The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

I have to say I like your argument about not wanting to put all the eggs in one basket as far as this year goes. Trading Schneider essentially does just that this year. What if they trade Schneider and then Daniel Sedin gets injured again, or Hamhuis gets injured again? The problem with that thinking is that every team is in that boat every year. It's a risk teams have to take if they want to win it all. What if Stamkos, or Patrick Kane or Corey Perry get injured? That all but kills their teams' chances at a Stanley Cup.

In my opinion, I do believe Schneider should be the one traded for several reasons.

1. The return will be higher and make an immediate impact along with the long-term gains because the players coming back would likely be younger.

2. Luongo can still handle the starting role as well as anyone. He's proven over and over that he's one of the elite goalies in the NHL.

3. Any team getting Schneider will be willing to give up goalie giving the Canucks a capable backup this year.

4. Eddie Lack is ready to be the full time backup next year and who would be better to teach him the ropes than Luongo? Given a couple seasons as Luongo's backup, and the Canucks will be right back in this same situation with Lack looking to become a starter somewhere.

5. Joe Cannata, I believe, will be a very good NHL goalie in a few years. If Luongo's still around by then, he'll be able to learn from one of the best.

I know it's very enticing to keep Schneider over Luongo but I think trading Schneider just makes that much more sense when you break it all down.

LOL

Here's another Coxism...

"Gillis banked on Leafs not be able to get far with Reimer/Scrivens combo, wud come begging for Luongo. To be fair, many agreed with him."

And here's the jinx his rag just put on the Leafs today lol.

Toronto Maple Leafs reach halfway point with playoffs in sight

http://www.thestar.c...s_in_sight.html

Hilarious.  They said it.  "Playoffs".  Anyone remember the last time the Leafs looked like playoff contenders after 20 games?

I'm actually not hoping for another epic Leafs collapse - I like a lot of their players, I like Nonis (and Burke), I feel for the paperbaggers in that market, and they're a Canadian franchise.

I even feel sorry for them having to wake up and read idiots like Cox over their morning coffee - in Vancouver we can relate.

But before they start pencilling themselves into the playoffs, they may want to have look at where they actually stand.

They have New Jersey, the Rangers and Philadelphia trailing them in the 7,8 and 9 spots in the conference.  They have no hope in hell of overtaking Boston (and Montreal) in their division.

They have 3,4, and 5 points in hand on 7th, 8th, 9th.  One bad week and they could find themselves singing a different tune.

They might want to hold off a bit on the "playoffs in sight" talk.  They've worn so much egg in recent memory you'd think they'd have a little more sense.

Just for laughs... Cox on Kadri...

"He's got another season on his entry-level deal but it's hard to imagine that if he flunks this audition it's ever going to happen for him with the Leafs."

Cox also had Kessel on the trade block (which I don't disagree with) but those would be the Leafs top two scorers... I'm guessing Leafs management wish this guy would just shut his cakehole.

Besides... With the AV system, Kadri would be centering the 4th alongside Kassian; deemed by MG as being "the guy"... One the 4th line?

Thanks again to AV for abiding to MG's wishes. Must be hard for MG to watch HIS team from above, seeing "his guy" play on the 4th line, ESPECIALLY knowing Kassian was actually producing on te 1st line...

Besides... With the AV system, Kadri would be centering the 4th alongside Kassian; deemed by MG as being "the guy"... One the 4th line?

Thanks again to AV for abiding to MG's wishes. Must be hard for MG to watch HIS team from above, seeing "his guy" play on the 4th line, ESPECIALLY knowing Kassian was actually producing on te 1st line...

Kassian has played all 22 games.

Schroeder has played all 20 games since call up.

Tanev has played all 22 games.

People here whining that rookies are playing in the bottom 6 should go back and have a look at where the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, etc started their careers here - and the Canucks were not contenders at the time.

Scratches - Ebbett, Volpatti, Ballard, Alberts, Barker... I don''t see any rookies in that list.

Much ado about nothing.

