Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 2 votes

Is Jordan Shroeder's Time in Vancouver Done?

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#31 HabsNucks > LeafsFlames

HabsNucks > LeafsFlames

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

I wonder what the Canucks reasoning for not selecting Brendan Gallagher was since he was a star player on the Vancouver Giants. I know we're talking different draft years here but he went all the way in the 5th round and he's playing an important role for Montreal in his rookie year.

He's similar in size (5'9 163lbs) compared to Schroeder (5'8 175lbs) but Gallagher has a much higher battle level and will get into the dirty areas. I wonder if a player can change up their style of play this drastically at this stage of their career.

#32 CHIPS

CHIPS

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

Hey, weren't you guys the one who said hodgson was done after his first season with us?

No I wasn't. I liked guys like Raymond, Grabner and Hodgson. The Hodgson trade was especially a shock, before I find out about those internal problems.

Schroeder is is already 22 and hasn't found a stable role and job on our regular line up. He cannot be a grinder and he aren't good enough to be our top 6. I am not writing Schroeder off as a player. But he just doesn't fit with our team.

We are better off trading Schroeder for guys like Chris Kreider. We can use him on the 3rd line right away.

Edited by CHIPS, 13 March 2013 - 11:06 AM.

CanucksvsBruinsPollsmall-1.jpgRogerNeilsonSmall.jpgSig too big. 

#33 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

Schroeder already written off.

Jesus Murphy..

#34 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

He was pretty good when he first got called up, him and Raymond had great chemistry. Raymond's play has dipped as well since Schroeder was moved off of his line.

It makes no sense as to why they were split up (same with Ballard and Tanev). Those two combos (along with the twins) were working. AT THE VERY LEAST AV could have put Schroeder between Kassian and Booth, making them a scoring line. With Lapierre they hit but can't score.

Schroeder with Weise and Sestito makes no sense. Strange decisions made. I mean an NHL coach should know better than me, but obviously is experiments failed as I would have expected.

Edited by canucklehead44, 13 March 2013 - 11:21 AM.

Sig too big.

#35 kylecanuck

kylecanuck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

Schroeder already written off.

Jesus Murphy..

No written off, just expendable. It would be different if he was being used in a position to excel but he's not. He's being buried on the fourth and now sent down(which I'm happy about)

We also don't have a centre position available for him it seems... Don't ask my why we don't with Kesler out...
The children, wont someone please think of the children!!!

#36 PLOGUE

PLOGUE

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

Drafting small players rarely pans out. Irregardless of his ability, Schroeder is too small to be effective if he isn't scoring. That is the biggest issue with small players, not many of them turn out to be ronning, kariya or st.louis, more often they turn out to be a Brandon Reid or josh Holden. Sad but true.
QUOTE (ephysdad @ Oct 26 2008, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or then of course there's always the Ferry

Also,
I'm putting together a list of the criteria to be a "real" Canuck's fan. So far I have this:

1. I cheer for the Canucks, whatever happens.
2. I never say anything bad about the Canucks.
3. I know the difference between "real" fans and posers just by how they post on the CDC or where they sit at GM Place.
4. I wouldn't dream of leaving a game before it ended, even if it meant missing a train, ferry or a threesome with the wife and her hot best friend?
5. I make 10+ posts a day and I have over 10,000 posts on the CDC, so my Canuck "street-cred" is huge. Go away noob!
6. No one F's with me. I train in MMA. I'm really tough. I'll curb stomp yo' donkey.
7. I make a tonne of $$$$.
8. I'm witty.
9. If it meant missing a game, I wouldn't study for a midterm.
10. I roll with a guy who has a wicked car.
11. I like to post "source?" a lot.

#37 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

Drafting small players rarely pans out. Irregardless of his ability, Schroeder is too small to be effective if he isn't scoring. That is the biggest issue with small players, not many of them turn out to be ronning, kariya or st.louis, more often they turn out to be a Brandon Reid or josh Holden. Sad but true.

The fact that he was ok on a 4th line defensive role is great news for Canuck fans.
It shows he's reliable enough defensively because his strength is offense and the question mark has always been on the defensive side of the game

#38 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

He was pretty good when he first got called up, him and Raymond had great chemistry. Raymond's play has dipped as well since Schroeder was moved off of his line.

It makes no sense as to why they were split up (same with Ballard and Tanev). Those two combos (along with the twins) were working. AT THE VERY LEAST AV could have put Schroeder between Kassian and Booth, making them a scoring line. With Lapierre they hit but can't score.

Schroeder with Weise and Sestito makes no sense. Strange decisions made. I mean an NHL coach should know better than me, but obviously is experiments failed as I would have expected.

No no... Booth and Kassian was saved for Andrew Ebbett lol. Shroeder hasn't proven himself yet.

