The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

While you make a good point about Higgins and Lapierre, you're point about Manny is off base. We don't get any relief from his $2.5M cap hit currently, and Gillis is saying he's not healthy enough to play at any price. It's simply too much a danger that he'd get injured because of his reduced vision.

Honestly I love both goalies and I'm confident in whatever one gillis decides to go with, these arguments of who's better are dumb. We got 2 great goalies and we still have a very good young goalie on the farm in lack. I honestly just want trade deadline to pass to shut ppl up

Simply put, Luongo is the better goalie in all facets of the game and RIGHT NOW he gives the Canucks a better chance to win a Cup than Schneider does.

That being said, I hope MG lets AV roll both goalies in a tandem, at least up until the deadline if not until next season. We've seen a lot of goalies already injured this season due to the nature of the shortened season, and an injury to a goalie on a Canuck team that relies so heavily on that area of the game would be brutal.

Schneider + booth/Ray + hamhuis

For

Neuvy + poti/hamrlik(both Ufa) + backstrom.

I would prefer to keep raymond

Backstrom can center ... move kes to wing... he would do wonders with bwckstrom feeding him

Gillis is not hurting the team at all. Even though Schneider seems to be a little less able to hole the fort his value increases as the days go on by having injuries accumulating throughout the league, as well as teams getting close to determining whether they'll make the playoffs.

Gillis holds the cards.

I think Gillis would trade Schneider if Luongo would agree to stay long-term.

The difference in trade value between Schneider and Luongo is greater than the difference in value that they bring to the team. Schneider has a far greater trade value given his age, contract status and lack of NTC. But Luongo, arguably, provides just as much hockey value as Schneider does for the next few years.

Trading Schneider would net not only a more valuable return; it would also allow Gillis to target a return that specifically addresses the team's needs. If Schneider were put on the block, Gillis would likely get several offers from many different teams. Gillis could not only work the bidders for the highest possible value in return; he could also pick and choose amongst the offers to get exactly what the team needs. Perhaps that would be a young, emerging star defenseman who happens to be a RH shot, such as John Carlson. Or perhaps it would be an established, point-producing forward.

Luongo has a much lesser trade value. First, his contract status and age put off many potential suitors. And then there's also Lu's ability to limit the group of potential trade partners with his NTC. In result, there are far fewer teams who are interested in Luongo, which is likely why this process is dragging on. Gillis is likely targeting a specific return, but hasn't yet been offered it, as there just aren't many suitors.

So if Luongo can be convinced to stick around, why not keep him? Would you rather have Luongo and Schneider, only one of whom can play at a time? Or would you rather have Luongo plus Carlson and Neuvirth? How about Luongo plus Voracek +?

No he does not.

If both goalies were doing amazing, if Kesler and Booth were doing amazing and if we were running away with out division/league (which we are not) then Gillis would hold all the cards. Also, if like 8 teams seriously needed an upgrade in their goaltending, then he would hold even more cards. As of now TB, WSH, CBJ, FLA badly need goaltending so bad that it is dragging their teams to the bottom of the standings, EDM with good goaltending would make the playoffs no problem.

But nobody is biting on Luo- Gillis has said that he is receiving offers but nothing is "imminent" and he has been saying this since Luongo nixed the TO trade at the draft.

If you think Gillis holds all the cards, then you are a middle schooler who does not quite get what is going on.

Nucks are in trouble. It is time to trade Cory for a good young center and a first round pick

Archived