The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why We Should Keep Both Goalies

DownUndaCanuck

it cant go past this season because as soon as its the start of the offseason, and the buyout period starts, Teams know that we cant afford to keep both with a 64 million cap. Therefore either their offers will drop or be much weaker, knowing they could pick one of them (Most likely Lu) after a buyout

One has to be traded by the start of next season.

I agree that having both of them around this season provides a lot of value. If we traded one, and the other gets injured, we'd be screwed, obviously.

However, if either Henrik or Kesler gets injured for the playoff run, then we'd also be screwed. Trading Luongo for a top-6 forward, particularly one who can play centre, makes sense.

Trading Luongo for futures assets, even if it is a highly valuable package, doesn't make sense until the off-season.

Firstly this isn't "just another goalie trade thread", it's about NOT trading them.

The way I see it, if we trade a goalie for an elite top-6 forward then sure, our offence will improve and we'll have more depth. Right now, with Kesler and Booth healthy, here's our forward group:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Burrows - Kesler - Booth

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

Higgins - Malhotra - Lapierre

That's a 25-goal-pace scorer in Raymond on our 3rd line., a 20-goal-pace scorer in Hansen on our 3rd line and a 20-goal-pace scorer in Higgins on our 4th line. I fear that if we bring in a star forward into the lineup to either play on the Sedins line or with Kesler, we'll be bumping someone out of the lineup and lose efficiency. If Hansen and Higgins are on our 4th line we're wasting their scoring ability. It's very similar to having 2 great goalies - they can't both play every minute of every game.

I'd much rather have consistent, solid goaltending than an extra forward who plays just 20 minutes a game, maybe increases our offence marginally but leaves us very vulnerable in net to a goalie injury or fatigue.

I know people say you can't win Cups in the playoffs with a goalie tandem, and that we should trade one of our goalies by the deadline at least to bolster our offence for the playoffs, but why not try? AV is mastering his goalie minutes right now to get the best result out of both guys, why not continue this into the playoffs? Detroit did it with Hasek and Osgood a while back so it's definately possible, and in a shortened season history goes out the window.

For anyone to cuss like that about a thread on the internet, that person must be pretty freaking angry. Care to lighten your tone a bit, especially for things that really shouldn't matter to you in the grand scheme of things?

Everything will be alright Vansicle. Your mom still loves you.

This idea would be fantastic in the pre-salary cap era if we had a billionaire owner who was willing to throw money around.

But we're not in that era.

Whether we like to admit it or not, we have only a few years of a window left of the Sedins, Kesler, and Burrows in their prime. We cannot afford the luxury of tying up 10 million in one position. Yes there could be an injury at goal. That's what a competent back-up is for. Most injuries to goaltenders are like other injuries, they usually do not last for months. All we need is a decent fill-in, who can play even .500 hockey and hold the fort while the #1 is out. Its already almost impossible for the rest of the NW division to catch up to us. So we are NOT in a desperate situation. This pertains to the regular season.

Of course a playoff injury is different. But that's the risk most other teams face. What are the odds that a catastrophic injury happens to the #1 goalie right before or during the playoffs? Groin injury is one of the most common, but that occurs usually at the start of the season not after the goaltender has played a season (or half) and is in prime condition.

To me that risk is worth it if you balance out what kind of puzzle piece the Canucks could get in return for either of them. Last year Gillis frittered away our playoff chances by trading away one of our leading goal scorers at the deadline, it would be maddening if he once again fritters our chances in another window year by having either Cory or Lu, and their salary, sitting on the bench as a spectator during the playoffs. I can only hope that he's as smart as he thinks he is and acquires a decent goal scorer instead. And that means saying goodbye to Lu.

I think many GMs around the league are envious of our having two prime goalies. But its not because of having double coverage at that position, its envy of the ace up the sleeve that Gillis has. The asset credit he is sitting on.

Archived