58 replies to this topic

#31 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,468 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

Man I hope not. Thought Gillis would have learned after the Pahlsson experiment. NO MORE OLD GUYS please. $3.75M cap hit for 2 more yrs as a negative possession player. He's not going to get 19 TOI in Van or 3 PP TOI per game. With all that he still only has 12 points. Just no, no way. They need a young centre or bust.

Vermette >> Pahlsson easily. Vermette is a very good center (can play anywhere from the 1st line to 3rd line). He would be the best third line center we've had since pre-injury Malhotra. Maybe even better than pre-injury Malhotra

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Schroeder
Higgins/Raymond - Vermette - Hansen/Kassian
Raymond/Higgins - Lapierre - Kassian/Hansen

That is a very deep forward group

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#32 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

Clearly you didn't read my previous post in which I stated TOI, underlying numbers and cap hit as reasons to not make the deal.

So you want a great young center that is in the NHL with a low cap hit? Am sure a lot of teams are just dying to get rid of those players.

Posted Image

#33 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

Vermette >> Pahlsson easily. Vermette is a very good center (can play anywhere from the 1st line to 3rd line). He would be the best third line center we've had since pre-injury Malhotra. Maybe even better than pre-injury Malhotra

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Schroeder
Higgins/Raymond - Vermette - Hansen/Kassian
Raymond/Higgins - Lapierre - Kassian/Hansen

That is a very deep forward group

We need Vermette and he would definitely fill a role on this team. I doubt we will go into the playoffs with Schroeder as our number 2 or 3 centerman. We need more grit and experience down the middle, not to mention a good face-off man.

Posted Image

#34 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,930 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

We already have a young center and his name is Jordan Schroeder. If you want a young center that is good to great, we would need to give up a lot. Plus, we need a bit of experience in the lineup too, we can't just have a bunch of kids on the Canucks roster while trying to win a cup. We already have Kassian and Schroeder in the lineup and adding more kids with no playoff experience on this roster will be counter intuitive for our team that will be competing for the cup.

Goalie trade. That's where I think they need to get a young centre.

I agree having a roster full of young players isn't a great idea for competing team, but I don't feel confident Kesler will stay healthy every season (mainly cause he hasn't for 5 straight years). These bandaid solutions don't make sense long term IMO, time to start molding a young guy who can take over when Kes is injured.

Yes they have Schroeder but he's been demoted to the 4th line while Kes is injured - so I'm guessing AV has some concerns.

#35 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

If we're going after Pheonix centers I'd rather try for Chipchura

Scrappy #3/4 center who's LH and much cheaper to acquire and to keep cap wise

Edited by WonderTwinPowers, 05 March 2013 - 07:19 PM.

#36 boxiebrown

boxiebrown

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

Man I hope not. Thought Gillis would have learned after the Pahlsson experiment. NO MORE OLD GUYS please. $3.75M cap hit for 2 more yrs as a negative possession player. He's not going to get 19 TOI in Van or 3 PP TOI per game. With all that he still only has 12 points. Just no, no way. They need a young centre or bust.

He wasn't a negative possession player last year or the year before that, just fyi. As a left-handed center who's strong on faceoffs and plays a solid two-way game, he's an obvious target for us. You're completely overreacting.

#37 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,930 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

He wasn't a negative possession player last year or the year before that, just fyi. As a left-handed center who's strong on faceoffs and plays a solid two-way game, he's an obvious target for us. You're completely overreacting.

Hence my 'trending downwards' comment, which would 'generally' go hand in hand with an aging player. Not sure how this is an overreaction, still have yet to see why trading youth for an aging player trending downwards on a large contract is a good idea.

#38 boxiebrown

boxiebrown

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

Hence my 'trending downwards' comment, which would 'generally' go hand in hand with an aging player. Not sure how this is an overreaction, still have yet to see why trading youth for an aging player trending downwards on a large contract is a good idea.

So you think we should ignore a career of him being a strong possession player, just because through 20 games he's been neutral this year? Keep in mind, he's getting the toughest matchups every night in Phoenix. He's really not trending downwards.

#39 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,930 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

So you think we should ignore a career of him being a strong possession player, just because through 20 games he's been neutral this year? Keep in mind, he's getting the toughest matchups every night in Phoenix. He's really not trending downwards.

It's not just his possession #'s as I mentioned in my previous posts.

Edit: He's also not a career plus possession player, and hasn't always been used in the role he's playing this yr.

Edited by RunningWild, 05 March 2013 - 08:11 PM.

#40 Sestito29

Sestito29

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

I heard a rumor about Mueller..

We could of had Mueller for free....took forever to sign when he was a free agent.

#41 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,826 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

I think we need to find a dman asap to give us the 6 strong dman we had that was at least equal to what we had in 2011.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#42 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

• 45]

Obviously, Botch is a legitimate source. For him to come out and say "not Vermette" when asked if a bunch of other centres were available is peculiar.

Botch is nothing , he is not a credible source by any means and is a joke
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#43 Yotes

Yotes

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

vermette is a great center, but cant see phoenix moving him unless they drop out of the playoff picture.

