The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison so far?

Go Go Canucks Go

:picard:

No concept of player values.

He's only played 2 seasons prior to this one FULL TIME. Out of those 2 seasons, only 1 was a good one. You don't give 4.6M for 6 years to a player who had 1 good season. That's like if Jonathan Cheechoo was signed for 6 years at 7M for his 56 goal season. You're clueless if you think Garrison is worth anything near what he got.

CDC has been wrong about a lot of players over the years, but I don't think they've ever been AS wrong as they are about Garrison. A 4.6 cap hit for an elite defender who can chip in with above average offense is a damn bargain.

<_< mmhmm..

And you're basing this off what? His one good season? Out of the 2 full seasons that he's had? :picard:

I don't understand why we just didn't keep Ehrhoff. He wanted to stay, he's a far better puck mover and Skater than Garrison, we went the cup finals with him, and his cap hit is only 4M after he had a 50 point season! Maybe his term is a little long, but the cap is low and you know you're getting 5-6 good years out of him.

He is amazingly strong .. if he finished his checks he would hurt people .. 28 hits in 32 games .. that is the only part of his game I hope he picks up .. otherwise it must be "hats off" to Gillis ..

I think those stats are misleading. Garrison plays a shutdown style of physical game - he doesn't hit to lay people out, he hits and sticks to players - he contains and overpowers them. He wins the vast majority of board battles imo. In those circumstances, I don't realy care about his hit stats. The bottom line is that he separates people from the puck, and imo his style of doing so is actually more efficient and consistent than focusing on throwing hits.

There's also a downside to throwing hits or making a priority of doing so - watch Dion Phaneuf's game for example - so many people covet him because of the odd successful big hit, but the risks he takes when he hits (and misses) are significant, and his shotty dzone coverage is part of that style. I'd take Garrison's few hits and much greater efficiency anyday and everyday.

I don't understand why we just didn't keep Ehrhoff. He wanted to stay, he's a far better puck mover and Skater than Garrison, we went the cup finals with him, and his cap hit is only 4M after he had a 50 point season! Maybe his term is a little long, but the cap is low and you know you're getting 5-6 good years out of him.

We offered Ehrhoff the same deal as Bieksa and he turned it down in favour of a deal with longer term and more money up front. Now, we have a defender who will likely be a playoff performer yet can also fill in the gap left by Salo's departure for years to come. It wasn't the best seeing Ehrhoff go, but certainly not for lack of trying.

We offered Ehrhoff the same deal as Bieksa and he turned it down in favour of a deal with longer term and more money up front. Now, we have a defender who will likely be a playoff performer yet can also fill in the gap left by Salo's departure for years to come. It wasn't the best seeing Ehrhoff go, but certainly not for lack of trying.

We could have gotten Ehrhoff for a cap less than Bieksa's. That's what I don't get. The term is longer sure, and there's a bit of a signing bonus, but I like to think this team can afford to pay it. And Garrison has very few playoff games under his belt so you can't really say he will be better. What bothers me is Garrison getting a fat contract after 2 full seasons in the NHL. Guys like the Sedins and Kesler had like 8 seasons before getting their pay raise. I don't think Garrison deserved what he got.

I'm becoming more and more impressed with Garrison's improvements throughout the season. I said a long time ago when our D were really struggling that there was still lots of season left and that by the time the post season comes along they should be playing to potential. So far it looks as though it might actually pan out that way. If our D (esp. Edler) begin to play to full potential, well, I say to the opposition in the playoffs: "look out!"

This post season could be interesting and I think our boys could really surprise a lot of folks.

I think those stats are misleading. Garrison plays a shutdown style of physical game - he doesn't hit to lay people out, he hits and sticks to players - he contains and overpowers them. He wins the vast majority of board battles imo. In those circumstances, I don't realy care about his hit stats. The bottom line is that he separates people from the puck, and imo his style of doing so is actually more efficient and consistent than focusing on throwing hits.

There's also a downside to throwing hits or making a priority of doing so - watch Dion Phaneuf's game for example - so many people covet him because of the odd successful big hit, but the risks he takes when he hits (and misses) are significant, and his shotty dzone coverage is part of that style. I'd take Garrison's few hits and much greater efficiency anyday and everyday.

I agree entirely .. the only upside to Garrison finishing more checks, when they are spread out in front of them, will be to force forwards to keep their head up more .. Phaneuf is a waste of space, allowing so many odd-man situations with his "kill or miss" mentality ..

I expect him to start hitting a bit more as he gets comfortable with the system .. if you watch him, he sometimes shoes a forward with one hand and puts them on their arse .. his strength could become a scary attribute if he used it a bit more often ..

Not high-risk hits .. finishing checks that are there to be had .. will make him an even better shut-down defender .. best of both worlds ..

We could have gotten Ehrhoff for a cap less than Bieksa's. That's what I don't get. The term is longer sure, and there's a bit of a signing bonus, but I like to think this team can afford to pay it. And Garrison has very few playoff games under his belt so you can't really say he will be better. What bothers me is Garrison getting a fat contract after 2 full seasons in the NHL. Guys like the Sedins and Kesler had like 8 seasons before getting their pay raise. I don't think Garrison deserved what he got.

Moot point .. he went to Buffalo because they have a better chance to win the Cup .. according to Christian, it was never about money .. :lol:

Can't be giving gillis ALL The credit for signing Hamhuis and Garrison since they would have probably signed with the Canucks once they reached UFA regardless of who the GM in Van was.

Just like we can't be giving Burke and Nonis all the credit for the core players considering they may not have been able to re-sign them to deals that were affordable enough to keep them all together? Anyone remember just how close we were to having to move a defenceman in the 2010/2011 season? Even then it wasn't until Salo got injured that we were able to use the LTI exemption (along with Edler iirc) to keep everyone here. Would that have been possible if we didn't have the Sedins on affordable deals? That was the year we made it to the SCF, partly because Gillis helped keep everyone intact.

I like him. He is quiet and goes about his business. He has been one of the consistent guys who has helped drag us through this difficult period.

I thought he was too slow but he seems quicker as he settles in to the systems.

He signed a 10 year deal that takes him until he's 38. Considering the new CBA restrictions and penalties for back diving contracts, it's probably for the best we didn't sign multiple players (beyond Luongo) to that type of deal.

Garrison was partially a product of the UFA market, and other players driving up the price. Gillis was also aware of the cost to get a solid defensive D-man who had also had one year of pretty darn good goal production, and that Schultz had passed as well as Salo not taking the deal he'd offered, so it was a worthwhile risk as far as I'm concerned.

I like him. He is quiet and goes about his business. He has been one of the consistent guys who has helped drag us through this difficult period.

I thought he was too slow but he seems quicker as he settles in to the systems.

He looked slow because he wasn't in position.

Now he knows the Canuck system he isn't that half step too far away from his coverage.

He was never a slow skater.

He looked slow because he wasn't in position.

Now he knows the Canuck system he isn't that half step too far away from his coverage.

He was never a slow skater.

He's certainly not a fast skater, but his positioning does play a significant factor into how out of place he looked early on.

He's only played 2 seasons prior to this one FULL TIME. Out of those 2 seasons, only 1 was a good one. You don't give 4.6M for 6 years to a player who had 1 good season. That's like if Jonathan Cheechoo was signed for 6 years at 7M for his 56 goal season. You're clueless if you think Garrison is worth anything near what he got.

Market value is determined by a number of factors other than just years played. You do realize other teams were offering up more money to get him as well right? He is making less then market value for a top two D man.

Archived