The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schneider starts tomorrow

I don't understand why people think this current roster has a chance to go deep in the playoffs? In the playoffs, they won't be playing non-playoff( majority of the Northwest Division) teams.

Upfront they have huge holes in centre. Without a trade I don't see how this team can stack up with other teams. You look at all the Stanley Cup winners and tell me did they have two #1 goaltenders? I would say their were very deep upfront. Unless you think Ebbet, Schroeder, and Lappiere makes the Canucks centre position deep.

I don't understand why people think this current roster has a chance to go deep in the playoffs? In the playoffs, they won't be playing non-playoff( majority of the Northwest Division) teams.

Upfront they have huge holes in centre. Without a trade I don't see how this team can stack up with other teams. You look at all the Stanley Cup winners and tell me did they have two #1 goaltenders? I would say their were very deep upfront. Unless you think Ebbet, Schroeder, and Lappiere makes the Canucks centre position deep.

Schneider had a bit of a slow start (maybe due to no real training camp/preseason?)...Either way, he has turned it around for long enough now that people should feel confident in him being the #1. The guy has been unreal over this win streak.

Luongo is my favourite goalie of all time. He single handedly turned this organization around and made them perennial contenders. When the Sedins were still trying to find their top player groove it was Luongo who carried this team. Whichever team he gets traded to will instantly become my (very very very distant) second favourite team. Lu still has many years of top 5-10 goaltending left in him. As much as I would love for him to be around for just 1 more cup run, what's best for this team right now is trading him either for some legit prospects (which we lack) or some scoring help which we need.

The year they signed him I said... not now.

If he had go to free agency he would have been the best goalie free agent in a decade ... bryz got 6+... easily 7-8 could have been had. That's y we had to front lload it.

Well we won't be getting anything in return for Luongo if we trade him, it will be a big waste won't help us out at all but lose some money on the cap, but most teams won't want it anyways. Trading Cory we will be able to get us something that will help us offensively and into the playoffs, and even for next year if we need it. This team doesn't have big prospects that are going to make a big impact for us since we got ride of most of them, so we will have this team of players for a good 4-5 more years, so we need to get a legit scorer now, and the only way we have a chance at doing that is trading Cory, yes it sucks, but that's really our only option if we want to go deep into playoffs.

Maybe the fact that one his contract, and teams don't want to take a gamble on it, plus with the salary cap going down next year. Also the fact Luongo isn't getting much playing time, so teams are not seeing how he is playing, you really think they will give away someone good for a goalie they aren't able to see play, that's a big risk. The return for Cory is much higher always has been plus his salary is lower, and the fact the Sedins aren't getting any younger our window isn't that big anymore our time is now not 5 years from now.

His contract is long, sure, but I don't think that the cap going down makes him any less valuable. His cap hit is only 5.3 million per season. That's not bad at all for a goalie who plays at an elite level when he is on his game. One of the other goalies on the marker, Ryan Miller, has a cap hit of 6.25. I don't think the contract will scare away a team if they decide that they really need goal-tending. That's just my opinion though, I could be completely wrong.

Cory Schneider does give us a chance to win, just look at how he has carried us lately. I think the faults at the start of the year were just nerves at the idea of needing to be "the guy". Now that he's had some time to get used to that thought, he's been fantastic. It's not as if he is a 20 year old goalie fresh out of junior who we are expecting to carry us all the way. He's 27 years old, and has had success at every level of hockey he's played in. We've developed him remarkably, something the Canucks organization is usually somewhat poor at doing.

I know Cory is a good goalie I am not denyting that one bit, and Luongo is an elite goalie himself. I know his cap hit is lower than other goalies and he's better then those other goalies, it's the fact that his contract goes until he is like 43, and that means a team will just have to buy him out in the end anyways. I don't think another team who knows how long his contract goes for and will have to pay him out is willing to take that on, and especially give up something and take on that contract, I just don't see us getting what we need and that is secondary scoring.

Cory and Luongo both give us chances to win, it's the secondary scoring that doesn't give us a chance to win that's our problem and that's what needs to be addressed. Yes Cory can help us win even in playoffs, but if we can't score then really having the best goalie doesn't really help us out either. We need to score and the only way we can land a real top scorer is from trading Cory, you won't be able to get that trading Luongo. Plus we need a coach who knows how to coach offense to get secondary scoring to happen, AV is a defensive coach and always will be, he can try and coach offence, but when he is a defensive style coach is not that easy to just change it and become an offensive style coach, it isn't going to happen. And a lot of people will argue last year about how offensively good we were, well I never thought we were that good 5-5, but we sure had a lot of success on the PP.

Archived