105 replies to this topic

#91 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

I was atleast expecting him to play physical if we wasn't putting up points, he better pick it up tomorrow.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#92 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,903 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

There, was that so hard? This, I can agree with.

It's never hard typing it the first time, it's not even hard typing it the tenth time - but it sure does get annoying. I'll just say this, basis or not for my posts, yours in reply do even less to forward the discussion. Be happy it's at least informative and points to other discussion on the same topic and consider moving on yourself rather than drawing into a side discussion versus one post in a redundant thread.

But back to Kassian, I'm less tempted than you to put the downfalls on coaching. It certainly seems the Canucks gave him lots of direction in the summer, and set him with a task of improving his speed and fitness so he could keep up in the top 6 and manage more minutes. There has been at least that for direction, so it's not unreasonable they've given him more to concentrate one depending on where he plays.

Chemistry is a different story, and certainly he's moved around a bit here, with the Wolves and even with Buffalo prior to the trade. He'll likely be one to rotate through the lineup though, with the Sedins at least being a pairing, and possibly also Booth and Kesler. I might have liked to see Schroeder get a chance between Booth and Kesler, but with Manny out and no real replacement if we move Kesler to wing, then it'll be Schroeder and Raymond most likely as a pair. That leaves Kassian up and down with any of those, and maybe on the 4th but I agree he's better in the top 9.

It'll be all about the teams we play, and who has the hot hand in those games, for how that work out. Kassian will get there, but he'll have goods and bads along the way.

Like he doesn't actually have a valid point though. How long before someone else is just gunna start a new ZK thread? And everything being discussed here has to be reposted there. Probably after tomorrow nights game, when someone whines cause Kassian didn't Bertuzzi Duncan Keith.

Yup, and the same people will come back to say it all again, or perhaps at best it will be people who are on here only occasionally and never saw this one since they don't see past the latest threads.

But then we'll have the same arguments again, pros or cons, since none of them will have changed from the last time they were discussed.

Edited by elvis15, 18 February 2013 - 09:54 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#93 kamaole

kamaole

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

He's young and will have a few stinky games. It's tough to stay on Coach's good side too, here in Vancouver.

Saw the behind the scenes thing here on the Canucks site re: interviews. The question: how to get on AV's good side? The players responded. Ballard: "I don't know; been trying to get there for 3 years"! Love it!!!!!!!! he's so right!

So, our young "rookies" of sorts, or those with little experience make a mistake or two and they get demoted. Yet, Bieksa can keep coughing up the puck (despite a couple of goals, his give aways are brutal and the man needs to work on his speed; seems he's got one gear only), Edler can't keep the puck in at the point on PPs these days and they keep up ice time.

So, I think more ice time will help Kassian.

#94 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:26 AM

I was just wondering to myself, maybe, just maybe, the reason Kassian can't be a tank every game is because it takes one hell of a toll on the body.

Maybe...

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#95 WestCoastCanucks

WestCoastCanucks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:51 AM

Kassian's a project and I would expect a dozen more threads like this regarding Kassian for the next few years. Actually probably a lot more than a dozen. Guys like him take a long time to develop. Just look at Bertuzzi. The end result is worth the patience though. And when everything goes right there are only a handful of guys that could potentially do what Kassian has the potential of doing. But again, he's a big risk. He might never turn out and that's what you get when you take on a project like him. Definitely far from a safe bet.

But while he can't be scoring or creating havoc physically every single game, he can't be as awful as he was last game defensively either. That won't cut it. Even at 22.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#96 canadaguy_25

canadaguy_25

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:55 AM

Chris Neil. 3rd line player is what I've all ways said Kassian would develop into. That's a compliment because I think Neil is great for his role.

Right now he's not there. It will take him a couple of years to develop into a Chris Neil.

CDC is too quick to anoint ppl as the next coming of ..... Just a couple of days ago I asked who would pass the puck on the 2nd line and someone called Kassian an incredible play maker, several ppl backed this poster up.

Fan boys get too excited with one pass or one goal. Kassian is not a top 6 player, he should be on the 3rd or 4th line.

That's exactly what I've been thinking. A Chris Neil/ Steve Ott type of player. People expect Kassian to develop into the next Bertuzzi, and get bent out of shape when he has a couple of off games. He's young, and the expectations on him are too high IMO

#97 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,595 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:59 AM

Wow.. At first I thought you guys weren't being serious... But...

Do you guys really expect a 22 years old kid crashing and banging every night in his first full season?

One off game from kass, and all the trolls show up in no where saying he's a bust... Jesus Christ people use your brain...

