The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler hit on Smith - suspendable?

stonecoldstevebernier

I'll say 2 games, he does bring up his forearm, the argument can be made that he was bracing himself for the collision, not a hit. But Smith was obviously injured earlier in the game, so it's worth the league looking at the hit. I don't know if it warrents a suspension, but if it was Luongo Or Cory, I would want Shanny to look at it.

It will probably break down like this.. Edler was trying to play the puck but made no effort to stop. It resulted in an injury to smith. 2 games

They should take into account smith does this all the time but they won't. Watch the other one, can't remember who it is but it's not the shaw one, the one where its a knee to the back of the leg. Smith is hesitant and looks over and sees his player isn't going to get to the puck before the opposing player so me makes a last second dash for it knowing full well he's going to get run over.

Your not supposed to hit a goalie no matter what but he constantly puts himself in that position. To me it's like a defenseman playing the puck and then quickly turning his back on a guy coming in to hit him.

You can't make them fair game to hit because their equipment makes them defenseless but there has to be some onus on a goalie that plays the puck at Inopportune times and pretends he's been shot... IMO they should do it like a dman diving to poke the puck off a guys stick streaking in. As long as you guy the puck first before contact, it doesn't matter if you take his legs out. That would make it so mike smith can't go behind the net for 3 seconds whenever he feels like his team needs a 5 minute powerplay

Have to agree, Shanny will do for AV what AV should have done long ago, sit him for a few games.

That is the best hit I've seen Edler throw in a long time, big man plays the body like Kyle Wellwood now, if he would hit like we know he can he would be worth the $$$ MG is paying him.

Smith is notorious for doing stuff like this and in all honesty, where is Edler supposed to go?

I was just looking at the Lucic hit on Miller which did not warrant anything more than a 2 min and that was a blatant hit on the goalie and got no other disciplinary action. Also the time when Smith went after the puck colliding with Kane is very questionable

Lucic hit on Miller - questionable how this did not get any further disciplinary action...

Smith steps up in front of Kane:

I don't know if a phone hearing is a must due to it being a 5 minute penalty ?

There is no way this is a suspension and the charging call at the time was ballsy by the official. Maybe a fine at most ?....this is similiar to many goaltender interference situations where nothing but a goaltender interference call was made, so not sure why this is being looked into further other than the ref's call of a 5 minute charging penalty.

Guest Pinchin

I am so freaking impressed with Edler. I will accept Shanny's punishment, it doesn;t really matter to me what happens at this point. All I care about is Hank was leveled, Daniel's face was smashed into the post and the outcome is Edler SMASHES the goalie, YESSSS!!!! It sends a needed message around the league, mess with our best players and there is repercussions.

I don't have much faith in Shanny and the NHL at this point. Less consistency than the refs. Rick Nash, as of this posting, has yet to be called to task for his elbow/head shot on Kopecky last night.

IMO Edler was trying to squeeze by Smith along the boards and follow the puck but wasn't really going to avoid contact. 5-min major was penalty enough.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UObosPe7i9Y

That argument holds no weight, Lucic should have been suspended for multiple games, he got off because the league had a Boston bias for the last couple years. Edler manned up and responded to a team that was taking liberties with our best players, he can handle whatever punishment Shanny dishes out.

Archived