108 replies to this topic

#31 gaydar

gaydar

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:56 PM

Better to be a sleeper in the regular season, and become hot in the playoffs.

Gooby pls.

#32 The Big Luongo

The Big Luongo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

you have to make the playoffs for that to happen though.
Canucks are 1 point out of 9th, and 2 points out of 11th!

People should be concerend.

Come on seriously lets not get foolish lol

The Canucks will win the division and it's a guarantee they'll make the playoffs

#33 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,437 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

The playoffs are a whole other game. Regular season success doesn't mean that you'll do well in the playoffs, and vice versa. The Canucks will get it together, I'm not worried

I said the exact same thing in 2006 and 2008.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#34 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

It is frustrating that the Canucks continue to play a lazy game, BUT look at it from this point of view.

The last two seasons we dominated and took home the PT, then fell in the playoffs. At that point it was too late to realize where they were going wrong. The fact that we're playing poorly during this season is completely fine with me. We have a bit of time to figure out where we're going wrong and my gut tells me they're going to realize this very shortly and be an asbolute powerhouse in the playoffs. Die hards stay positive, bandwagoners kindly f off to Chicago.

One of the big problems however is that with the way the team is trending there will not be any playoffs.
If the season goes down that way, I guess the bright side would be the Aquilini's will get pissed off at losing the playoff revenue and force changes to the team.

#35 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:30 PM

So what's your point, if we suck during Regular Season maybe we'll win in the Playoffs? LOL

Let's get real here, the team has gotten complacent, tonight WAS a do or die type of game, and the Canucks once again failed to show up.

First of all, how do you fail to show up when you get paid Millions to play? Would YOU fail to show up if you were given Millions to play?

I'm a Canucks fan through and through, but lets cut through the bullsh!t and get real here. We need a change and MG has the tools to do it. Trade Schneider and some other players if need be and make a change up. A solid multi-player deal could spruce things up.

As I see it the only GOOD thing we have going is our 1st and technically 3rd lines are scoring, and that is great to see.

We still need a 2nd line and we need a 4th line that continuously hits. I saw the Canucks get out-muscled once again in this game.

I also think Newell Brown and Rick B needs to get canned. Defense and Special teams suck ass and each of those areas have a SPECIFIC coach for them.

Tonight was NOT a do or die game. There is still HALF A SEASON left.
Life is short, LIVE IT

#36 gamasutra

gamasutra

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:00 AM

Then there's always next year...and the year after that.

#37 SNACanuck

SNACanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

Just because we make the playoffs doesn't mean we have a team that can do what is needed and bring Lord Stanley to Van. That's what makes me worried... It's like going to the Oscars and getting nominated and not winning. In the end your still a loser, and with the way we've been playing with no urgency or passion. We're screwed if we keep this up.

Cheers, 

Canucks fan in SoCal

#38 Justin6Schultz

Justin6Schultz

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:15 AM

Chaulk me up under " still confident"

Edited by Justin6Schultz, 11 March 2013 - 12:16 AM.

#39 fourminute

fourminute

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:16 AM

i think we really get scrwed just cuz we say we get scrweed no wonder we get screwed
Posted Image

#40 lolwut?

lolwut?

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:21 AM

Come on seriously lets not get foolish lol

The Canucks will win the division and it's a guarantee they'll make the playoffs

Not sure if this is just confidence or ignorance of our current situation.. there is no gaurantee at all that they will take the division, and quite frankly if they stumble into the playoffs where do you find any reason to beleive that they will even make it past the first round?

Im all for optimism, but to assume we're a shoein to win the division or even seriously compete for the cup is foolish in itself.

#41 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,028 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:23 AM

On paper this team is not a team that should be struggling for a playoff spot.

All these guys are capable of playing better. It's up to the coach to get the most out of them, and he's simply not doing that.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#42 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,144 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:41 AM

Better to be a sleeper in the regular season, and become hot in the playoffs.

Thing is, we could miss the playoff especially with a shorten season. Theres no room for errors

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#43 DollarAndADream

DollarAndADream

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,083 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:39 AM

It's getting painful watching them lose these games. Especially with the chances they fail to bury.