#98 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,595 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:03 AM

That's exactly what I've been thinking. A Chris Neil/ Steve Ott type of player. People expect Kassian to develop into the next Bertuzzi, and get bent out of shape when he has a couple of off games. He's young, and the expectations on him are too high IMO

No one is saying he's the next Bert. Most of us are saying he has the tools to be a great power forward like Bert, and we say that because we watch the game and see kassian's skill and hockey sense.

Trolls like that whl guy on the other hand, are saying a 22 year old kid wih so many upsides, is a career 3rd liner.

I bet you 100 bucks he said the same thing to Kesler and the Sedins 10 years ago if he actually watches hockey back the .

#99 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

Wow.. At first I thought you guys weren't being serious... But...

Do you guys really expect a 22 years old kid crashing and banging every night in his first full season?

One off game from kass, and all the trolls show up in no where saying he's a bust... Jesus Christ people use your brain...

That's precisely what I expect from a 22 year old power forward trying to make an impact and find a home in his first year in the NHL, now if he was a 32 year old player in the NHL I would understand that he can't crash and bang every night but I would still want to see him back checking.

This is not about trolling, I'd like to see the kid work out and I don't think he's a bust, he just has not learned he has to work harder then the next guy or he may not.

#100 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

He is going to be inconsistent, this is his "first" "full" season where he is more than a player trying to stick. supposedly.

What will happen is that he will be learning from the vets (the Sedins in particular) how to prepare and play every game. And he will slowly evolve into a more consistent player. If the Canucks get a good playoff run (at least winning one series, although I think they can do more this year and next if everything falls into place) it will accelerate his learning curve.

Or do you expect him to hit like a maniac every shift, and score or look dangerous every game? No player can do that, they all go through cycles, so at least let a few cycles go by - he will score again when he starts working hard like he did at the beginning of the year. Working hard can be learned.

#101 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,080 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

Kesler's great but not sure he's a great linemate for Kassian.

#102 snucks

snucks

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

The current coaching staff will destroy this kid. He is an excellent passer and shooter and they need to play him as much as they did before the return of Kessler. If they are not careful they will ruin this guy. He is also a crowd favorite already. He needs guys to play with and coaches that believe in him. Apparently Kassian worked hard during the summer with help from the twins. Hopefully he get the ice time he needs to. There are other players on the team that are playing according to the salary they have but are turning out to be more of a disappointment than Kassian.

#103 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,080 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

I'm guessing he's somewhere in Chicago.

#104 Japandroid

Japandroid

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

He's showed what he can do. He'll bring it every game when the playoffs roll around.

Agreed. I think Kass has shown us this season that the pieces of an NHL caliber player are there.

People need to stop comparing Kass to Hodgson, which is where I think this pressure on Kass is coming from. Kassian is not a top line centre who's going to rack up a point a game; we don't need more of those right now ala Hank and Kes and that's why the trade was made.

He IS a big physical guy with offensive upside that will hopefully develop with experience, but worst case scenario he's a bottom six checker, which is still very useful.

He's also young and he's going to have lots of ups and downs. Rant about Edler's play if you're going to rant about somebody.

#105 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

He's been involved in three line combos this season.

Sedin line: go to the front of the net and score

Third line: grind it out two way style:

Kesler line: adjust to a player who hasn't played any games in front of you yet (kes) and adjust to watching the predictable and totally unsubtle see it coming from last week slapper from the high slot.

Kass is 22.

Should be a third line guy right now playing two way so he learns defense and how to be physical consistently.

Anyone expecting more at this stage doesn't know player development.

This.
As much as I'd like to see him back with the Twins parked in the crease, he needs to get schooled in the two-way game. Since this is essentially a throw-away season, why not now?
I wouldn't be surprised if Kass adjusted pretty rapidly to a 3rd line role and started racking up points again, as well as increasing hits and takeaway totals.

Expecting too much from players is a pretty common mistake. At this stage in a fans development they will assume that because a player scores goals with the top line that he should be able to score goals with any line. Eventually, as the fan develops, they will start to have more realistic expectations; they'll get better at not being unreasonable. It happens all the time.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#106 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

The current coaching staff will destroy this kid. He is an excellent passer and shooter and they need to play him as much as they did before the return of Kessler. If they are not careful they will ruin this guy. He is also a crowd favorite already. He needs guys to play with and coaches that believe in him. Apparently Kassian worked hard during the summer with help from the twins. Hopefully he get the ice time he needs to. There are other players on the team that are playing according to the salary they have but are turning out to be more of a disappointment than Kassian.

I don't think they're going to destroy him, but I agree on the passing and shooting. He has pretty soft hands for a big boy.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.