80 replies to this topic

#31 Off_The_Schneid!

Off_The_Schneid!

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

He doesn't do anything out there taking a lot of face offs isn't an attribute. He's terrible defensively with no goals and last I checked 4th line is it least supposed to hit. Dump and chase dump and chase, just wastes time off the clock

#32 Off_The_Schneid!

Off_The_Schneid!

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

I realise he has two goals but come on, far better people out there suited for his position

#33 CanYouNuck?

CanYouNuck?

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

Ofcourse taking faceoffs isnt an attribute, i never said it was. I said hes great on the faceoff which means he has a great FO percentage. Hitting players isnt the most effective way to play the 4th line, I'd rather him be more defensively responsible and im pretty sure AV feels the same. Hitting takes you out of the play and requires more energy. And no, hitting doesnt fill up the momentum bar like on video games so stop putting so much emphasis on hitting

#34 hockeyaddict123

hockeyaddict123

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

He doesn't do anything out there taking a lot of face offs isn't an attribute. He's terrible defensively with no goals and last I checked 4th line is it least supposed to hit. Dump and chase dump and chase, just wastes time off the clock

Taking faceoffs is an attribute, and something the Canucks really need this year with all the injuries. At his salary of 1mil a year he does what he needs to in the regular season, and then shows everyone his true potential in the playoffs.

#35 honey badger36

honey badger36

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

Your out of your depth here..... Or is lappy out of his? Anyway He's supposed to be a 4th liner he's being pay'd like one and at that he's a pretty good 4th liner. Hasn't been stellar when asked to play more minutes but he put on about a bajillion lbs of pure muscleish stuff in the offseason

#36 darnucks

darnucks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

Am I living in the twilight zone or something? Didn't I see a thread almost identical to this one a few days ago?

And yes I agree Lappy isn't playing his best right now, I hope he can step it back up once playoffs come around. He needs to play his best o/w this team isn't getting past the first round. 3rd and 4th liners can make or break a team come playoffs.

#37 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

You don't just put on 40 pounds of useful weight (i.e. muscle) in 2 years. 20 is hard enough to do. Any more and he'd likely limit his mobility and effectiveness in other areas. But sure, I guess another 20 pounds would keep him from 'hugging' people instead of hitting.

:picard:

Alrighty I guess someone forgot to take their smart pill this morning.

If you are going to keep quoting me and telling me I am wrong, I guess I have no choice but to expose you for your complete lack of knowledge about what you are talking about.

Lapierre put on only 15 LBS

Lapierre lost ALL 15 LBS thanks to a nutritionist.

So he is currently weighing 192 lbs and he is 6'2 and you are saying if he puts on 20 lbs he will be a less effective 4th line center?

Since you don't know anything, lets through in a hypothetical. Say he currently weighed 207 lbs as our top hitter and he put on 20 lbs he would be 6'2 and 227. That sounds more like what a 4th line center should be at for physical play.

Back to reality if Lapierre put on 20 LBS he would be 212 LBS at 6'2 which is hardly too much to ask for our top physical player to do?

Please as a courtesy to me, if you want to say I am wrong, at least have a tiny idea of what your talking about and not just spewing absolute BS.

Stick with being a mini mod and telling people their threads are redundant.

Oh here are some articles that you should have read before talking out of your behind:

http://blogs.theprov...g-groin-strain/

"Maxim Lapierre added 15 pounds and then dropped the weight and even used a Cirque du Soleil nutritionist."

#38 Truckin

Truckin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

He seems to be lost and floating a lot of the time lately and its gotten to the point where I dont think resigning him should be in the cards. For all the talk about him being awesome in the playoffs,I seem to recall his chirping costing us as well when everything went off the rails.
Either way he needs to focus and hit,since most of the team lacks in that area.

#39 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

So the team is on a streak, garrison and Schroeder is playing well..... So the village idiots have no one to pick on now?

