Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

What Does Christopher Higgins Need To Do To Breakout?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Pasific Coluseum

Pasific Coluseum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

This isn't a bashing Chris Higgins thread but I've been underwhelmed with him this year. I remember the Chris Higgins of old with the Montreal Canadiens where he had career numbers. It just seems he's being used more in a defensive role. This guy can definitely score and I just think he has the potential to put up a lot more points.

I would love to see him get power play time. I just don't like the fact Chris seems invisible this season, don't know if its just me.

#2 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

*** WARNING!! THIS IS A TROLL THREAD - PUT AWAY YOUR PITCHFORKS AND BACK AWAY SLOWLY - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED ***
Posted Image

#3 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,480 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

He has been playing fine recently, he isn't a guy who is going to put up a ton of points.

All he needs to do is work hard, battle, and play a solid two way game. And he will play fine. He doesn't have overwhelming skill but an all-round skillset that allows him to be successful in any type of situation.

He's been doing just fine.

zackass.png

#4 That's What She Said

That's What She Said

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

POPULAR

Eat more fried foods.
Why not Zoidberg? (\/)(°,,,°)(\/)

#5 Mr. Ramsay

Mr. Ramsay

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

That's just it. He's used more as a defensive role. We have enough depth offensively to cover up for the lack of production from more offensive players that are shot down lower in the depth chart.. Yes, Higgins can score, we all know that. But AV loves him because he's great defensively as well. He doesn't have to produce offensively for us, not like last season when he would be a regular 2nd liner.. As long as he does what he does and provide timely offence, I don't care.

Posted Image

#6 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

I would like him to have more open ice.
Posted Image

#7 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

He may have peaked in Montreal with his 20+ goal seasons. Seems to me if he's scoring 15-20 goals here and doing the other things he does well then we're getting our money's worth.

#8 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,596 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

Higgins is quietly one of the most flashiest, skilled guys on this team but his role doesn't permit him to race up the ice, gamble and take offensive chances.

I watched some of his goals in Montreal - most of them were off the rush, odd man rushes and sick dekes on breakaways. We saw what he can do last season against Kippersoff on a breakaway, this guy has fast hands for a big tough guy and doesn't get to play a very skilled game in Vancouver.

The exact same can be said of Booth, who has far more skill than he's shown in Vancouver. Playing with Kesler on a tough checking line that faces opponents teams top players, he isn't supposed to race up the ice and score goals by himself, but to play solid defence first and foremost. If he had the luxury of free-wheeling offensively then we'd see Booth breakout too.
Posted Image

#9 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

He may have peaked in Montreal with his 20+ goal seasons. Seems to me if he's scoring 15-20 goals here and doing the other things he does well then we're getting our money's worth.

His production last year was close to his best season in Montreal. 43 points in 71 games vs 52 in 82. Project that season, and we are at 50 points. Thats his stride, but what has increased dramatically is his defensive play, all of his seasons in Montreal his best +/- was 0, while here his worst +/- is 0
Sig too big.

#10 needtogetswole

needtogetswole

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

the guy is a workhorse!! he puts in 100% every shift! .. the points will come but we can't expect him to get career numbers every year... I want this guy on the team for years! guys like him compliment a very well balanced team and make it better - just like burrows hansen etc.

#11 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

the guy is a workhorse!! he puts in 100% every shift! .. the points will come but we can't expect him to get career numbers every year... I want this guy on the team for years! guys like him compliment a very well balanced team and make it better - just like burrows hansen etc.

He just needs to find the right line in which to play. That way, he'll have a 50+ point season.
Posted Image

#12 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

Higgins is good value for 1.9mil. He adds good secondary scoring, and AV can count on him in any number of defensive roles. I don't really see him 'breaking out' on this team. I think he could be a 30 goal scorer in another role sure, but on this team his role is more defensive, so his 20 goalish pace he's kept with us since coming here is acceptable.

#13 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

I think it's the role he plays. Or perhaps he isn't what he once was, which is why he bounced around teams so much in his career. I wont pretend to know anything about the way he used to play, but I see Higgins as being a good 2-way player. He has good defensive instincts and good offensive skill. His offensive production has always been inconsistent. That I do know. At least he plays well in his own end when he's on a "down".

I don't see Higgins as someone who will suddenly "break out." I think he'll play the role he plays for the rest of his career. He is a good 3rd liner, where he should be playing (except on our current roster, where the speed line holds that spot.) With Higgins and Lapierre on the 4th line, our 4th line is basically last year's 3rd line. That's a massive improvement, if you ask me.

If Higgins has some magic chemistry with a certain player like Burrows did with the Sedins, you can rub this in my face. But I think what we see of Higgins is where he will stay. He's a 3rd liner. He doesn't play physical, but he checks, forechecks, and plays well on the boards. He chips in when he gets hot. What more can we ask of him?

