132 replies to this topic

#91 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

Give Luongo a mulligan on that same game and his numbers are even more sparkling.

Edit: Never mind. Another poster beat me to the punch.

well, if we pick their best games, their gaa is tied at 0 and sv% at 100. :bigblush:

#92 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

that is obviously awesome, but we need to see that in the playoffs

#93 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

People also forget how Thomas was in Round 3 against the Lightning. Thomas let in 5 goals, for 4 of the games in R3, but the Bruins' offense came up big when it needed to be and compensated for all those goals let in. Lui never gets the benefit of the doubt. Even when he does let in goals, it seems like the team got deflated way too easily and basically let the Bruins' walk all over them. (We were severely injured as well). This wasn't the kind of play that was going to win a Cup, Kesler nearly single-handedly won R2, Lui almost stole us R4.

Thomas wasn't very good in Round 3 but he did have 2 shutouts (like Luongo in Round 4), and I dont remember it very clearly but I dont think Thomas allowed any of his bad games to get out of hand (being down numerous goals halfway through a game). Luongo doesn't get the benefit of the doubt in those situations because it also happened several times over the 3 series with Chicago.

Your point about the team getting deflated when Luongo gets scored on is a possible chicken and egg scenario. Does the team give up on Luongo when he gives up goals? Or does Luongo give up on the team when they aren't scoring? Either way we lose by lopsided scores and that was not an isolated incident against Boston.

Luongo did almost singlehandedly steal a Stanley Cup for us. On the other hand you could say he almost singlehandedly lost it for us as well

#94 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

Except for the more recent rough patch, Luongo's always been one of the best, if not the best goaltender on the planet. His failures really have been over-exaggerated by the fans who have sky-high expecations that if you don't live up to them, you get thrown under the bus.

RE all the over-the-top criticism, Luongo would be wise to take a page from Derek Jeter's quote, "I play in New York, man. You have to take criticism as part of the challenge." That's how characters like Jeter are able to stay fresh and resillient in an intensive environment.

#95 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

And Schneider outplayed Luongo last year, reg and playoffs, but the Luo diehards dont put much stock in that do they?

yes and the Lu-haters seem to think that was enough for Schneider to take over from Luongo, but now that the situation is reversed it's not enough for him to take it back. interesting

#96 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

POPULAR

Luongo has proven to be inconsistent in the playoffs, nothing more. Our lack of scoring the last 2 series is not a valid excuse for him to get lit up.

Tim Thomas let in 21 goals in 7 games against the Lightning

Luongo let in 21 goals in 7 games against the Bruins

The Bruins won their series and we didn't, so what was the difference? their team could score.

#97 wai_lai416

wai_lai416

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

well let's just say even if Schneider played in the SCF and say he only gives up 2 goals per game every game which would be amazing stats.. we would have been swept in the finals no? Thomas played good in the series but he sure didn't single handedly won the stanley cup.. having a relatively healthy defense that's led by a norris trophy winner plays a big role in grinding down our half beat up dead tired offense/defense.. and those that keeps going back to last years round 1.. last i checked most of the goals came from an excellent chance due to a giveaway deep in our zone??

btw.. who cares who we keep as a goalie.. if the sedins doesn't get going soon lol we ain't going anywhere anytime soon.. Sedins have been pretty mediocre this year and we played so many games against weak teams that they used to feed on lol.. i'd worry about that before i worry about who's going to be traded in net

#98 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

The Bruins won their series and we didn't, so what was the difference? their team could score.

Those stats are incorrect but no biggie

Thomas let in 19 goals against the lighting and Luongo let in 20 against the Bruins
not much of a difference but check out their GAA and save%

Luongo .891 save% 3.41 GAA
Thomas .916 save% 2.73 GAA

#99 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

The team has played much better in front of Luongo than Schneider, and has faced substantially less shots (27) than Schneider (30). If you remove game 1 in which neither of them played well (and the team was atrocious in front of them)
Luongo - .944 sv %
Schnieder - .945 sv %

Schnieder has also faced substantially more shots short handed (7) while playing in 1 less game.

So no, so far (as great as Lu has been) it has not shown me than Luongo >Schnieder

If the team plays better in front of Luongo, why would we trade him? Wouldn't it be better to keep the goalie that makes the team play better? :wacko:

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#100 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

yes and the Lu-haters seem to think that was enough for Schneider to take over from Luongo, but now that the situation is reversed it's not enough for him to take it back. interesting

They have split 12 games...what part of situation reversed are you talking about.Dropping the first game for both...their save percentages are .0001 apart. Seems like its 50/50 to me and great to see Lou's improved play.

#101 Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

Price was having a great week despite playing on a pretty average team, and I didn't even mention Crawford, but mostly because his team has been so good in front of him. Rinne is also putting up sparkling numbers this season once again.

