The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Too soon to panic... but 1 change would be nice

nuck luck

Always been a fan of AV, except for his stubborn idea that he'd rather go we people he's confortable instead of going with who's hot or giving someone else a shot.

Schroeder has been playing well, protects the puck, no stupid turnover, created some offense. Burrows is not a natural center/playmaker.

Why isn't he on the 2nd line with Burrows and Higgins(or Raymond). Yes Burrows scored in the last 2 games, but those we're pretty much his only scoring chances he had. Higgins is not a threat offensively.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Raymond-Schroeder-Burrows

Hansen-Lapierre-Higgins (or Manny is Lappy is injured)

Who cares about the 4th line (Weise is playing well, but no way he should be higher than 4th line)

When Booth and Kesler come back it will be a big help. I like Kassian with the sedin so when they come back I see the lines will be

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Booth-kesler-Raymond

Hansen-burrows-Higgins

Weise-malhotra-Lappiere

AV is a good coach but your right, if a coach does become available, for example Mike Babcock( not saying hes going to just using him as an example) AV will be fired and he will be hired.

Fair enough... I should have worded it differently. I would just like him to inspire the boys! You've heard some of the famous speeches given before an important game in all professional sports.... I'm not asking for Herb Brooks speech before the US - Soviet game. I just want something that will at least motivate the team, that's what his job is.

I think good coaches will take a timeout if the team is lacking focus and try and use it to his advantage. Give the guys a breather, let them gather their bearings, try to set up plays or at the the very least.....say something to change the momentum. If AV uses it, my jaw drops..... I'm not saying he doesn't use it, but not near enough.

I haven't seen the boys with that fire or enthusiasm since the Boston game last year... and there's plenty of situations where it would have been nice to see during the early Playoff exits and the Finals.

To NYR: AV, Weise, Ebbet

To Van: Torts, Asham

In all seriousness though, our whole coaching staff gets out coached by anyone decent. They are likeable, but that doesn't mean they're good at what they do. AV has his boys and they can do no wrong, he also has absolutely no idea how to get more out of his players or be creative. Bowness's defense should be way better, he needs to assess the pairings better and put a leash on the free wheeling weak ass play in our end. Smart smash mouth defense, if you don't block shots sit on the bench no matter who you are.. Don't even get me started on special teams..

The Sedins are not scoring.Burr got the brothers the puck.

The D no longer has a legitimate- Salo/Ehrhoff -offensive threat.Eddy looks lost out there.Garrison is not an offensive threat.

Missing Kesler means all the focus is on the twins and his loss of f/o supremacy.

Having the GM put a cloud over your goaltending is not helping the team in the least bit.

Kesler may never come back to form.Time to trade for a D man and legitimate 2c.

AV needs to go.

He already admits that he doesn't say anything to the guys in the locker room and that he leaves it to them.

Obviously he's been here to long and leaves it to the team.

They need a coach who will coach not rely on the teams talent and same old plays.

Even the fans watching at home can tell teams how to play against the Nucks.

Who is your better coach? Com on now, who? Course, you prolly have a "magic" coach who has never won a cup, but you feel has a miracle cure for our team that AV is too blind to see, but you see it, and your coach see it. Now, come on, name the coach, and tell me why he is better, how many times he has been the the Finals, and how many cups he has won, and why he would walk away from the team he is coaching. It is easy to criticize, much harder to come up with a solution.

I'm not saying he's a bad coach....and there aren't many options out there so I prefer to keep him for now. But, if one becomes available....I think AV's gotta go.

Sure, AV's got us to the playoffs every year.....but not many coaches wouldn't have considering the roster and the division we're in.

Lets respond to some of this.

Firstly, the young players are playing good because their season opened earlier (Chicago) and so they are in game shape. The vets are suffering from the delayed season start.

I skipped down a bit, but you are talking about "sitting back playing a defensive game". Thats not what the coach wanted, that is what tired players who played the night before were capable of versus a team rested and pushing desperately in the third period. You make it seem like AV told them to hang back, as opposed to their tired legs forcing them to hang back.

What are AV's roster mistakes? Who did you want out there last night that wasn't out there? Kes? Booth? Injured. Jason Arnott, who we didn't sign? He didn't pass physical with the Rangers. Anyway, who? What was the mistake, not playing Alberts?

What O/D line do you mean? Are you suggesting "mad scramble" and playing KB3/Eddie, Hammer/Ballie, Garrison/Tanev? Course, we've never seen that, except KB3/Eddie, which sucks BTW, so what were you looking for? And Offensive lines, I have no idea what you are talking about. Suggest better.

AV turns mute. So you think spewing changes a refs mind? Like Tortorella, or McLellan? It has cause and effect when a GM says it to a reporter. BUT, it always comes with a price. Fine, etc. So, use sparingly.

Who is your better coach? Com on now, who? Course, you prolly have a "magic" coach who has never won a cup, but you feel has a miracle cure for our team that AV is too blind to see, but you see it, and your coach see it. Now, come on, name the coach, and tell me why he is better, how many times he has been the the Finals, and how many cups he has won, and why he would walk away from the team he is coaching. It is easy to criticize, much harder to come up with a solution.

Nice that you make this thread after a tired team loses to a very good team and AV uses his timeout near the end of the second period to try and help out his players. You have no idea what his actual interactions are like with the team apart from interviews and when you see him behind the bench.

I'm good with you having an opinion, but try to think things through a little and maybe even put it in one of the other threads where people are rating the Canucks, talking about the game last night, or ranting about the coaching.

He runs on emotion ,heart,and being one of the guys Without knowing him i would think he tries to convince his players instead of telling them What bothers me is his making excuses and saying things are going to be ok...Its ok to be in a panic without panicing the players People respect that..

You guys are about rallying cries and devotion to your team and each other. AV needs to show that luv not getting mean but get desperate to win

Do you guys have a sense of tradition ...Use it ...

• Third period agains LA he has them nurse a 1 goal lead while giving Tanev, who was arguably their best D man only 5 shifts.

• He sits the Sedins to protect the lead while he double shifts Hansen, HIggins, Burrows who play 3 shifts in 2:13 near the end of the period. On their 3rd shift, they can't clear on 2 attempts and LA scores. What a surprise...they were gassed!

• In OT, he benches Kassian who is the leading scorer and the only one creating chances.

• Schroeder, who has not been a defensive liability and was one of our best faceoff guys sits from the second period on.

• Is this how you manage a team that is playing their third game in 4 nights in a statement game. No wonder AV has chased players out of Vancouver. Tanev will want out if his great start this year is rewarded this way. Who else?

AV needs to go.

Archived