The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks D-Man Overpaid?

Patrick Jane

5 games in and people want to blow up our defence core.

Both Edler and Bieksa would have been snatched up in free agency and would be making at least what they are with the Canucks.

Tough, high scoring D men are in big demand. They are core players and trading them would have a very negative affect on the team.

To say one is overpaid, you need to compare them to other players you know ...

http://capgeek.com/c...2012&player=663

That's all the $4M to $5M defensemen in the league. There are only a couple guys on there that are arguably better than Hamhuis, Bieksa, and Edler. The jury is still out on Garrison (I think he's fine for the $$ personally).

I don't think you're to get much argument on Ballard. He hasn't played very well since coming to Vancouver and everyone knows it.

Overpaid? Absolutely! As are many D-men throughout the league. The question should really be; What value are we getting for the big money being paid? In reality some of these guys could have gotten more on the open market(Edler)but the play of our "top" D-men has been atrocious so far. I like Edler's potential but he is still showing some of the dumb play that cost us some big goals in the playoffs with LA last year. After that debacle he is rewarded with big money. Lesson learned? Hmmmm!Every game so far this year he has made some huge blunders. He needs to be held more accountable for his play but all I see is him being rewarded with more ice time. Yes it's early but with the short season this year, before you know it, it will be too late. Realistically even for the die hard Canuck fan there is no warm fuzzy feeling that this team has a real chance at the Cup unless some key acquisitions are made and\or Kesler makes a miraculuos recovery after sitting out for a year. Even when he comes back, how good can he be?

We pay them for their offence because mostly the attacking lines are mediocre. Lu does the defence on his own...........that's how it works and that is how this team has been set up.

Me? I'm tired of it, it's high time our goalies got some help/protection and it's high time our attack pulled their weight.

Bieksa is also a special kind of defenseman, which is why he's being paid $4.6. For all the defensive lapses he goes through from time to time, he's an underrated offensive defenseman, and I'm not just talking about the points. He's a great skating defenseman who, if you pay attention, is adept at skating the puck into the zone and creating chances. He also adds a toughness element that none of our other defenseman have and is usually only reserved for bottom pairing depth defensemen.

Basically, you have a smooth skating, 40+ point defenseman who can play the PP, the PK and fight. That's why he gets paid the big bucks and that's why I'm glad to have him in Vancouver. Some of you don't realize it but you expect perfection from every player. If none of our players had the shortcomings you all love to point out, the Canucks would have a 100+ million dollar payroll because the roster would be made up of all the best players in the NHL. Start looking at the unique traits some of the Canucks' players bring to the table and take the bad with the loads of good.

Overpaid? Yes. Overpaid for market value? Hell no. Most of our defensemen (with the exception of Ballard who is starting to earn his keep) would have made way more on the open market. I don't think Canuck fans realize how much defensemen make on the open market. People would have thrown money at Juice and Edler.

Even Garrison who has only had a few games to adapt to a new team and their system is already thrown under the bus. And for your information he had two good years and not just one. He was great as a shutdown guy the year before. He did take a pay cut to play here and yet many of you are judging him on a new team after a few games? It's not easy to learn the tendencies of your defensive partners and the forwards back checking in such a short amount of time.

Even Ryan Suter who was so coveted and paid 10 million is not playing well right now and still adjusting to his new teams system. You can't just jump into a new environment and expect to just fit in and know how everyone plays right away.

Ballard and Edler are the only ones overpaid.

Edler's offensive game isn't near where it needs to be for the most part and his defensive game has been absolutely brutal in all 5 games and the his whole terrible series against LA he's on a long bad run.

I am sure Bieksa (hit and miss so far) Hamhuis ( surprisingly struggling) and Garrison ( looking good for the most part goals will come) will all come around and earn their money but i doubt Edler and Ballard will.

Ehrhoff wanted "too much money" by our standards

He signed for $4 mill per season in Buffalo.

We're paying $4.5 mill to Garrison in a hope that he can fill the void left by Ehrhoff

Makes me wonder if we should have just shut our yaps and paid up for Ehrhoff. He was good and our blueline still lacks what he brought

Garrison underpaid?!?! He has been AWFUL so far! I know he needs to adjust but there are a few simple skills he should have.. Who cares about some mystical "big shot" when he:

-falls while pivoting

-gives bouncing passes to his d partner (on a powerplay)

-skates forward towards our net when the other team is making a play into our zone (player with the puck feet behind him, if only he could see him..)

-cannot stop a pass/clearing attempt at the blue line

-doesn't hit whatsoever

I really miss Salo, he was so reliable when healthy.. Not to mention Ehrhoff.

Ehrhoff wanted "too much money" by our standards

He signed for $4 mill per season in Buffalo.

We're paying $4.5 mill to Garrison in a hope that he can fill the void left by Ehrhoff

Makes me wonder if we should have just shut our yaps and paid up for Ehrhoff. He was good and our blueline still lacks what he brought

As long as Edler is the cornerstone of the blueline, the Canucks will suffer. He is not a leader. He is inconsistent, and lacks any edge or grit. He was responsible for the loss last night. Instead of clearing the crease, he screened Luongo. Great job.

He is barely worth the 5 M he makes, but as long as he does one coast to coast each year, the CDC Edler faithful will defend him to death.

If the Canucks tank, don't expect him back next season.

Archived