Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 4 votes

Should the Canucks get rid of Mark Donnelly? Doesn't pump up crowd anymore!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
83 replies to this topic

#61 CmdrAdama

CmdrAdama

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:58 AM

The 2 best anthem singers in the league, are Mark Donnelly, and Jim Cornelison. I've noticed, since he lost the weight, that Mark's performance has gotten as thin as he has.. At least I'm back to singing the anthem, (badly) along with him... lol. Donnelly is still superior to that fiasco of opening night, though.

#62 Schmanky

Schmanky

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:04 AM

You Sir..... must have bumped your head or something!!!! NOBODY gets the crowd to follow 'em like he does, let alone pass up the mic to the crowd. Hell he's probably even gotten you to spit a few lyrics with him. The man's all Canadian... all Canuck! Come playoffs, nobody's rink is more proud of their anthem, and you can thank the old mic hand-off. Re-evaluate your judgement.

#63 Schmanky

Schmanky

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:05 AM

You Sir..... must have bumped your head or something!!!! NOBODY gets the crowd to follow 'em like he does, let alone pass up the mic to the crowd. Hell he's probably even gotten you to spit a few lyrics with him. The man's all Canadian... all Canuck! Come playoffs, nobody's rink is more proud of their anthem, and you can thank the old mic hand-off. Re-evaluate your judgement.

#64 Schmanky

Schmanky

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:10 AM

dbl post.... my bad

#65 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:11 AM

He lost some of his vocal power by losing weight. I think he took female hormone shots to do so. Doesn't have the same power or control.

Maybe that was one of the side effects?

Not knowledgeable about this female hormone weight loss shot to make claims though.

I'm just pointing out that his performance is no where close to as good as when he first started it. Use to give me chills because he was so awesome.

Posted Image

#66 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:11 AM

He lost some of his vocal power by losing weight. I think he took female hormone shots to do so. Doesn't have the same power or control.

Maybe that was one of the side effects?

Not knowledgeable about this female hormone weight loss shot to make claims though.

I'm just pointing out that his performance is no where close to as good as when he first started it. Use to give me chills because he was so awesome.

Posted Image

#67 prix57

prix57

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:37 AM

Yes, I agree that they should get rid of him.
I cannot stand how is so lazy that he cannot sing the whole anthem despite he is supposed to be our flagship anthem singer.
I'm sure there are other people they can hire do a much better job singing and actually sing the whole flipping anthem.

#68 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,952 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:49 AM

The crowd seems to be unenthusiastic half the time regardless of what Donnelly does. According to CDC anyway. Whenever I go to the game, I feel the atmosphere isn't really something to be complaining about.
Posted Image

#69 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,618 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:22 AM

Im starting to get real annoyed and p'd off at Canucks fans who want all this change from the U2 intro to Mark Donnelly. Each of these things are unique that no other team in the league has, why would you wanna be like everyone else???? I don't freakin understand.
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#70 FallenCR7A

FallenCR7A

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:50 AM

Give me a break, Donnelly is awesome regardless of whether or not his voice has changed. Besides, he's just an anthem singer, please. Of all things to complain about this season...Donnelly..what a joke.

Posted Image

Formerly pflaumEnSaft

#71 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:06 AM

It would appear so. This is the sort of nonsense we die-hard fans are having to put up with these days. No wonder Canucks fans as a whole are stuck with the stereotype others paint us with. Threads exactly like this one........ :picard:

Sweet.

Peanut vendor in section 310 - you're next.

#72 Max-a-Million

Max-a-Million

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

Sheesh

Trade Mark, he's not exciting the fans! What a deplorable post. Go rake the lawn, the grass is not growing yet!

I spend half my money on Wine, Women and Song.
The other half I waste!

#73 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Since when is it the job of the person who sings the National Anthem to pump up the crowd?

Canucks should get rid of YOU.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#74 Jerbz

Jerbz

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

What's so good about Jim Cornelison? Their singing styles are radically different and they have different ways of getting the crowd into the game but apparently Cornelison's method involves having 21,000 overly patriotic band-wagoners from 2010 clap through the entire Star Spangled Banner which I think just makes it sound like a good pump up. To me, I think the Donnelly method of letting volumes speak for themselves demonstrates the understanding of the culture of hockey and he's doing a helluva good albeit toned down job at it now so I don't see any reason for change.
@Jerbz
passionately since '01, naturally since 94

Posted Image

#75 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

The only time I don't change the channel when the anthems are sung, is when Mark Donnely does Oh Canada.

What a terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible suggestion.

#76 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

Im starting to get real annoyed and p'd off at Canucks fans who want all this change from the U2 intro to Mark Donnelly. Each of these things are unique that no other team in the league has, why would you wanna be like everyone else???? I don't freakin understand.

You should be used to this by now. Look at the # of times the Canucks have changed their jerseys, as well as the many, many suggestions by fans to keep changing them. Not much love for history, it seems.

#77 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,972 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

Donnelly is fantastic. I don't understand why anyone Canuck fan would want to get rid of him. I'm always proud when I hear him sing the anthem and how he lets the crowd sing a portion of the anthem. He seems like a real crowd pleaser to me.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#78 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Donnelly is the man.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#79 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

Sweet.

Peanut vendor in section 310 - you're next.

That guy is a terrible salesman, and he barely pumps the crowd up at all. MG should trade him for some of Edmonton's cheerleaders! Maybe The Peanut Vender, Mark Donnelly and a third for their team of Cheerleaders?

#80 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:37 AM

I kinda miss Donnelly not hitting the high note at the end of the national anthem but whatever...

Here to anyone who've missed his high note..

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#81 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,376 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

Man, what is all this talk about firing Donnelly? He needs the job. Have you seen the dude? He is starving.............:P Seriously, he is fine singing the anthem. If you want actual crowds getting pumped up, what we really need is real fans in the lower bowl........

#82 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

See that's how an anthem singer pumps up a crowd. That Chicago guy sets the tone

Posted Image

#83 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,972 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

See that's how an anthem singer pumps up a crowd. That Chicago guy sets the tone

I think the crowd is to blame and not the singer.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#84 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

He's a good singer but he moves like he's in a full body cast.

Americans always go crazy for the anthem. It's a misguided patriot thing.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.