I am still confident they will turn it around though. I still watch the games, although this year I've watched the games less than I usually do. That is probably somewhat due to the lockout.

Something on this team needs to change.

x1vXIze.png
RIP LB/RR - Signature credit to JimLahey

small.pngCDCEHL

#44 Melbourne Canuck

Melbourne Canuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:10 AM

I am concerned for a few reasons.

We have $9.3mil tied up in goaltending when the team can't put the puck in the net. Obviously the Luongo contract is a big deterrent for other teams & it seems (judging by Schneiders agent's comments a couple weeks back) that MG & the organisation made some promises to Schneids.

Booth is on decent coin yet isn't getting it done. Can't see anyone wanting to trade for him & that contract.

Edler has been brutal on the back end. Seems reliant on his partner as he's looked all at sea since the departures of Ehrhoff & Salo. Yet we sign him for term at $5mil? Wow.

AV says the same things over & over and maintains that things will turn, bad bounces etc. The very definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over but expecting different results. The PP for example, Edler has been impotent on the first unit yet is a walk up start every time (and don't start me on Edler in the SO!). Why did we get Garrison if we're not going to use his shot on the PP?

I see fractures in this team coming out in public. Firstly there was Schneids' agent saying he needed to check with the organisation where things stand in regards to Schneider (and since then he's got most of the starts, probably rightly so) but the fact it was aired publicly is telling IMO. Manny comes out & says he feels he's right to play & he doesn't agree with MG's decision to shut him down. We lose Volpatti on waivers when it was clear to everyone (except MG it seems) that he'd be claimed. These things don't seem like much but I just don't see that happening a year or two back. Those things would've happened in house (if they even happened at all).

Where are these bold moves MG promised when he took over? Trading for Ballard, Booth & Kassian (at this stage) have been bombs, although Ballard has been decent this season. Signing the likes of Sturm are true head scratchers. This team is still largely Burke & Nonis'. Where is the MG stamp?

This team needs a shake up badly. The goaltender situation needs addressing and soon. We need some more parts to get this team going & the farm is next to bare. If MG isn't going to make some bold trades, he needs to make a bold coaching change ala LA last season. A stuttering PP, frail PK & defence and a distinct lack of scoring aren't ingredients to a successful team. Ultimately MG & AV are responsible for this & if this status quo remains, heads will roll.

#45 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:55 AM

It is frustrating that the Canucks continue to play a lazy game, BUT look at it from this point of view.

The last two seasons we dominated and took home the PT, then fell in the playoffs. At that point it was too late to realize where they were going wrong. The fact that we're playing poorly during this season is completely fine with me. We have a bit of time to figure out where we're going wrong and my gut tells me they're going to realize this very shortly and be an asbolute powerhouse in the playoffs. Die hards stay positive, bandwagoners kindly f off to Chicago.

We have to get there first. Judging by that clusterf--k last night I am having serious doubts. If we do nothing else, we must start to settle on what our best lines are and damn well stick to them. We are getting no chemistry or understanding built at all just now and it just gets worse and worse.
Kevin.jpg

#46 MikeyD

MikeyD

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:03 AM

I'm still confident!

Posted Image

#47 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

I wouldn't say I'm still confident but I do believe they can turn it around.

I agree. I think the Canucks have all the pieces to turn this season around, all the answers are within.

Not to make excuses, but the injuries (ie Kesler and Bieksa) have had a huge impact on the Canucks. If they were healthy then the team would have a much better record. I believe the Canucks will get better and some changes will be made.

Gillis needs to turn one of the goalies (directly or indirectly) into more depth at forward. Sure, there's nothing wrong with having two great goalies on your team. But when there's a need for depth up front that's a luxury you can't afford. Unfortunately, as more time passes the more difficult it becomes to trade one of them and the less you'll get in return.

rundblad3_zpsc5e56154.png

#48 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:53 AM

I agree. I think the Canucks have all the pieces to turn this season around, all the answers are within.