Can't you guys stfu and just support the team instead of picking a random member of the team to crap on EVERY TWO ???? DAYS

#40 Truckin

Truckin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

So the team is on a streak, garrison and Schroeder is playing well..... So the village idiots have no one to pick on now?

Can't you guys stfu and just support the team instead of picking a random member of the team to crap on EVERY TWO ???? DAYS

This is a forum where people discuss issues and people like you bust aneurysms thinking you can actually sway things.
My suggestion for you would be to take a walk and go look as to why getting hot on a forum is counter productive to your health and shows you lack self control. If you want I will find the link?

Edited by Truckin, 25 March 2013 - 01:50 PM.

#41 Truckin

Truckin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

Heres the link for you:

http://news.mensheal...ess/2013/03/19/

:bigblush:

#42 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

He's a fourth-line center playing third-line center, and not a minimal third-line center. Injuries have forced him into a role that's beyond his abilities and he's struggling to keep up, trying to be a player that he's not. These are the things that happen when you have so many holes in the lineup, some guys need to fill a role that they aren't really suited to. Lapierre is playing the tough minutes and tough situations, you see that he is struggling but what you don't see are the guys who are doing better because Lapierre is taking that load off of them.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#43 Off_The_Schneid!

Off_The_Schneid!

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:13 PM

Is anyone actually watching him play? Feel free to next game

#44 Off_The_Schneid!

Off_The_Schneid!

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:13 PM

#45 406281dylan

406281dylan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

I 100% disagree with this post, first of all he put on weight this off season and never had any time to get used to it so he lost it, second of all If any of u guys were hockey players and got moved around as much as he has in the lineup you would also struggle to produce offensively and may I mention that I dont think Sestito and Gordan are really helping the cause. He has been a beast in the faceoff circle and in the d zone. The reason he is not playing physical or fighting or yapping is because it is a short season and he wants to save his energy for the playoffs. Just wait this is not the first time he has done this during the regular season in his career, during contract year he is always dominant in playoffs, just wait and see.... I love Lapierre and I dont beleive their is a better 4th liner in the NHL then him, plus his 6 points are not that bad...... If i was the Lappy haters who dislike him I would start to like him because once playoffs start u will see why he is a canuck and why he will be inked to a nice extension this off season.
Can't wait to see yappy lappy back once playoffs start!!!

#46 Truckin

Truckin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

Just you,how was it? :bigblush:

#47 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

Alrighty I guess someone forgot to take their smart pill this morning.

If you are going to keep quoting me and telling me I am wrong, I guess I have no choice but to expose you for your complete lack of knowledge about what you are talking about.

Lapierre put on only 15 LBS

Lapierre lost ALL 15 LBS thanks to a nutritionist.

So he is currently weighing 192 lbs and he is 6'2 and you are saying if he puts on 20 lbs he will be a less effective 4th line center?

Since you don't know anything, lets through in a hypothetical. Say he currently weighed 207 lbs as our top hitter and he put on 20 lbs he would be 6'2 and 227. That sounds more like what a 4th line center should be at for physical play.

Back to reality if Lapierre put on 20 LBS he would be 212 LBS at 6'2 which is hardly too much to ask for our top physical player to do?

Please as a courtesy to me, if you want to say I am wrong, at least have a tiny idea of what your talking about and not just spewing absolute BS.

Stick with being a mini mod and telling people their threads are redundant.

Oh here are some articles that you should have read before talking out of your behind:

http://blogs.theprov...g-groin-strain/

"Maxim Lapierre added 15 pounds and then dropped the weight and even used a Cirque du Soleil nutritionist."

Well, there's one article. I have my own.

Here's the original tweet that started it all (from the CDC thread about it):

Renaud Lavoie @RenLavoieRDS
From my blog: #canucks Maxim Lapierre gained 20 pounds of muscle during the lockout. He'll be way more stronger on the ice.

And from the blog he references (translated from French):

The first thing you notice crossing Maxim Lapierre is that it is really tough. Not that he was not before, but it took lockout to make 20 pounds of muscle. Yes 20 pounds!
In fact, it took 28 pounds at one point, but decided to lose 8 because they had trouble handling the puck well. Now his weight is 220 pounds and it feels very strong on the ice.

