The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time for a new coach?

Italia2006

i say, lets run this team according to the local boards..they have proven to be experts.

lets see if i've got this right.....

get new owners who are willing to spend money

fire gillis and hire back burke

fire AV and bring back keenen

keep burrows and hansen on the forward lines

tanev and bieksa on defense....trade everyone else

fire all scouts and trainers and stick boys

did i miss anyone?

i say keep gillis and let him run this team....complain all you want but admit that our hockey knowledge can't compare to gillis and company..gillis is trying to find the right pieces for this team....gillis knows that AV is the best coach for this team right now. i'm sure he can't be influenced by fans who think they know best....i know my hockey knowledge pales terribly to those running this team.

well i apologize for ending my post that way.

and to your point those players were under him in manitoba. but that also confirms arguments above how AV plays favorites. he'll go with ppl he knows.. rather than take a chance on someone else who's likely equally qualified to do the same job when one of his favorites are not working out.

its okay to go down with the ship with ppl you love. but when it comes down to winning and your favirotes don't produce a good coach should be able to operate out of his comfort zone and AV hasn't shown me (or others above) enough of that in the past or even now.

i say, lets run this team according to the local boards..they have proven to be experts.

did i miss anyone?

i say keep gillis and let him run this team....complain all you want but admit that our hockey knowledge can't compare to gillis and company..gillis is trying to find the right pieces for this team....gillis knows that AV is the best coach for this team right now. i'm sure he can't be influenced by fans who think they know best....i know my hockey knowledge pales terribly to those running this team.

did i miss anyone?

And who decides who's "equally qualified"?

Vigneault has a team of coaches, scouts and player personnel people like Dave Gagne, Lorne Henning and Stan Smyl, etc. at his disposal to help him make these decisions. Do you guys honestly believe that he doesn't use them?

i certainly do. and that's an opinion based on years and years of seeing him coach and fail.

And we don't know how well he listens to his team of 'experts.' he has many scouts/assistant coaches advising him but its his decision at the end of the day that shows up as results on the ice.

I have nothing personal against AV. I think that his style of coaching works extremely well when everyone's healthy and when top players play like top players. but when that's not the case, AV gets out coached because he becomes predictable and cannot adopt.

Please.

The Sedins are creditted to Crow, they were 1st line players before AV had anything to do with them.

Schneider developed into the best goalie in the AHL, but not with AV. I don't see how that can be credited to him either.

And if anything he stalled Cody's development.

The rest of the list you could make reasonable cases for, although the thing that strikes me, is they are all great defensive guys, goes along with his system, that's why they worked, Kesler was a defensive center early on, Hansen was a defensive/grinding forward, Raymond was playing a secondary role early on, while being relied on for the PK. Ditto to Burrows. Edler and Bieksa are both good defensively.

Although with guys like Cody, and even perhaps we are seeing it with Kassian. He can't develop the offensive side and teach them defense, he just parks them on the end of the bench. We saw it with Shirokov too.

He has been alright at developing players, but I will take Crow over him as a developmental coach.

It's like MG is the only GM in the league who hasn't been able to consistently make impact deals that make sense........ :sadno:

so your saying that they don't and the inmates should run the asylum?....i said complain all you want but don't set yourselves up to claim to know more than these people...people here are way to fickle for my liking...we are all concerned but some of us are willing to see what gillis can accomplish...it's not rocket science.

"You certainly do" what? Decide who's qualified, or believe AV doesn't use his staff?

Personally, I believe most coaches struggle when they have injuries and/or their top players don't perform like their top players.

The simple answer is yes.

The Realistic answer MG wont fire him and will burn another year with this team. Once Lindy Ruff is hired which could be anytime now, then ya your next best option is this John Cooper AHL coach i suppose. But id prefer a proven NHL coach like Ruff.

They havent changed the PP and we cant score. Before Booths injury why not try him on the PP. Why is Hamhuis on the 1st unit over Garrison? I would have Bieksa on the point aswell as he can get the puck on net, chances for tips and rebounds are how alot of goals can get scored on PP.

They looked unethused to play last night against a detroit team who played friday, definitely looks like our team doesnt want to play 100% for close to a full game.

Never said anything about the inmates running the asylum. But the "they know more about hockey than us" take is weak. I'd say all the Canuck coaches and GM's over the years have had more hockey knowledge than someone like Tony Gallagher, but that never stopped him from calling for their heads when the time has come.

You dont have to had played in the NHL to know hockey.

imo, AV is the right coach for this team right now....i like the way that he plays the guys, he believes he has the best chance to win with...i don't don't know why he does everything he does but imo, he has that right..as long as gillis is happy with AV, i shall be to....i'm sorry if my opinions differ from yours...shoot me at sunrise....not everyone wants AV gone...

imo, AV is the right coach for this team right now....i like the way that he plays the guys, he believes he has the best chance to win with...i don't don't know why he does everything he does but imo, he has that right..as long as gillis is happy with AV, i shall be to....i'm sorry if my opinions differ from yours...shoot me at sunrise....not everyone wants AV gone...

did i miss anyone?

Archived