The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver + Montreal/Dallas/Florida Deadline Moves

Vancouver: Travis Moen, Yannick Weber

Montreal: Andrew Alberts, Tom Sestito, 4th Round Pick

Montreal wants a physical crease clearing d-man, and size in their bottom 6.

Vancouver gets a physical, defensively strong 4th liner anda bottom pairing dman (who plays both sides)

Vancouver: Derek Roy, Brendan Morrow

Dallas: Jordan Schroeder, Keith Ballard, Conditional Pick (Roy re-signing)

Top-6 playmaker, give him a Garrison type contract in the offseason. Gives Van a gritty2nd/3rd line tweener. (or 5x5, something in that range)

Vancouver: Mike Weaver, Marcel Goc

Florida: Mason Raymond, 2nd, conditional 3rd (Raymond re-signs).

Lineup:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Morrow Kesler Roy

Higgins Goc Hansen

Moen Lapierre Weise/Pinnizzotto

/Booth on IR

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Tanev

Garrison Weaver

/Weber, Barker

I like those deals.

Morrow has always been a favorite of mine - I think he's exactly the type of presence this team could use.

Roy and Morrow are both UFAs, so some risk in moving Schroeder, but you've got Goc in another deal - one of the guys I'd most lke to see us go after.

Weaver is pint sized, but a good shutdown defender nevertheless, and played a lot with Garrison in JG's rookie season.

I also like the addition of the R handed Weber.

We take on some extra cap in the Dallas deal, but moving Ballard and adding a couple UFAs give some cap flexibility.

The one thing I'd do is substitute Luongo for Raymond - and take Goc, Upshall, Petrovic instead - if we're really intent upon Weaver, add a mid level pick to get him included.

Alternative guys I'd love to see acquired - Chris Neil, Couturier.

The Habs don't seem as deep on at LW as elsewhere - would love to pry Lars Eller out of there.

While I could see Montreal moving Moen for the right deal I don't think this is it. Even if there was enough value to intrigue Montreal I doubt they`d move Moen until Prust returns from his seperated shoulder.

Alberts is big but doen't bring much else to the party. If they were that concerned about having a big defenceman in the lineup they could just keep Tinordi up with the big club. He didn't look out of place at all on Saturday vs the Devils and assisted on the game winning goal. Sestito has next to no trade value.

He was a waiver pick-up and certainly is not a proper replacement for Moen.

I`m sure Montreal would probably move Weber for a 4th round pick, but he got hurt last week and could be out for a bit. All in all it`s a no go from Montreal`s perspective

While I could see Montreal moving Moen for the right deal I don't think this is it. Even if there was enough value to intrigue Montreal I doubt they`d move Moen until Prust returns from his seperated shoulder.

Alberts is big but doen't bring much else to the party. If they were that concerned about having a big defenceman in the lineup they could just keep Tinordi up with the big club. He didn't look out of place at all on Saturday vs the Devils and assisted on the game winning goal. Sestito has next to no trade value.

He was a waiver pick-up and certainly is not a proper replacement for Moen.

I`m sure Montreal would probably move Weber for a 4th round pick, but he got hurt last week and could be out for a bit. All in all it`s a no go from Montreal`s perspective

I think Montreal fans are open to letting Moen walk at this point. Between Prust and White, they have 4th line grit covered (and they are younger). Yannick Weber has supposedly been on the trade block forever (and Sestito is really just a contract/warm body going to MTL).

Moen could be another Sammy Pahlsson. I know he wasn't super popular, but paying a low price for a guy who can play a character role on a team. Strong defensive game for a 4th liner, big at 220 lbs, and a warrior. Would be a solid upgrade on Sestito/Pinnizzotto. Cup experience as well.

I basically see it as Alberts for Weber, and 4th for Moen.

1st off, I am a Montreal fan and yes, I'd be ok with him being traded,(once Prust is healthy and back in the line-up) but not for a 4th round pick (if thats how you see it). Ignore for a moment that Bergevin JUST re-signed Moen to a 4 year contract with a modified no-trade clause. If he Montreal did decide to shop him im fairly certain they would get a much better return than a 4th round pick and a waiver pickup.

Montreal has fantastic depth when it comes to defence. Weber is already the odd man out. He has only suited up for 2 games for Montreal this year before he got hurt last week. A Weber/Alberts swap doesn't do anything for Montreal at all. Alberts won't displace aqnyone currently playing in the top 6 and Montreal has 3 excellent defensive prospects in Tinordi, Beaulieu and Ellis. Not to mention Pateryn who suited up for a few games last week. so theres no value to Montreal there.

The only potential deal I see herre remains Weber (once healthy) for a 4th round pick. Vancouver picks up a depth right handed shot Defenceman and gains a little cap space ($850k) and a mid level draft pick

Archived