Why did you decide to take as much weight? I met him in the locker Canucks and his answer is interesting. "I thought I could squeeze my opponents easily. But now it is no longer the case and the big difference will be when I'll cut to the net. "

Obviously, it has been able to gain as much weight, it is thanks to lockout. In a normal season, the players have only three months in the summer to build muscle mass. "I hired a nutritionist, because it is not really my training that I've changed, but my nutrition. I had to eat more protein. When I say more, it's really much more. At such a point to be honest, it is not the training that I found difficult, but eat."

So, to my point, he's put on 20 pounds of muscle (or 15 depending on which source you go by) and it would be very difficult to put on 20 more if his body type doesn't support it. His height isn't as relative a factor as if he can put on the muscle while still maintaining the speed and flexibility he needs to be a successful bottom 6 centerman. Doing so during an NHL season or a short offseason of a few months is also difficult to achieve and maintain.

Note as well Lapierre himself said he had more trouble handling the puck so he even scaled back a bit from the weight he gained. It was also difficult to eat enough to support the increased muscle gain he did have, rather than it being an issue with training.

I'll say again, I'm not sure how he could put on more weight again this offseason on top of what he did in the last offseason and lockout while still being effective, and how it would change his hitting style from hugs (you described them that way) to hard hits.

What was that about "complete lack of knowledge", "spewing absolute BS" and "talking out of your behind"?

Edited by elvis15, 25 March 2013 - 02:35 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#48 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

So nice it was worth saying twice.

#49 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

Well, there's one article. I have my own.

Here's the original tweet that started it all (from the CDC thread about it):

And from the blog he references (translated from French):

So, to my point, he's put on 20 pounds of muscle (or 15 depending on which source you go by) and it would be very difficult to put on 20 more if his body type doesn't support it. His height isn't as relative a factor as if he can put on the muscle while still maintaining the speed and flexibility he needs to be a successful bottom 6 centerman. Doing so during an NHL season or a short offseason of a few months is also difficult to achieve and maintain.

Note as well Lapierre himself said he had more trouble handling the puck so he even scaled back a bit from the weight he gained. It was also difficult to eat enough to support the increased muscle gain he did have, rather than it being an issue with training.

I'll say again, I'm not sure how he could put on more weight again this offseason on top of what he did in the last offseason and lockout while still being effective, and how it would change his hitting style from hugs (you described them that way) to hard hits.

What was that about "complete lack of knowledge", "spewing absolute BS" and "talking out of your behind"?

LOL I love how you picked the only artice that says he gained 20 lbs. Every other google article says 15, and not only that but you picked the only article that everyone questions the authenticity of.

Congratulations you picked an article that is less credible then Hockeyyinsiderr to back you up.

Either your trollin or your a moron, either way talking with you about hockey is like arguing with a 3 year old.

#50 wshdrvvn

wshdrvvn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

schroeders line is better offensively, he leads a pair of plugs getting fourth line minutes. has performed well in his special teams assignments. he's only invisible to a fan that doesn't know what to look for out of him. once guys come back and the trickle down happens, giving him new linemates, i'm sure he will stand out to you more.

#51 Clinch16

Clinch16

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

LOL I love how you picked the only artice that says he gained 20 lbs. Every other google article says 15, and not only that but you picked the only article that everyone questions the authenticity of.

Congratulations you picked an article that is less credible then Hockeyyinsiderr to back you up.

Either your trollin or your a moron, either way talking with you about hockey is like arguing with a 3 year old.

Speaking of 3 year olds. This thread had barely a shred of credibility until you dumped your juvenile load here. Back to class with you. Your mom should pull your internet until you can grow up a bit.
Posted Image

#52 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

And equally nice how you ignore the actual argument I'm making about how trying to add even more weight is not only difficult to do, but could be a detriment to his game and not change anything to do with his hitting style. Instead, you've chosen only to focus on 5 pounds difference between our sources.

