The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian needs to be sent down, for everyone's benefit

The Dark Knight

its funny i made a similar thread like this and whatn happened

the precious canuck fans came out calling me a trolll

kassian is horrible, let me say it again hes horrible okay he needs to work on his passing shooting and skating

back to the farm plz but management won't why because they cant admit they lost the trade to hodgson like every other canuck fan

Also, Kassian would likely have to clear waivers, while Schroeder doesn't. That's another reason he wasn't sent down over Schroeder. AV/Gillis can't, without someone nabbing him. And regardless of current play, heads would roll if a Gillis prized project was lost to waivers without getting time to develop.

Also, Kassian would likely have to clear waivers, while Schroeder doesn't. That's another reason he wasn't sent down over Schroeder. AV/Gillis can't, without someone nabbing him. And regardless of current play, heads would roll if a Gillis prized project was lost to waivers without getting time to develop.

the day MG sends Kassian down to the Wolves is the day he admits he made a mistake in trading cody. No I am not saying Cody is a better player than Kassian - we will not know this until 3-4 years down the line. I am saying he and the canucks organization made a mistake in handling the entire hodgson ordeal as well as trading him for kassian. MG always stated he would never trade unless it made sense and was not subtracting from the team. As of right now, the trade was a major subtraction.

Cue the "cody wanted out"

Who cares. Cody really doesn't have a say. If Cody really wanted out, why would MG listen to a snobby kid. Sit him down, and tell him to sh*t up and play.

I don't think the relationship was unsalvageable, but the fact that MG and AV were too stubborn to try Cody at center when they knew Kesler was ineffective at it (he has a shoot first mentality).

the day MG sends Kassian down to the Wolves is the day he admits he made a mistake in trading cody. No I am not saying Cody is a better player than Kassian - we will not know this until 3-4 years down the line. I am saying he and the canucks organization made a mistake in handling the entire hodgson ordeal as well as trading him for kassian. MG always stated he would never trade unless it made sense and was not subtracting from the team. As of right now, the trade was a major subtraction.

Cue the "cody wanted out"

Who cares. Cody really doesn't have a say. If Cody really wanted out, why would MG listen to a snobby kid. Sit him down, and tell him to sh*t up and play.

I don't think the relationship was unsalvageable, but the fact that MG and AV were too stubborn to try Cody at center when they knew Kesler was ineffective at it (he has a shoot first mentality).

You guys are nuts.. He's playing awesome with booth.. Just wait till kesler gets back those three are going to start racking up points. Flame me all you want but ill hit you back with I told you so's when the seasons over.. This is the best play I've seen from those 2 since they've been here. They're both skating and hitting like crazy, playin mean.

This is our new second line. Get used to it

This, exactly. Except that I will say that I think Kassian is a bad player.

There is no way to analyze this situation that it isn't a major Gillis screw up. Either he thought he was improving the team last year when we were on our way to the President's Trophy (obviously wrong), or he thought he was improving in the near future (which certainly hasn't happened). If Cody wanted out, I can't totally blame him considering how badly the team treated him around his injury issues. And even if he did, you don't need to trade him, he has no rights and you can mend fences. Even if a trade was necessary, why did it have to be to break up a winning team on its way to the playoffs? Because "Kassian may not have been available in the off season"? Uhh, I'm pretty sure if you're going to give Buffalo a stud young forward with the ability to take an NHL shift that CoHo had displayed, in exchange for a guy that was getting scratched in the AHL, Darcy Regier will take your call at any hour of the day whether it's the trade deadline or after the season. If you're actually getting told that trade wouldn't be on the table if you waited, and you you're believing it, you're too easily snookered for the job you have. No matter what, Gillis screwed up.

This is what I see with Kass...

A big kid with good wheels and soft hands who is struggling to find his place in the NHL.

He started the NHL season like a house on fire because he was in game shape...had a minor groin injury while with the Wolves, which he managed to play through. I would even argue that he was our best forward and carried the Sedins for the first 4-5 games as the Sedins and Burrows were working themselves into game shape.

When the rest of the "men" in the NHL caught up with Kass as far as game shape is concerned by game 10 or so, he hit a wall which was further exacerbated by AV's moving him around the lineup, taking away the kid's confidence as to the role that he needed to play (Kass' role should be easy to define -- a skilled power forward who should be capable of playing in all three zones of the ice and able to drop his mitts when he feels is necessary).

Even though AV has treated Kass like the ugly girl at the party, Kass has kept his mouth shut and has been a good team guy. Kass even sounds like a muted wallflower in his interviews...he has come across as being polite and passive, which is not the persona that we want of him on the ice -- this tells me his confidence is lacking. This, I hang entirely on AV.

His lack of confidence has manifested itself in tentative hitting, treating the puck like a hot potato, losing puck battles that he should be winning, and inability to finish. I was glad to see that he took the boarding penalty he did last night because this might be the first sign he's gaining some confidence.

The kid has NHL tangibles (i.e., size and skill)...he doesn't have NHL intangibles yet (i.e., competitiveness, ability to bring it every single shift every night). The only place he's going to learn the NHL intangibles is in the NHL.

For all the talk about Kass needing a mentor specific to the role that he should be playing, who would that be? There's no one on the roster that is expected to play the all-around game that we expect of Kass, other than possibly Booth, but he strikes me more as a surfer dude who is trying to find his own way back in the NHL. Whether Kass has leadership skills or not, we won't know because AV has essentially neutered the kid...when Kass stepped up and took on Eager and Clowe, my thoughts were he was showing initiative and leadership and assuming a specific role on the team, but from day 1 when AV wrapped his arms around Kass to prevent him from getting involved, AV has done more to stunt the kid's mental/emotional development which is the area that Kass needs to develop. When Kass's head is right, he's going to be a force in the NHL...my only concern is AV is going to phuck it up for the kid.

So, here's my solution...put Kass back with the Sedins for a few games...let him play with reckless abandon (the Sedins are smart enough to adjust their game for a few games)...and give the kid carte blanche in taking on whoever he wants. This will also help with getting the Sedins to move their game from the perimeter to the middle of the ice, where they seem deathly afraid of entering (the one time they moved their play to the middle last night, Daniel drew a penalty...their perimeter play with Burrows is getting too easy to defend).

We acquired Kass to be a skilled power forward who is capable of chucking them with the best of them, so let the kid be who want him to be.

Sedin's have been perimeter players lately because big defencemen have been clutching and grinding them down along the boards. Kassian is jsut what the doctor ordered for the twins... him or booth. They can draw some more bodies towards them and open up some ice for the twins to work.

The sedin's don't catch poo for their cruddy defensive play. Put kassian with them where he cant do too much damage in the defensive zone since they never play there.

Archived