Not to make excuses, but the injuries (ie Kesler and Bieksa) have had a huge impact on the Canucks. If they were healthy then the team would have a much better record. I believe the Canucks will get better and some changes will be made.

Gillis needs to turn one of the goalies (directly or indirectly) into more depth at forward. Sure, there's nothing wrong with having two great goalies on your team. But when there's a need for depth up front that's a luxury you can't afford. Unfortunately, as more time passes the more difficult it becomes to trade one of them and the less you'll get in return.

Your a smart man for a Chicago fan.

#49 rkyway

rkyway

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

"The fact that we're playing poorly during this season is completely fine with me."
- you have an unusual grasp of logic if you think playing poorly during the regular season will necessarily translate to playoff success. (Assuming the team even makes the playoffs; which it won't if it continues to play this badly.)

- If your 'logic' is correct I guess this means Florida is going to be in the finals.

#50 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,682 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

Seems almost every post game interview has something like the following statement:

"yeah...we didn't get the start we needed..."

or

"yeah....we didn't finish well..."

I'm getting sick and tired of that.
I mean, it's been going on almost every game this entire season - why don't you do something to fix it?
In other words - put some extra effort into the first few shifts.

Maybe we should start the 3rd or 4th line - seeing how we have given up so many goals in the first minute anyways...

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#51 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:59 AM

Very fair assessment. We certainly can't have 5 mill sitting on the bench every game. But as you said, the return is shrinking with every game that passes.
Posted Image

#52 Wyoming Fan

Wyoming Fan

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:20 AM

I am concerned for a few reasons.

We have $9.3mil tied up in goaltending when the team can't put the puck in the net. Obviously the Luongo contract is a big deterrent for other teams & it seems (judging by Schneiders agent's comments a couple weeks back) that MG & the organisation made some promises to Schneids.

Booth is on decent coin yet isn't getting it done. Can't see anyone wanting to trade for him & that contract.

Edler has been brutal on the back end. Seems reliant on his partner as he's looked all at sea since the departures of Ehrhoff & Salo. Yet we sign him for term at $5mil? Wow.

AV says the same things over & over and maintains that things will turn, bad bounces etc. The very definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over but expecting different results. The PP for example, Edler has been impotent on the first unit yet is a walk up start every time (and don't start me on Edler in the SO!). Why did we get Garrison if we're not going to use his shot on the PP?

I see fractures in this team coming out in public. Firstly there was Schneids' agent saying he needed to check with the organisation where things stand in regards to Schneider (and since then he's got most of the starts, probably rightly so) but the fact it was aired publicly is telling IMO. Manny comes out & says he feels he's right to play & he doesn't agree with MG's decision to shut him down. We lose Volpatti on waivers when it was clear to everyone (except MG it seems) that he'd be claimed. These things don't seem like much but I just don't see that happening a year or two back. Those things would've happened in house (if they even happened at all).

Where are these bold moves MG promised when he took over? Trading for Ballard, Booth & Kassian (at this stage) have been bombs, although Ballard has been decent this season. Signing the likes of Sturm are true head scratchers. This team is still largely Burke & Nonis'. Where is the MG stamp?

This team needs a shake up badly. The goaltender situation needs addressing and soon. We need some more parts to get this team going & the farm is next to bare. If MG isn't going to make some bold trades, he needs to make a bold coaching change ala LA last season. A stuttering PP, frail PK & defence and a distinct lack of scoring aren't ingredients to a successful team. Ultimately MG & AV are responsible for this & if this status quo remains, heads will roll.

Completely agree! IMO the first issue that should be addressed is the goaltending. Get off the fence and make a trade! it's like a little black cloud over the team. OH! Schneider's in net tonight! Must be Lou is getting traded! No! Wait! Now they have Loungo! Schneids is the one to be traded! Please!! Do something, MG!! Am I saying that a goalie trade is THE answer to the Canucks woes? No! But how can either of these goalies play consistently with the trade threat hanging over their heads?? (even if it is supposedly wanted...Loungo). And then there are the boneheaded moves like putting Volpatti on waivers and picking up Sestito! I understand management is trying to build a team similar to Boston, but if you are going to get goons, at least get goons that can play!! Sestito??? Really??? :picard:
For the people who want LIndy Ruff...be careful what you wish for! I like him as much as the rest of you, but IMO, he is just another AV without the chewing gum. Have you seen the Sabres play the past few years? If something doesn't change, that is the going to be our team in the next year or two! In fact, if it wasn't for the Canucks uniform, I would think I was watching the Sabres! Very similar issues with both teams! At least Buffalo is in a good position to pick up some decent draft picks this year!