Kassian has played all 22 games.

Schroeder has played all 20 games since call up.

Tanev has played all 22 games.

People here whining that rookies are playing in the bottom 6 should go back and have a look at where the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, etc started their careers here - and the Canucks were not contenders at the time.

Scratches - Ebbett, Volpatti, Ballard, Alberts, Barker... I don''t see any rookies in that list.

Much ado about nothing.

I have a hard time believing that Schnieds is the one that's traded because I thought it was Loungo that wanted out. I can see, in terms of Canucks management, if Lu actually wants to stay the strategy is goalie development. How do they view Cannata? If we're being realistic Lu's out clause lines up with Cannata's development more than Lack's. We don't really know what management thinks of Cannata, or where they see his development and I'm pretty sure no one in the media actually know's he exists so we're probably not going to find out.

I personally am well aware the rookies are playing. but when your shot on offensive production when Kesler has been injured almost all year and booth was out. Schroeder and kassian should have been given chances to play more minutes, especially now with a top center being injured. Also kassian showed success with the twins, and we all know Burrows can be affective on a line without the twins.

Thats my perspective on the handling of the rookies. Until Kesler is back and we dont make any trades to upgrade our center depth or making snag a better top 6 winger, why should they be given more of a chance. they dont even use Kassian as a net presence on the PP, isnt that where alot of power forwards get points is infront of the net?

same thing happened with hodgson he played 3rd or 4th line minutes with a healthy kesler.

You cant rely on Raymond to be a center in playoffs when faceoffs are key, its a fill the hole kind of role.

I would just like to see Kassian get some more time with the twins, schroeder is best served to be back in the ahl refining his game playing top minutes not barely being used here.

Im not saying give rookies or if we had kadri elite minutes but if they produce well like Kassian was with the twins why would we have changed that, or alteast not used that on the PP?

Im not trying to argue, i just feel that they could be used better or be better off served going back to chicago in schroeders case. give schroeders spot to pinizzotto if he is healthy lets see what he can do, we must have signed him for a reason to allow him a chance at a 4th line spot

same thing happened with hodgson he played 3rd or 4th line minutes with a healthy kesler.

You cant rely on Raymond to be a center in playoffs when faceoffs are key, its a fill the hole kind of role.

I would just like to see Kassian get some more time with the twins, schroeder is best served to be back in the ahl refining his game playing top minutes not barely being used here.

Im not saying give rookies or if we had kadri elite minutes but if they produce well like Kassian was with the twins why would we have changed that, or alteast not used that on the PP?

Im not trying to argue, i just feel that they could be used better or be better off served going back to chicago in schroeders case. give schroeders spot to pinizzotto if he is healthy lets see what he can do, we must have signed him for a reason to allow him a chance at a 4th line spot

It wasn't just about Kassian - that's the thing - as good as Kassian was, Burrows actually makes the twins better - his combination of puck pursuit, ability to cycle with the twins, go to the net, provide screens and finish, play great two way hockey taking pressure off the twins the full length of the ice... Burrows is their ideal partner. Kassian did well, I agree, but he's also finding his way with Booth and getting quality minutes. I don't see much of an issue here.

Oh I agree, but how many games has burrows had to gain that chemistry ? kassian did well with his limited action. How about Kassian with the twins on the PP and Burrows on the 2nd unit, to balance that out. Our PP hasnt been good of late, schroeder on the back end hasnt improved it either

I'm with Gary Valk - I want to see Garrison getting powerplay minutes - and Kassian may be a good option for the 1st pp unit with Kesler out, but we may need to start a different thread (or go to one of the many AV hates rookie threads) cause Luo discussion is getting a bit lost here (although, to be fair, all we had to work with today was drivel from Cox and MacLean anyhow).

Cox is full of crap. 16 days ago he said there was no such trade in place. Today because they are doing well he says there was a trade in place. Ian MacIntyre said this trade was offer by Gillis, btw it was a 2nd Rd pick and Nonis turned it down.

Archived