunch of success, there's a lot of new and casual fans at the game and they don't realize that hockey games are suppose to be the same experience as watching a movie.

Also management seems to foster a more family, corportate environment. Ushers get involved as soon as there's a sniff of any rowdyness.

Maybe this is how Gillis and Aquillini want it?

#114 Christophe

Christophe

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:02 AM

Yup it's terrible. Too many factors stated above contribute to it.

Doesn't help that ticket prices are insane and the "real" fans can't really afford to go all the time.

I can't remember if it was this offseason or not, but Bieksa commented on it, pretty much saying it's hard to play in Roger Arena sometimes due to the lack of adrenaline etc etc they get off the crowd.

I don't think people understand how much the crowd commits to a game. You give the home team adrenaline, energy, and most of all a reason to play.

It's so infuriating to watch Canuck games after watching home teams play in San Jose, Winnipeg, Nashville for example. All those arenas are rocking and makes it so much harder for the opposition to come in and play without getting intimidated.

Any of you that regularily visit Canuck games at home. PLEASE, I beg of you. Be noisy! Chant, yell, sing. I don't care. Anything is better than sitting there being quiet and sucking the life out of the building.

#115 j3ff

j3ff

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

The opposing goalies always ends up getting chirped by the fans at all the games I go to (if we're winning or close game)

Overall noise level is pathetic though unless Canucks score

#116 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:13 AM

I often try and make the effort of going to Canucks games at least twice a year. Every time, it's very hard to start a chant. I would hear surrounding fans around me, especially in the upper bowl, and I would join in. Cheer as loud as I can, try and get everyone else to. But nobody joins in. So we just shut up. That's the whole story. Sad to say.... Because normally, there will always be only one Go Canucks Go chant throughout the entire game that ends up being very loud and that's it.

I can't start chants because I'm not the type of person who can start things like that, but if someone is trying to, then yes, I will join in and contribute as loud as I can.

I think the only successful crowd involvement that occurs at Rogers Arena is the wave. And even then, that's almost a rarity on a game to game basis.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#117 Eh! Team

Eh! Team

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:20 AM

Rogers Arena sucks. When you can actually hear the traffic outside while the game is on something is wrong. People seem weirded out by each other there. It's like everyone wants to be there, just nobody wants to stand up and cheer because they have this fear that people are gonna look down at them for being normal and not a vegetable.

This is why the only 2 fans that have anything to add to the night wear costumes so nobody knows who they are for real.

This is why I stopped going to games.

#118 Bagofcats

Bagofcats

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:18 AM

Welcome to Vancouver.

It is This. The Rogers Arena crowd represents an accurate cross-section of people and culture of Vancouver. It's a melting pot. You will have people getting drunk, cheering, texting, day dreaming, talking etc. It doesn't help that a significant amount of games are boring because the canucks lack consistent intensity and because of that, can't persuade the crowd out of their normal routines and therefore fail at engaging them consistently.

Edited by Bagofcats, 27 January 2013 - 02:20 AM.

#119 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,018 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:33 AM

Cheaper booze, problem solved.

then u will have fights all over the place.. or drunks standing and yelling the whole game...

#120 hockeywoot

hockeywoot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

You've been kicked out of a game too?

I have too.

I haven't been to a game at RA in years. Its way too quiet.
For that price, I should be able to cheer as loudly and passionately as I want.
Having to "tone it down" is ridiculous. It takes away from the overall experience.

They should consider having a rowdy section.
Perhaps with standing room.
Loud, rowdy people can be loud and rowdy without affecting others.

Having a concentrated group of vocal fans, would be much more effective in
getting and sustaining chants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.