I like the idea of chipcura though.

#44 c00kies

c00kies

Cookie Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

Botchford is a pretty good source, he's connected to the Canucks. Andrews asked the question. To me it implies that Van management has asked Phx if he is available, and PHX has said he isn't.

So it's speculation about speculation.
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#45 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,731 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:25 AM

Gods, no! (And I'm atheist!)

Not Vermette. He addresses absolutely none of our concerns.

Okay, well, apparently he's a center. Only he comes real cheap..

Edited by Tortorella's Rant, 06 March 2013 - 12:26 AM.

Posted Image

#46 canuktravella

canuktravella

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:45 AM

gillis said jensen would get called up in next few weeks, he is done in europe and heading to wolves i believe which means we will a gluttony of forwards i could see gills sending schroeder down picking up a 3line center going with
sedin sedin jensen
booth kesler burrows
raymond 3line c hansen
kassian lapps higgins
sesito

for playoffs unless they trade raymond or booth well find out in less than 30 days woot woot

#47 canuktravella

canuktravella

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:48 AM

vermette would adress one need in winning face offs but his cap hit is way to big we need a younger version of him making 1-2 mill instead of 4

#48 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,826 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

Vermette's cap hit will be fine, if Ballard and or Booth is not on the team by trade deadline. With Malhotra's cap hit no longer counting against Vancouver, Canucks do have room to trade for Vermette even if we still have Ballard and Booth, however thats the most we can get. Vermette will be what we should look at. But I don't really see it happening, with Phoenix probably making the playoffs.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#49 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,165 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

We need a speedy two way center with some grit and some passing ability. Vermette provides those things.

Although my only concern would be the price tag.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#50 InTheCrease

InTheCrease

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

For what he would cost, I still wish we would take a crack at Brule as a depth center.
“I played for the Leafs for three years, I’m used to the booing so it won’t affect me” - Kyle Wellwood

#51 InTheCrease

InTheCrease

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:32 PM

mobile
“I played for the Leafs for three years, I’m used to the booing so it won’t affect me” - Kyle Wellwood

#52 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

I heard a rumor about Mueller..

lol from hockeyinsider lol...

that being said if its true MG could have had him as a FA but didn't go for it...hmm...and now he'll give up players for him? says alot

#53 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,165 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:50 PM

lol from hockeyinsider lol...

that being said if its true MG could have had him as a FA but didn't go for it...hmm...and now he'll give up players for him? says alot

Wouldn't cost more than a 4th round pick.

I'd want someone with a little more durability though.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#54 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 17,094 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:43 AM

Obviously, Botch is a legitimate source. For him to come out and say "not Vermette" when asked if a bunch of other centres were available is peculiar.

Nope.
Kept at arms length to say the least.
No context.
Meaningless.

#55 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:41 AM

Nope.
Kept at arms length to say the least.
No context.
Meaningless.

Honestly, what is a legit source?

guys that are really good at speculating?

Does everyone really think GM's tell reporters what players they are interested in acquiring?

Millions of dollars, tampering, players and families at stake, screw it I'm calling Dreger and telling him I have moderate to medium interest in acquiring Vermette
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#56 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 17,094 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

Honestly, what is a legit source?

guys that are really good at speculating?

Does everyone really think GM's tell reporters what players they are interested in acquiring?

Millions of dollars, tampering, players and families at stake, screw it I'm calling Dreger and telling him I have moderate to medium interest in acquiring Vermette

Exactly.
And even the trusted "insiders" for the most part just "break" news of deals, racing to be the first to report after the fact - whereas in the case of a guy like Botchford, he and his sidekick Gallagher are entirely estranged from the Canucks - the Canucks don't bother updating either of these scribblers about anything.
If there's a legitimate inside Canucks source, his name is Murph, and he's not going to break confidence and start babbling every tidbit he knows on twitter.

#57 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

vermette would adress one need in winning face offs but his cap hit is way to big we need a younger version of him making 1-2 mill instead of 4

We have Ballard and Booth making $9 million combined yet you are complaining about Vermette's cap hit? Gillis will get rid of one or both to accommodate Vermette's cap hit.

Posted Image

#58 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

gillis  said jensen would get called up  in next few weeks, he is done in europe and heading to wolves i believe which means  we will a gluttony of forwards  i could  see  gills    sending schroeder down    picking up a 3line center   going with
     sedin sedin  jensen
     booth kesler burrows
     raymond  3line c   hansen
     kassian lapps higgins
     sesito            

for playoffs unless they trade raymond or booth  well find out in less than 30 days  woot woot

If Jensen gets called to the big club no way does Mr Gant put him on the 1st line. He will have to earn his dinner first.

#59 yogolol

yogolol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

If Jensen gets called to the big club no way does Mr Gant put him on the 1st line. He will have to earn his dinner first.

I would be surprised if he gets called up and doesn't get some time on the 1rst line.
Watch my hockey tributes! http://www.youtube.c...urjesuss/videos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.