*** WARNING!! THIS IS A TROLL THREAD - PUT AWAY YOUR PITCHFORKS AND BACK AWAY SLOWLY - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED ***

*** WARNING!! THIS IS A TROLL POST - PUT AWAY YOUR PITCHFORKS AND BACK AWAY SLOWLY - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED ***

Edited by Joe_Shmo, 18 February 2013 - 06:05 PM.

Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#14 canuckrelevantname

canuckrelevantname

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

Higgins is quietly one of the most flashiest, skilled guys on this team but his role doesn't permit him to race up the ice, gamble and take offensive chances.

I watched some of his goals in Montreal - most of them were off the rush, odd man rushes and sick dekes on breakaways. We saw what he can do last season against Kippersoff on a breakaway, this guy has fast hands for a big tough guy and doesn't get to play a very skilled game in Vancouver.

Why isn't he utilized in the shootout (checked our stats to make sure, he's made no appearances either this season or last)?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

Higgins is good value for 1.9mil. He adds good secondary scoring, and AV can count on him in any number of defensive roles. I don't really see him 'breaking out' on this team. I think he could be a 30 goal scorer in another role sure, but on this team his role is more defensive, so his 20 goalish pace he's kept with us since coming here is acceptable.

Not even a 30-goal player. 20ish goals with 20+ Assists.
Posted Image

#16 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

Eat more chocolate and not wash his face?
Posted Image

#17 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

Not even a 30-goal player. 20ish goals with 20+ Assists.

He scores 20ish with us already in a defensive role. Give him a different role on the team, e.g. first line PP minutes and minutes with the Sedins here and there, and he could hit 30. That's what I meant by that.

#18 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

Eat more chocolate and not wash his face?

I think he just needs to go to parties more often.

Nah, I'm kidding. More open ice time for him.
Posted Image

#19 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

He scores 20ish with us already in a defensive role. Give him a different role on the team, e.g. first line PP minutes and minutes with the Sedins here and there, and he could hit 30. That's what I meant by that.

The question is: Why did we assign him to a defensive role? He's a defensive forward. Put him as a sniper's role, and he won't have as much production.
Posted Image

#20 gurn

gurn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

Backs away from thread slowly....

#21 406281dylan

406281dylan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

i still think that lapierre and higgins have yet to reach their peak

#22 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

I think they have, but only care to play at that level in the Playoffs. Honestly, I'm fine with that if it means the opposition watching the tapes ends up underestimating our players. I know what they're capable of. We saw it in our SCF run.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

#23 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

Higgins Lapierre Hansen is the 3rd line we will see come playoffs. A solid defensive unit that can score some goals. I guess we will have to wait and see how Raymond and Schroeder do against the bigger, tougher teams.

Higgins is a very well rounded player who is a bargain (and a blessing) for this team.

#24 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

I really like Higgins for the paycheque.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

#25 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

He is another very good utility player for the team. Super tenacious on the forecheck.

I can see Kes feeding him much more, now that he is back.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#26 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,480 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:10 AM

Higgin's will dig out the puck then head to the net. When he plays with good players they'll reward him for winning the puck with a pass in the slot, which is usually when he scores. He also checks, fore-checks, back checks, goes to the dirty area's and has what Aussie's call great "work rate."

I call him a "glue guy," every line should have one and he should be appreciated!

But your making a mistake expecting him to be any dynamic force.

This isn't a bashing Chris Higgins thread but I've been underwhelmed with him this year. I remember the Chris Higgins of old with the Montreal Canadiens where he had career numbers. It just seems he's being used more in a defensive role. This guy can definitely score and I just think he has the potential to put up a lot more points.

I would love to see him get power play time. I just don't like the fact Chris seems invisible this season, don't know if its just me.

#27 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,480 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:18 AM

Both are well past their peak; if your expecting them to drive the puck, make plays under pressure, have instincts that constantly feel where the game needs to go... your going to be dissapointed. Neither have quite enough size, speed, or talent that a decent defender cant lock either down. And they no longer get free chances on the PP or against the weakest match up after an icing the call. Its been proven we have better to make teams pay.

See my above post though; both have accepted their roles and do the dirty work for their line mates and bust their asses! And their still good enough to convert when they get an off crack with top talent who deliver them golden chances.

Expect 12 to 15 points from Lappy and 15 to 18 from Higgins this year.

These guys are gold for exactly what they are doing for us!

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 19 February 2013 - 06:20 AM.

#28 Drakrami

Drakrami

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:25 AM

hes on pace for 17 goals in a regular season. Not bad based on his minutes and salary. Of course we can hope for more...

#29 Praesidian

Praesidian

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:51 AM

Just wait until that AMEX line builds some chemistry?

#30 cc_devil

cc_devil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:13 AM

The exact same can be said of Booth, who has far more skill than he's shown in Vancouver. Playing with Kesler on a tough checking line that faces opponents teams top players, he isn't supposed to race up the ice and score goals by himself, but to play solid defence first and foremost. If he had the luxury of free-wheeling offensively then we'd see Booth breakout too.

Well said its Av's overexposed defenseive system that prevents any creativity from any of the Canuck player except Sedin.
This is exactly why they all look like their in a coma. Wouldn't you be?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.