#53 Chuck in the Truck

Chuck in the Truck

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

Reality check were not that good without a top forward and a top defence any team would suffer the same ,the good thing is maybe they will understand not a coast anymore play hard everygame .

#54 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

Sorry, not buying this theory. I am a die hard fan and I'm going to continue to support them through thick and thin like I have the last 41 years. They need to start playing with a level of urgency in the regular season so they don't slide out of playoff contention.

I was confident they would play their way out of this slump (I still think they will) but I think it is time to send a harder message to a few players. Edler should watch the next couple from the press box. Stick Barker in. Put Kass back with the twins to see if we can get him going again.

I agree with sending Schroeder down if we aren't going to put him on a line to try and create offence. He isn't a 4th line centre. Bringing up Ebbett hardly seems like an inspired move. He's been up before and hasn't done much. Isn't it time to give someone else a carrot and a taste of the SHOW.
Posted Image

#55 Socrates

Socrates

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

I am not worried at all.

The Canucks will win the division and come playoff time will have just as good of a chance to win it all as anyone as long as MG makes at least one or two good moves.

A healthy team with Bieksa, Kesler and Pinizzotto along with good trade or two by MG bringing in a good forward for Luongo + will have this team set up for a long cup run imo.

If i was MG i would also package Edler off with a player and or prospect for a solid tougher more reliable dman because clearly Edler will be in over his head again and a major weakness come playoff time.

Suggesting you be worried.

If 1-2 difference makers become available, how on Earth do you think we can land them (with our <$1M cap space and bad contracts) vs. teams with $10-20M in cap space. Glance at capgeek.com and you will have the same "oh-crap!" moment I had a few days ago. We simply do not have the muscle (right chips or cash) to make big moves.

I have been saying that the owners are the main issue and I stand by that. The have become too complacent and have allowed MG too much rope (and MG did the same with AV). Sadly, it is getting very late very fast for significant changes to have an impact this season. It could be that all we can do is dump what we don't need - with our eyes set on re-building the team.

#56 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,398 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

A team squeaking into the playoffs is not the NHL model of success. LA was an anomaly and to follow that template is to invite disaster. The Nucks are not resting and just going to flip on a switch later, they are flat out sucking.

Die hards stay positive, bandwagoners kindly f off to Chicago.

Last part of your post was garbage, hostile and unnecessary.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#57 Canuck_Inferno

Canuck_Inferno

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

I am not worried at all.

The Canucks will win the division and come playoff time will have just as good of a chance to win it all as anyone as long as MG makes at least one or two good moves.

A healthy team with Bieksa, Kesler and Pinizzotto along with good trade or two by MG bringing in a good forward for Luongo + will have this team set up for a long cup run imo.

If i was MG i would also package Edler off with a player and or prospect for a solid tougher more reliable dman because clearly Edler will be in over his head again and a major weakness come playoff time.

Who's going to want Edler, though?

#58 Socrates

Socrates

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

Posted ImageTheMessenjah, on 10 March 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

Die hards stay positive, bandwagoners kindly f off to Chicago.

Last part of your post was garbage, hostile and unnecessary.

TimberWolf, I agree with you completely, but you're in a different league altogether. May I suggest you don't bother. Some are simply not cut for respectful debates.

#59 Anubis61

Anubis61

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

I agree that it's better to peak and win big in the playoffs than in the regular season but the more games the boys lose the harder it will be to get back into a winning frame of mind. Now is the time to get it together for a good run.

#60 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

to quote the amazing Pavel Bure

"Im not happy"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.