The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Coyotes vs Canucks

The Magician

So, if you are willing to cut Henrik some slack on this point, are you willing to do the same for the rest of the team? If it was Hansen would it be okay? If it was Edler would it still be okay? How about Sestito? He's not a beer league player.

Yes, it is a minor point, and the team did win. It could have ended a lot worse. And I believe Henrik of a couple of years ago wouldn't have made that play.

regards,

G.

Like Shorty said when they put 2 seconds on the clock for a pointless face-off "what this game needs is more time."

It wasn't pretty at times, eventhough I thought the Canucks won more puck battles along the boards and were first to pucks more times than I've seen in a while now. For the lineup I thought we played a good road game (eventhough Jobbing is like Rogers Arena 'B'), and survived a couple gaffes at the end.

I was happier about the game than Dan Hammuis looked at the end. Did anyone else see that? He looked like he wasn't sure if he left the stove on at home.

I've always been a stats guy, and I'm not sure where I would find this sort of information, but how many failed empty netters leading to icings have actually led to a goal for the trailing team? I'm going to take a wild guess and say maybe (and this is being generous) 1 out of 10 times. so 10% of missed empty nets have led to goals for the trailing team. I like the odds personally, and the possibility of getting the dagger goal is well worth the 10% risk. Fact is, risky hockey plays are made numerous times, and there are FAR more stupid risky plays made in a game. Funny how you dwell on the Sedin icing, but the countless defensive turnovers we see by our defense on a nightly basis which probably lead to a 30% chance of a goal against don't bother you at all.

"teammates don't appreciate it. You want a shot at the empty goal? You make it to the red-line, then take your shot."

Wouldn't Henrik of took the goal or not protect it since Rome shot it behind the goalline? And why would everyone celebrate with Rome if they didn't appreciate it? Guess another "mind reader and false statementer" CDCer strikes again

IMO it isn't a minor point. 2 - 1 game with a minute left and one of your most experienced players makes a very poor play. Van's FO % is less than 50% and their d-zone coverage was brutal all night. Unbelievable actually. At the 3:00 minute mark I believe it was Raymond on the left side who made a inside move inside the blueline on a breakout and the Yote d-man stripped the puck. Like in Hank's case a chip out on the boards was the safe play.

I keep sayin this team does not have a 'shutdown' game and last night was a glaring example. Wide open down the middle for a great Scneider save, Hamhuis & Bieksa, where? They won the game but the last half of the third was one mistake after another. When your vets don't seem to understand what it takes, all I can suggest is coaching is not stressing the importance enough. Pretty fundamental actually.

I've always been a stats guy, and I'm not sure where I would find this sort of information, but how many failed empty netters leading to icings have actually led to a goal for the trailing team? I'm going to take a wild guess and say maybe (and this is being generous) 1 out of 10 times. so 10% of missed empty nets have led to goals for the trailing team. I like the odds personally, and the possibility of getting the dagger goal is well worth the 10% risk. Fact is, risky hockey plays are made numerous times, and there are FAR more stupid risky plays made in a game. Funny how you dwell on the Sedin icing, but the countless defensive turnovers we see by our defense on a nightly basis which probably lead to a 30% chance of a goal against don't bother you at all.

I agree with you. I was looking to defuse the situation as there was a lot of people on here arguing with their hearts and not their heads.

Unless there is no chance of there being a faceoff in your zone, with any amount of time on the clock, then shooting for the net is not a good choice.

regards,

G.

Wouldn't it be funny if Ballard becomes the winger we wanted in Booth? lol

He's got tremendous wheels and acceleration (booth is slow out of the gates but fast once he's moving) ballard is one step full flight, one of the best skaters on the team

We know he has hands, he can hit, not scared to mix it up...hmm.

I would like to see more of him there...didn't see the game yesterday but seems like everyone is commending his play...heck try him with hank and daniel

I though Ballard played like exactly what he is... A mediocre defenceman filling in at forward.

Would rather have Booth healthy or give Jensen a look-see.

Edit: Oh, yeah... Was that not the weirdest, worst-played game you have seen in a long time?

Archived