Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 6 votes

Kassian needs to be sent down, for everyone's benefit

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
200 replies to this topic

#181 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

Kassian really needs to GO TO THE NET... And not get fancy like he did last night then cost us a goal.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#182 Guest_Gumballthechewy_*

Guest_Gumballthechewy_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

Remember when the twins made Carter, Pyatt and Bitz look good?

No, who are they?

#183 monsterdash

monsterdash

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

You're also a dude who apparently forgot that Kassian was leading the team in goals and how good he looked when he was on the first.

Who cares if he looked good playing with the TWINS

As WZRD said, the Sedins can make just about anybody look good. Pyatt of all players got 25 with them and Carter got what, 33 with them? I'm sure Kassian could do more than 25 if he played 82 with the twins but at least when Pyatt wasn't playing in that offensive roll he was at least OK on the PK.

Not a chance I would ever put Kassian on the PK. Starting to see my point?

Kassian needs to the other things effectively when he's not scoring goals. If he plans on dropping the mitts here and there, that isn't exactly going to cut it anymore considering Weise, Pinizziotto and Sestito can do that any time.

He needs to start playing like a beast.. move his feet and finish his checks hard.

We all know he has the tools to do it which it makes it all the more frustrating to watch him float around for about 85% of his shifts.

#184 RWMc1

RWMc1

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

To the Cody-lovin Kassian-haters; If Cody is so great shouldn't Buffalo have gotton better after they made the trade? Kassian is being played in a checking role for a reason. He is not going to be handed a spot. He has to earn it, not by scoring but by learning to be defensively responsible. He is still young and has many years ahead of him. Give the kid a chance!

Edited by RWMc1, 15 March 2013 - 01:41 PM.

Vancouver Canucks Stanley Cup Champions 2015/16 So let it be written, So let it be done!

My Cup Runneth.  Get your crap together; go get it and bring it here!! Now!!!

Cupquester "Who is that horrible little twerp?"

#185 mikeburn

mikeburn

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

To the Cody-lovin Kassian-haters; If Cody is so great shouldn't Buffalo have gotton better after they made the trade? Kassian is being played in a checking role for a reason. He is not going to be handed a spot. He has to earn it, not by scoring but by learning to be defensively responsible. He is still young and has many years ahead of him. Give the kid a chance!

Using the logic that if Hodgson is so great Buffalo ought to have gotten better post-trade, only begs the question - if Kassian is so great, shouldn't Vancouver have gotten better post-trade?

But really, FYI, no one player is ever gonna make or break a team. Players are pieces of the whole, some with more influence over a particular game's shape than others, but still all merely pieces of the whole.

Also FYI, if AV's decision-making about Kassian's ice time was really about helping the kid to learn better defensive play, AV would be better off not undermining (or outright trashing) the kid's confidence by benching him with every screw up in favour of others who are equally culpable of having screwed up.

For an easy comparison - Hodgson has gone from being a so-called "defensive liability" under AV's coaching, to being a go-to PK guy for the Sabres, leading them in PK points, getting steadily better on the +/- and faceoff %, etc. Kassian under AV still looks lost too frequently and his defensive game arguably sucks as much as it did last year.

So, don't fault Hodgson or Kassian or bash the fans who appreciate what each of these very different players bring to the game - look to how they've been managed so far.... I don't question Kassian's prospects, only how long it's gonna be for him to reach his potential if he's playing under fear of being benched for every screw up.

Every player has to be played to gain the experience needed to play well.

And you're being overly sensitive and doing the exact same thing he is doing.  Focus on talking hockey if that's where you want the discussion to go.  

#186 wendythirteenthrashers

wendythirteenthrashers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

Well in that case you'd assume that in practice they'd put him through penalty kill drills.... How else would he get better defensively?

#187 Guest_Gumballthechewy_*

Guest_Gumballthechewy_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

Not a chance I would ever put Kassian on the PK. Starting to see my point?

Kassian needs to the other things effectively when he's not scoring goals.

You want him to be a sound defensive player (I'm assuming because other than hitting and scoring what else is there?) but you'd never put him on the PK?

Makes sense... <_<

We all know he has the tools to do it which it makes it all the more frustrating to watch him float around for about 85% of his shifts.