Don't forget what your original post I responded to was about:

You know if Lappy put on a few pounds he could be alot more effective. He has the most hits on our team, but most of them are closer to hugs then hits.

I'm equally happy not to discuss it with you any more if you aren't willing to at least debate the actual point.

Edited by elvis15, 25 March 2013 - 03:14 PM.

#53 Industrious1

Industrious1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

If there is some sort of groin injury involved I don't envy him trying to play through it, they can be a very tricky thing. He is one of the few Canucks that has an actual 'edge' to his game and can draw alot of ire from the opposition making him a target for frequent...and hard hits. Throw a groin issue into the mix and Lappy could be working through alot of pain.

#54 ilduce39

ilduce39

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

It would be pretty rough if we didn't have him right now considering our woes at the C position. Lappy is at his best as a 4th liner but he's obviously taken a larger role with Manny and Kes out of commission...
T-Bone said:
remind them all of Tbone, remeber me for how I lived, not how I was banned
*sig too big

#55 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

This can't be overstated enough. He is one of our players that elevates his game in the playoffs. He feeds off the increase in competition and plays physical as well as being a pest and tough defensively. For what we pay him, and what we expect, he's actually quite good.

This, I also think he misses chirping a bit, he's involved in the games a lot more when he chirps and he plays better imo. I don't know why AV and Gillis need to make every player on this team a robot.

I talked to Wiliie Mitchell when he was at the star playing shinny hockey in the off season and even he said they weren't really aloud to celebrate goals and stuff too much when he played in Van.

What's the point in always trying to show respect to the opponents when we're the most hated team and it comes back to bite them in the ass all the time.

This team lacks emotion, which is another reason I want AV gone.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#56 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

Hes slower.

Apparently he put on 10 lbs of muscle in the offseason.

In all fairness he appears way slower and it likely wasn't a good move for him.

#57 Off_The_Schneid!

Off_The_Schneid!

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

Leafs just traded Steckel to the Ducks for basically nothing. Another big bodied Center that we could have used and battled Lapierre for a roster spot when the team was healthy. We could have even rested Lappy to heal his season long groin injury that everyone throws out there as an excuse for his inconsistent play

#58 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

Terrible post, what do you expect the guy to do? He battles hard defensively and does a good job on the pk. AV has given him responsibilities and I'm pretty sure scoring points is not on the top of the list. Great on the faceoff too, and for those who writeoff that stat should take a gander of the stats from the games we lost as of recent and our faceoff percentage. Sure he took a couple bad penalties but everyone does, but because he doesnt score points (which is not his main responsibility) you pick on the guy.

Kills me when ppl expect every player on the roster to "produce"

It sucks when we have a guy like lappy who does his job above and beyond and gets pissed on for having a couple not so stellar games.
He is one of my fav Canucks and it in not because of the point totals at the end of the year. I like him for the same reason i like burrows, hansen, And rypien (rip) give it your all, lay your heart on the line and leave it on the ice.
players that make this song relevant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7xOGxmzd6Q

Edited by surtur, 25 March 2013 - 10:10 PM.

Release The KraKassian
Kassianthe_Krakensm.jpg

#59 ~AngelBelle~

~AngelBelle~

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:33 AM

This can't be overstated enough. He is one of our players that elevates his game in the playoffs. He feeds off the increase in competition and plays physical as well as being a pest and tough defensively. For what we pay him, and what we expect, he's actually quite good.

Yeah. He, Cammalleri (sp?) and Halak were rly the biggest factors that took them to round 3 a couple years ago in MTRL. Honestly, besides the fact that he put on so much more weight this season and got a bit slower, im quite content with what we're getting from him with this AHL bottom 6 that gets changed everygame

#60 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:48 AM

He bulked up a ton over the summer (enough that people speculated about steroids) and I think that has affected his game. I agree though, reserve judgement until the playoffs.

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.