The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks to buy Peoria Rivermen and move AHL team to Abbotsford

Squeak

The Flames don't have a killer deal with the city. People need to understand how it actually works. The people with the killer deal with the city are the owners of the Heat, which is a group of local investors. The only benefit the Flames get is close proximity to Calgary.

The city is covering losses to the local Abbotsford investors who actually own the franchise.

I know there is a local management group, but if they actually own the team, what incentive do they have to move the team to Utica? Especially when their losses are covered by the city during the 10 year agreement?

I have lived in Abbotsford for 16 years now, I can pretty say with certainty that if this happens that building will packed every night. I go to UFV which shares a parking lot with the arena, and Ive never been to a heat game. Abbotsford is a Canucks Market no body wants to see the the flames farm team. Everyone I know was like WTF when they moved here, "we build an arena and get Calgary farm team...-_-"

Fingers crossed this could be really cool.

Funny how Vancouver can be a good franchise in Chicago and Montreal can be a good franchise in Hamilton. I'd rather have the Calgary Flames prospects here than Columbus, Islanders, Carolina etc. etc. I couldn't care less about those other teams prospects but I love to hate the Flames.

I agree with Trevor a few posts above me. I have been to games not involving the Wolves, and there's approximately 1,600 fans. I've also been to games involving the wolves, and there was quite honestly not an empty seat in the house. Now I'm not suggesting that the arena would be sold out for every single game, since things happen and people sometimes can't afford to go to every game, but I would say that sellouts would be the norm if the Canucks farm team moved here. People want hockey, they just don't want Calgary hockey. Man, I feel bad for the heat when Chicago comes to town. Heat are the definitely the "away" team on those nights.

Anyhow, business wise, it's a good move for everyone involved. And as a citizen of Abbotsford that pays taxes, I'd much rather have my tax money going somewhere BESIDES into the pockets of local investors that are guaranteed my money because their team sucks.

The Moose and the Canucks had a great relationship, which seemed to center more around helping us develop our players. Heisinger was a great GM that helped us find talent all the time including Burrows and Rypien.

Chicago doesn't seem to have that same relationship. They're primary goal is to win, not develop other teams prospects. They will always play AHL vets over prospects trying to learn the pro game. That is not a good situation for development.

This team is much better off having complete control over which of our prospects get playing time. And which coaches and GMs are in place running the show.

Oh man, I'm hoping this happens. It would be great if we could have our farm team close to home.

As for the travel the team would have, it's not as if there would be much of a difference as any prospects who make the bigs will have to get used to that anyways.

Abbotsford is a tough franchise to run. As I understand they have to cover the cost of the teams that have to fly to the Westcoast. So it's an expensive way to run a farm team. I guess they're counting on sell outs to cover it. And I'm thinking if the Canucks loose popularity in the next couple of years...so to with the Abbotsford team

If the Aquilinis are indeed looking to move their farm team to the Fraser Valley, then Chilliwack might also be considered an option. The Abbotsford building seats 7000 for hockey and there isn't a bad seat in the house. Prospera Centre in Chilliwack has a big advantage over Abbotsford, and that is parking. Seriously, have you ever tried to get in and out of the pitiful parking in Abbotsford? The Aquilinis already are invested in the Falls Golf course out in Chilliwack, so they know the area and the market. It might be better to sell out 5000 every night and create a buzz than play in Abbotsford where the crowds have been poor. And for those wondering, it would add about twenty minutes each way if you are coming out from Metro Vancouver.

We could basically have an all-prospects team, but we'd likely bring in a few vets still to help out.

I still don't like the idea of the Millionaires for any team but a Vancouver team. They could try and stretch it to call them the Vancouver (area) Millionaires, but that's not quite right. My preference is for the Abbotsford Airmen (Aviators as a second choice) with the pilot version of the Johnny Canuck:

new_canucksjersey_potential.jpg

As an Abbotsford Resident I would say the Heat are moving more due to pressure from the Abbotsford City Council. When the Heat were approved we had a progressive Mayor that was shaking things up. The council had him removed by opposing him on a controversial issue and are now trying to stabilize things (in there perspective). That would include putting pressure on the Heat to move because they are costing the city so much money.

Enter the Canucks. A year ago the Aquillini's had a meeting with the Abby City Council which was closed doors. It was only assumed that they would be making a bid to buy the Heat Franchise and move the Canucks farm here. With them comes new resources including the alleviation of the Cities responsibility to pay for travel (my speculation). However, from a source at the Heat I have heard that the Canucks wanted to buy the Abbotsford Sports and Entertainment Complex along with the Heat's Franchise rights. Abbotsford at last word has refused this (not sure why).

Clearing up some things: The Heat Franchise is owned by a local business man and I am assume like any business man he would sell at the right price. Two the players on the Heat are owned by the Calgary Flames, not the Heat.. a similar situation to the Wolves. If the Canucks were to move their farm to Abby they could buy the Franchise (which is under contract with Abbotsford - not calgary) and force calgary to find another home (NY). Clear as mud.

Archived