That is painful to see. I do wish he would do a little more, more often. Inconsistency has been this guys biggest problem since junior.

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 15 March 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#188 mikeburn

mikeburn

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

Well in that case you'd assume that in practice they'd put him through penalty kill drills.... How else would he get better defensively?

Seems none of the teams have had a lot of practice time this season...

First is being taught a skill/ability, being told what someone is looking to see, etc. Then after that first piece of the learning curve, practice is needed (sometimes a LOT of practice) to refine, adjust, and basically embed the lesson until it's at or nearing more an instinctive level. The final step is applying what one has been practicing to in-game situations, with more time typically needed to refine and adjust until it becomes natural.

For example, take a lil' guy new to hockey altogether... you can show him how to perform reverse crossovers, but he'll need lots of ice time in practice mode to perfect the feet work, and even when he is ready to start applying it in-game, it's not gonna be instinctive or fast/strong until he's had the in-game ice time too. Benching the kid the first shift he falls on his butt ain't gonna help him get the experience he needs to improve - or do a bit of good for his confidence so he even keeps trying.

What opportunity has Kassian had to learn, practice and perfect how the coaching staff are looking for him to perform in the Canuck's "system"? I vote for giving the kid some patience.

And you're being overly sensitive and doing the exact same thing he is doing.  Focus on talking hockey if that's where you want the discussion to go.  

#189 sakage.shinga

sakage.shinga

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

I'd rather see Kassian focus a bit more on his defensive play first and then work on going to the net. I've seen him make some questionable plays & passes...

Still think he'll be awesome for us though.
Posted Image

#190 rfus88

rfus88

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

Give the guy a break , he has yet to even play a full season in the NHL. Hes got the size, skill, and speed. Just needs to time to put it all together.

Btw he has already improved from last season, what more do you want?

#191 KeslerBEAST

KeslerBEAST

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

Everyone wants him to be the next Lucic/Bertuzzi but do either of them play D? nope, they're both floaters. I don't mind if Kassian costs us a few games or makes a few bad defensive plays as long as he can eventually add that 50 points + intimidation and doesn't cost us too frequently but you can't expect the kid to be a power forward selke nominee aka David Backes.

Edited by KeslerBEAST, 15 March 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#192 CanuckleHead1092

CanuckleHead1092

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

whatta joke the OP is. by sending him down kassian loses out on much needed experience in the NHL. This is a shortened season a perfect time for rookies to be eased into the nhl. Next season kassian will have a full training camp to learn the Canucks system as well as pre season. This seaso is very important for his development and he will learn NOTHING being in the AHL

#193 UFTcan

UFTcan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

He is on the wrong line to be effective, Booth is a fast waste of skin, with his empty netter and 2 assists, Im sure playing with David Booth is no treat. And higgins is most effective when he disapears in the background, not to knock Higgy but 7 goals 4 assists is not exactly a set up guy either..

This guy is the perfect complement to the twins, he was lighting it up at the beginning of the season playing with them. Also actually someone who can play with the twins and protect them. This guy was made for that role, he is sure a hell of a lot more suited to it then Taylor Pyatt or these other worthless slugs who got thier shot, time to give Kass a legit try.

#194 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,656 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

It's amusing that some a willing to erase the good things that Kass was doing on the Sedin line as if he was a plug being carried like some players before him. Remember that those players were benifitting off Sedins playing lights out and Kass was playing with Sedins that were not nearly as good as they can be. I won't say he carried the line, but everyone benifited unlike in the past tests with a big winger.

Sedins playing bigger when he's there is an added bonus. I really don't care if he can immitate Weise defensevly, I want his offense nourished and net crashing encouraged.

Edited by TimberWolf, 15 March 2013 - 07:37 PM.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#195 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

Everyone wants him to be the next Lucic/Bertuzzi but do either of them play D? nope, they're both floaters. I don't mind if Kassian costs us a few games or makes a few bad defensive plays as long as he can eventually add that 50 points + intimidation and doesn't cost us too frequently but you can't expect the kid to be a power forward selke nominee aka David Backes.

Neither of those guys impress in the playoffs either :frantic:

#196 RWMc1

RWMc1

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

Using the logic that if Hodgson is so great Buffalo ought to have gotten better post-trade, only begs the question - if Kassian is so great, shouldn't Vancouver have gotten better post-trade?

