The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks vs Blackhawks 02/01/13 @Home

Strombone1

So you want to lay out a guy with a history of serious concussions and you expect him to walk away unscathed? I'm sure your comments were in the heat of the moment and you were feeding off of some other posts. But it sounds like there are a lot of Canucks fans on this board that want a see a Blackhawk permanently injured. A comment was made that hcokey is not soccer, this is very true but hockey is not UFC either. Let's not make a mockery out of our great game.

Yes, I said hockey is not soccer. But if you read the whole post you'd see that I'm not in favour of ending a players career , just getting revenge for a flagrant attempt at injuring one of our best players. A vicious but clean body check or ass-kicking is all I'm asking for here champ.

I have no issue with clean checks and being physical within the confines of the game. But we both know that's not what people are asking for in this thread. I wasn't calling you out on your post, I was just trying to say that hockey is more physical than soccer, but it's not like UFC either. I have no issue with the Canucks, I usually cheer for them when they're not playing Chicago. But some of the comments are just plain wrong:

"Anyone saying don't stoop their level is the problem. You better hit and take some cheap hits on them all night to send a message."

"I don't care what happens score wise. Somebody pull a bertuzzi and end toews career."

"If you really want to send a message, leave Keith alone, no talk, no dirty shots. Then someone absolutely lay out Hossa."

"Duncan Keith leaving on a stretcher would be worth losing the game imo."

"Doesn't matter if Keith agrees to the fight, Just drop the gloves and keep Vancouver neurologists employed."

By no means do I think these comments reflect all or even the majority of Canucks fan, but they go beyond the boundries of a good rivalry. We are fans of 2 great teams and we've had the best rivalry in hockey over the past few years. I'm all for trash talking and chirping back and forth, but like this. Would anyone here have the guts to tell Keith ti his face that he hopes he leaves the game on a stretcher?

Keith should leave on a stretcher. He cheap shotted one of the most sportsmanlike players in the game. Everyone respects Daniel in the league. Keith is a redneck. He did it right before playoffs... not only that Daniel was the reigning MVP. (Corey Perry won the Hart but he wasn't even nominated for the Lindsay which... Daniel was MVP.)

No, not everyone in the league respects Daniel.

Has Burrows ever taken a cheap shot at anyone? Should he leave a game on a stretcher too? I'm not defending what Keith did, he earned his suspension and he served it without complaining. Keith was reacting to a hit Daniel put on him. Daniel's hit wasn't as bad as Keith's but that's what I think Keith was doing. That's the thing about revenge, when does it end. Keith went overboard on his hit, does that make it ok for a Canuck to go overboard on Keith? If it does then you invite the Blackhawks to go overboard on the Canucks and it just keeps going. In a 48 game season you should have a lot more to worry about then getting revenge on something that happened last year.

I have no issue with clean checks and being physical within the confines of the game. But we both know that's not what people are asking for in this thread. I wasn't calling you out on your post, I was just trying to say that hockey is more physical than soccer, but it's not like UFC either. I have no issue with the Canucks, I usually cheer for them when they're not playing Chicago. But some of the comments are just plain wrong:

"Anyone saying don't stoop their level is the problem. You better hit and take some cheap hits on them all night to send a message."

"I don't care what happens score wise. Somebody pull a bertuzzi and end toews career."

"If you really want to send a message, leave Keith alone, no talk, no dirty shots. Then someone absolutely lay out Hossa."

"Doesn't matter if Keith agrees to the fight, Just drop the gloves and keep Vancouver neurologists employed."

By no means do I think these comments reflect all or even the majority of Canucks fan, but they go beyond the boundries of a good rivalry. We are fans of 2 great teams and we've had the best rivalry in hockey over the past few years. I'm all for trash talking and chirping back and forth, but not like this. Would anyone here have the guts to tell Keith to his face that he hopes he leaves the game on a stretcher?

You don't assault the leagues reigning MVP when he is no were near the Puck, take him out of the playoffs (the important first three games), and serve five games. Shanny is a complete idiot for only handing five games. If we are smart we won't retaliate until our last meeting of the season.

I won't argue with you there, Keith's actions were uncalled for. I was expecting him to get 5-10 games and I wouldn't have complained if he got 10.

The best retaliation would be to beat the Hawks on the score board. If you want to deter another team from abusing your players why does it have to be via a cheap shot and injure a player for the long term? If the Canucks play a physical came and stick up for themselves then they won't have a problem, but some players on the team allow other teams to push them around.

I won't argue with you there, Keith's actions were uncalled for. I was expecting him to get 5-10 games and I wouldn't have complained if he got 10.

The best retaliation would be to beat the Hawks on the score board. If you want to deter another team from abusing your players why does it have to be via a cheap shot and injure a player for the long term? If the Canucks play a physical came and stick up for themselves then they won't have a problem, but some players on the team allow other teams to push them around.

By no means do I think these comments reflect all or even the majority of Canucks fan, but they go beyond the boundries of a good rivalry. We are fans of 2 great teams and we've had the best rivalry in hockey over the past few years. I'm all for trash talking and chirping back and forth, but not like this. Would anyone here have the guts to tell Keith to his face that he hopes he leaves the game on a stretcher?

Fair enough. My post was something I said in the moment and I can see it from your standpoint. It's hockey...there are always guys like Keith... chara... burrows... bertuzzi... pronger etc that you would love to have on your team and absolutely hate to play against.

That being said, if you look at it as a canucks fan point of view... all we see is a guy cheap shot our best offensive weapon which arguably cost us the series vs the Kkings and ultimately the cup.

Obviously a stretcher exit for Keith is going too far. With all that being said, any true canucks fan wants to see something happen to prove to us that our team is actually willing to stand up for one another. Especially after everything we've seen the past six years.

Classy.

When Keith hit Sedin is was in retaliation to a hit Sedin laid on Keith. Keith's actions were still wrong and he deserved the suspension he received. Does ending Toews' career improve anything for the Canucks? No. But I can garauntee you that Bollig would do extactly the same to one of the Sedins. Then what, both teams are missing a star player, would that make you feel better? When Torres gave Seabrook a cheap shop in the playoffs 2 years ago give that give the Blackhawks the right to take out a Canuck of their choice? No.

I've seen a lot of fans say the best way to get revenge is via the scoreboard and that's 100% correct.

A lot of your players get pushed around, no doubt about it. But I think they need to stand up for themselves a bit more, especially the Sedins. I don't expect them to become power forwards or fight, but they can push back a bit at least. I keep thinking back to Marchand punching one of the Sedins in the face right infront of the ref. He should have stood up for himself there.

Archived