#39 TheWheeler

TheWheeler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

Just another reason why AV has made me lose 100% interest in this team this year. I like exciting hockey. I like the team to win (which it did at the beginning of the year). I like to watch young players who I have been excited about in development get on the team and show what they can do. I like to watch even when the team loses, but they are still playing exciting hockey.

The decisions this coach has made are baffling.

It's the exact same thing we did last year. We were in 1st place, playing exciting hockey with Cody being very productive and contributing. Then AV decides to change direction with the team and focus 100% on defensive hockey (yawn).

This year? We have a great start and win a pile of games. Then switch the team around and when the opportunity arises to GO BACK to that winning roster, he decides to go even more amateurish and defensive.

YAWN.

#40 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

nah , he just needs to have a strong training camp

and who knows , with injuries he might get brought up again

i still think he needs to work on some things but thats how it works for most players , they get a taste , realize what they need to work on and deal with it in the off season and try again next year , jordans a smaller player , it'll take some time but he'll be back up eventually , unless van somehow lands a younger center like shawn matthias
Posted Image

#41 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

Another brainiac who thinks a guy has no ongoing value here, yet thinks someone else will be tripping over themselves in their excitement to trade for him.

#42 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

people need to realize players take time to develop

the fact jordan even played here for as long as he did AV obviously saw things he liked from his game

he's just got to get better at those things in the AHL and try harder next call up or training camp
Posted Image

#43 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

It is pertinent imo to use him as trade bait for a skilled depth D or C for playoff run I advocate Gillis to pull the trigger! How many times has Shroeder been sent up and down up and down? Come playoffs I do not think Jordan will be a factor especially because of the increased physicality. He is small and doesn't look like an everyday NHLer. Playing on the 4th line isn't helping his cause to becoming a point producer. He's been given PP time and lots of games to showcase his talents. Drafted in 2010 he still has struggled mightily to maintain a NHL roster spot.

I think Jordan Shroeder's tenure as a Canuck is all but done. If he goes to a team like the Isles he may find an offensive spark.

Shroeder & Ballard for Visnovsky, Reasoner & 3rd 2013 might be worth looking considering

If we don't value him, why should they?

#44 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

The fact that he was ok on a 4th line defensive role is great news for Canuck fans.
It shows he's reliable enough defensively because his strength is offense and the question mark has always been on the defensive side of the game

His strength is not offence, at least not at a professional level. His lack of production in the AHL is just further evidence of that simple fact - and without offence, with his lack of size, he is very unlikely to have an NHL career. Burrows, Kesler, Raymond, Hansen, Bieksa, etc. were all very productive at the AHL level before coming up.

#45 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

No written off, just expendable. It would be different if he was being used in a position to excel but he's not. He's being buried on the fourth and now sent down(which I'm happy about)

We also don't have a centre position available for him it seems... Don't ask my why we don't with Kesler out...

Because he is just not good enough, even when the choice is a winger.

#46 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

Schroeder's play seemed to taper off,so I'm guessing that he was sent back to the AHL to reset himself...I don't buy in to the 'he's too small' theory,that was'nt the issue...I'm guessing it was a case of consistency(after a good start,he started to become invisible),faceoffs,and intensity.When you're a small player,you have to bring something else to the table.

AV has had nothing but good things to say about JS,so all the talk of AV blocking the rookies progress is just garbage perpetuated here on cdc...JS was rated the 5th best North American prospect in the 2009 draft,he was picked 22nd by the Canucks(kassian was picked 13th the same year).

#47 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

He is not our top prospect. Nicklas Jensen is.

23 games ago he was our only top prospect able to play NHL minutes.
Jensen is two years away from NHL full time.
Jensen already has one concussion.I would say he will be brought to the big show very slowly.

#48 KeslerBEAST

KeslerBEAST

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

His strength is not offence, at least not at a professional level. His lack of production in the AHL is just further evidence of that simple fact - and without offence, with his lack of size, he is very unlikely to have an NHL career. Burrows, Kesler, Raymond, Hansen, Bieksa, etc. were all very productive at the AHL level before coming up.

Although I'm a bit disappointed that he isn't lightning up the AHL I don't feel that it's a good indicator that he's gonna be a bust. Hodgson didn't light up the AHL his first year then got to play in the NHL and then during lockout he went point per game in the AHL, sometimes you need a little bit of NHL experience before you figure out what you really need to work on and who knows maybe Schroeder will destroy the AHL now that hes got some NHL experience. Grabner had similar numbers to Schroeder's first 2 years in the AHL and Grabner is a decent NHLer right now.

He needs to work on balancing defense with offense because right now he's focusing too much on defense probably because he was scared of getting demoted.

It will be interesting to see how he will do on the wolves these next few weeks, hopefully some positive results but I feel like even if he lights up the AHL there's not much room on the Canucks for him to move up.

#49 Ginu

Ginu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

Shroeder is not doing much offensively and clearly needs more time to develop, hence why he was sent down for more top minutes... I expect him to make a comeback once Ebett gets cold again...

