The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks inquired about Vermette

Man I hope not. Thought Gillis would have learned after the Pahlsson experiment. NO MORE OLD GUYS please. $3.75M cap hit for 2 more yrs as a negative possession player. He's not going to get 19 TOI in Van or 3 PP TOI per game. With all that he still only has 12 points. Just no, no way. They need a young centre or bust.

trade the sedins, Burr past their prime. 30 is hardly past your prime. I agree that $3.53M is a lot for a 3rd line C but Vermette would be a good 3rd line C with 60% faceoffs so far this season which would be leading the team and could replace kesler when he is injured.

But this arguing is for nothing as PHX will not trade him since they just acquired him last year for a 2nd and a 5th

If Vermette was a UFA and the Canucks didn't have to give up youth (prospects/picks) to get him, and they could also sign him to a more appropriate contract - I'd be ok with it. But they'll have to give up youth to get him. I'm not Ok with that. Gillis has been doing it for years, some have worked, most have not. Time to get a young centre.

Man I hope not. Thought Gillis would have learned after the Pahlsson experiment. NO MORE OLD GUYS please. $3.75M cap hit for 2 more yrs as a negative possession player. He's not going to get 19 TOI in Van or 3 PP TOI per game. With all that he still only has 12 points. Just no, no way. They need a young centre or bust.

Vermette >> Pahlsson easily. Vermette is a very good center (can play anywhere from the 1st line to 3rd line). He would be the best third line center we've had since pre-injury Malhotra. Maybe even better than pre-injury Malhotra

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Schroeder

Higgins/Raymond - Vermette - Hansen/Kassian

Raymond/Higgins - Lapierre - Kassian/Hansen

That is a very deep forward group

We already have a young center and his name is Jordan Schroeder. If you want a young center that is good to great, we would need to give up a lot. Plus, we need a bit of experience in the lineup too, we can't just have a bunch of kids on the Canucks roster while trying to win a cup. We already have Kassian and Schroeder in the lineup and adding more kids with no playoff experience on this roster will be counter intuitive for our team that will be competing for the cup.

Hence my 'trending downwards' comment, which would 'generally' go hand in hand with an aging player. Not sure how this is an overreaction, still have yet to see why trading youth for an aging player trending downwards on a large contract is a good idea.

Archived