Meanwhile, how are the typical goalie stars doing? Brodeur has a very average 0.908 save %, Lundqvist has a disgusting 2.48 GAA (more than a whole goal more than Luongo) and Quick has a 2.70 GAA and a save % of 0.890. Oh but it gets better. The once-great Miller has a GAA of 2.89 and past heroes like Ward and Kippersoff both have GAA well over 3.

So please, I know my NHL goalies.

Have a look at the stats for goalies this season. Anderson is having a rediculous year, he was leading every goalie statistic before tonight's game against Pittsburgh, and only really lost the GAA lead to Luongo by a hair. He is carrying the Ottawa team that has been playing without Spezza, and now loses Karlsson too. That 42 save shutout of Buffalo the other night was a masterpiece. He is the front-runner for this years Vezina without a doubt.

This is the quarter pole of the season and Anderson is the best goalie in the league right now, there's no denying his numbers are the best by any goalie. If his play slips in the next few weeks, then he won't be, but until then he's simply playing the best any goalie has. He's had one of the biggest workloads of any goalie and has shone this season. Karlsson's injury and a banged up Ottawa offence will really test him now.

I am aware of Anderson's stats this season and there is no denying he has looked great so far but the other goalies I mentioned are elite. They have performed at a high level year after year, Anderson is not quite on their level tbh. Brian Elliot had the best stats last year too 1.56gaa. 940sp would you consider him top 5?

#102 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

They have split 12 games...what part of situation reversed are you talking about.Dropping the first game for both...their save percentages are .0001 apart. Seems like its 50/50 to me and great to see Lou's improved play.

drop the first game Luongo's save % goes to .951

Schneider's goes to .947

do you even math? they're both playing great you don't need to try and inflate Schneider's stats

#103 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

drop the first game Luongo's save % goes to .951

Schneider's goes to .947

do you even math? they're both playing great you don't need to try and inflate Schneider's stats

picky picky..ok .004...happy? not much difference though is there...get a life !!

#104 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

picky picky..ok .004...happy? not much difference though is there...get a life !!

.004 is 40 times more than .0001 so actually yeah that is a big difference, go back to grade 3 math. u still mad?

#105 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

......Very nice to see you finally acknowledging Lou's great play.Without adversity,

#106 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

Schneider doesn't have a bad first game and they would be almost equal in stats. Same as if Luongo has a bad game, so no, it isn't "quite obvious"

Both have earned the right to be starting #1 Goaltenders, we should enjoy the ride while they are both still here.

...and Schneids had the misfortune to play against San Jose when the Canucks failed to show up.. I agree..the sample is too small to evaluate either one quite yet.

#107 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

......Very nice to see you finally acknowledging Lou's great play.Without adversity,

In 2010-11 I was a big fan of how Lou played. It was only when he reverted back to his old style that I found fault. I could not, for the life of me , understand why he would leave the highly successful Melanson teachings, I mean 2.11 GAA ! He did it in the 2010-11 playoffs and throughout last season . This past lockout, he worked on some basic fundamentals which had slid away. I commend him for recognizing the flaws and working very hard to improve on them. It shows in his play, better balance, more patiance, squared to shooter and better rebound control. We are all Canuck fans and I for one am pleased for him. I still believe Schneider is better technically and believe his style holds up better under pressure, but still happy for lou. Hopefully the great play of both continues.

#108 brewdog

brewdog

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:13 AM

March will be a great test for both goalies. Hell, the whole team, for that matter. 16 games in 29 nights, I believe.

#109 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:06 AM

Yeah,bring on March. This is going to tell a story.

#110 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:09 AM

Time for schniedz to catch up

Posted Image

#111 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

It's hardly been reversed, we're only 12 games into the season dont forget.

#112 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

Yes but in how many of those games did the Bruins fall behind by a wide margin of goals? I dont know exactly but I'm willing to guess that none of those games were over halfway through the 2nd period.

#113 DonCherry2013

DonCherry2013

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

Lalongo is my favourite goalie.

#114 DonCherry2013

DonCherry2013

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

Lalongo >>> Schneider

#115 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for stating that. I always bring that up if someone else doesn't.
Posted Image

#116 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Schlongo > Lalongo

#117 Canucklehead420

Canucklehead420

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

Luongo has proven to be inconsistent in the playoffs, nothing more. Our lack of scoring the last 2 series is not a valid excuse for him to get lit up.

so very clueless. lack of scoring is only one of several issues. they lacked any kind of puck possesion, turned the puck over every 3 minutes and at times looked like a practice drill for odd man rushes.

#118 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

so very clueless. lack of scoring is only one of several issues. they lacked any kind of puck possesion, turned the puck over every 3 minutes and at times looked like a practice drill for odd man rushes.

Will these be the excuses for the 3 Chicago series as well? So very clueless.

#119 Miller32

Miller32

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

The Schnieder Fanbus has broken down! Quickly everyone onto the Luongo Fanbus until it breaks down!........

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#120 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

The Schnieder Fanbus has broken down! Quickly everyone onto the Luongo Fanbus until it breaks down!........

No i don't think so yet, it was just the offense wasn't good enough... they didn't score enough goals last night!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.