Something like this might actually help Kassian as well ,although I don't know if he can be sent down without clearing waivers.
Posted Image

#50 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,822 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

Just another reason why AV has made me lose 100% interest in this team this year. I like exciting hockey. I like the team to win (which it did at the beginning of the year). I like to watch young players who I have been excited about in development get on the team and show what they can do. I like to watch even when the team loses, but they are still playing exciting hockey.

The decisions this coach has made are baffling.

It's the exact same thing we did last year. We were in 1st place, playing exciting hockey with Cody being very productive and contributing. Then AV decides to change direction with the team and focus 100% on defensive hockey (yawn).

This year? We have a great start and win a pile of games. Then switch the team around and when the opportunity arises to GO BACK to that winning roster, he decides to go even more amateurish and defensive.

YAWN.

Yup I agree.

Hopefully JS has learned a lot with his time with the big club and starts to break out offensively in the AHL.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#51 Bring_Back_Bertuzzi

Bring_Back_Bertuzzi

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

its the hodgson trade all over again

luo_sig_with_words.jpg

#52 Bring_Back_Bertuzzi

Bring_Back_Bertuzzi

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

the canucks have will turn into the flames if they trade anymore prospects

luo_sig_with_words.jpg

#53 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

It is pertinent imo to use him as trade bait for a skilled depth D or C for playoff run I advocate Gillis to pull the trigger! How many times has Shroeder been sent up and down up and down? Come playoffs I do not think Jordan will be a factor especially because of the increased physicality. He is small and doesn't look like an everyday NHLer. Playing on the 4th line isn't helping his cause to becoming a point producer. He's been given PP time and lots of games to showcase his talents. Drafted in 2010 he still has struggled mightily to maintain a NHL roster spot.

I think Jordan Shroeder's tenure as a Canuck is all but done. If he goes to a team like the Isles he may find an offensive spark.

Shroeder & Ballard for Visnovsky, Reasoner & 3rd 2013 might be worth looking considering

That is terrible.

the kid's career potential, ironically, is basically being an andrew ebbett.

jordan schroeder's value was at its peak the day he was drafted, when he fell from a top 10 pick to wherever the canucks got him in the 20s. if teams didn't want him then, they definitely don't want him now after 4 years of proving them right.

at most he would get a 4th rounder in return.

It's apparent to me that you don't know much about him and what makes/will make him successful other than blowing things out of proportion because of size and his last stretch of games.

zackass.png

#54 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

Considering we are talking about Jordan Schroeder, does anyone else find it depressing that he is one of our best prospects?

Does anyone find it depressing that Chris Kreider is one of the Rangers best prospects?
Or that Ryan Ellis is one of Nashvilles best prospects?
Or that John Moore is one of the Jackets best prospects?
Or that Cody Hodgson was one of our best prospects in 2010/11?

What I find depressing is that people criticize and want to trade away prospects because they take more than a year to develop, then they later whine about trading away prospects and blame management.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 13 March 2013 - 04:56 PM.

zackass.png

#55 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

I wonder what the Canucks reasoning for not selecting Brendan Gallagher was since he was a star player on the Vancouver Giants. I know we're talking different draft years here but he went all the way in the 5th round and he's playing an important role for Montreal in his rookie year.

He's similar in size (5'9 163lbs) compared to Schroeder (5'8 175lbs) but Gallagher has a much higher battle level and will get into the dirty areas. I wonder if a player can change up their style of play this drastically at this stage of their career.

I wonder what the 29 other teams reasoning were for not taking Gallagher before the 147th pick either?

zackass.png

#56 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

No,I thought it was very exciting that Cody Hodgson was one of our top prospects.
Too bad Gillis can't get along with others.

#57 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

No,I thought it was very exciting that Cody Hodgson was one of our top prospects.
Too bad Gillis can't get along with others of his own profession.
What I find depressing is the fan boys elevate a raw rookie up into the pedestal of hockey onloy to come crashing down to the reality of life.
Then the CDC fan boy pumpers start blaming others once their brief and passionate love affair has ended.

#58 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

He may still play more games this year, but even if he doesn't who knows what the team will look like next season. I guess it's possible he will be traded, but if not there's no reason to give up on him yet.

#59 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,822 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

He's starting to make me dislike him more then AV.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#60 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

What I find depressing is the fan boys elevate a raw rookie up into the pedestal of hockey onloy to come crashing down to the reality of life.
Then the CDC fan boy pumpers start blaming others once their brief and passionate love affair has ended.

Same, just as I do now with Schroeder, the point was Cody was nothing special back then when he first stepped in, worse than Schroeder is now, and look at him now with more development under his belt.

although to no ones surprise, the exact same thing was happening with Cody back then. :lol:

I also agree on the 2nd part, I don't like how people just come crashing down on the guy when he isn't 100% consistent, prospects aren't going to be, thats why they are prospects and not NHLers.

zackass.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.