But really, FYI, no one player is ever gonna make or break a team. Players are pieces of the whole, some with more influence over a particular game's shape than others, but still all merely pieces of the whole.

Also FYI, if AV's decision-making about Kassian's ice time was really about helping the kid to learn better defensive play, AV would be better off not undermining (or outright trashing) the kid's confidence by benching him with every screw up in favour of others who are equally culpable of having screwed up.

For an easy comparison - Hodgson has gone from being a so-called "defensive liability" under AV's coaching, to being a go-to PK guy for the Sabres, leading them in PK points, getting steadily better on the +/- and faceoff %, etc. Kassian under AV still looks lost too frequently and his defensive game arguably sucks as much as it did last year.

So, don't fault Hodgson or Kassian or bash the fans who appreciate what each of these very different players bring to the game - look to how they've been managed so far.... I don't question Kassian's prospects, only how long it's gonna be for him to reach his potential if he's playing under fear of being benched for every screw up.

No-one has claimed that Kassian is great. Codys butt-kissers have. See the difference?

Buffalo has slipped. Canucks are still a Playoff team.

AV treats all young players that way. He shouldn't get a free pass.

Vancouver Canucks Stanley Cup Champions 2015/16 So let it be written, So let it be done!

My Cup Runneth.  Get your crap together; go get it and bring it here!! Now!!!

Cupquester "Who is that horrible little twerp?"

#197 CanadianRugby

CanadianRugby

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

It seems that there are two groups of fans here.

GROUP 1
Diehard fans that refuse say negative things about Kass because he's a Canuck. When they look at him they see potential and a young player trying to learn.

GROUP 2
Fans that see that their team has a window that's rapidly closing (if not already closed) and are frustrated with any player (Kassian) isn't playing up to stanley cup standards.

My view.
I like Kassian as I do all the Canucks. But his faults are much greater than his assets at this point in his career in order to play anything other than a fringe role on this team. The Canucks don't have time to wait for him to develop. They need to win now. It's frustrating seeing people preach patience in here when the one thing this team doesn't have is time. By the time Kassian develops into what some say he will be, the Sedins and Kesler will be too old and we won't have anybody in this organization to replace them until we do a rebuild. We may never have a better forward than the Sedins.

#198 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,320 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

It seems that there are two groups of fans here.

GROUP 1
Diehard fans that refuse say negative things about Kass because he's a Canuck. When they look at him they see potential and a young player trying to learn.

GROUP 2
Fans that see that their team has a window that's rapidly closing (if not already closed) and are frustrated with any player (Kassian) isn't playing up to stanley cup standards.

My view.
I like Kassian as I do all the Canucks. But his faults are much greater than his assets at this point in his career in order to play anything other than a fringe role on this team. The Canucks don't have time to wait for him to develop. They need to win now. It's frustrating seeing people preach patience in here when the one thing this team doesn't have is time. By the time Kassian develops into what some say he will be, the Sedins and Kesler will be too old and we won't have anybody in this organization to replace them until we do a rebuild. We may never have a better forward than the Sedins.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Kassian is not making or breaking this teams cup contention.

No true centers after Hank currently playing other than ebbet and lappy
Terrible defensive play by the whole team and certainly by our defenseman
Burrows not scoring while playing with the Sedins
Booth one empty net goal
Useless powerplay
Inconsistent goal tending
Lack of consistent team effort
Not skating or playing sixty minute hockey

Kassian is 22. He has faults in his game. But you're post hinges our teams window on a 22 year old player in his first albeit abbreviated season.

Try to see the forest through the trees.

Edited by riffraff, 16 March 2013 - 05:29 PM.

Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#199 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

Kassian looking good out there lately.
Some of you cody fkboys need to give it up.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#200 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,334 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

Id rather have the size in any of the winger spots.

His play has slipped a bit, but he is still learning.

He really needs to work on the defensive parts, noticed he has given up on the puck at the absolute incorrect moments during line changes.

But he is the least of my concerns.

2sa1qgh.jpg

The Canucks Playoff preparation

#201 Wyoming Fan

Wyoming Fan

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

Well said and completely agree!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.