Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Where do our goalies rank in the league? Top ten?

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#61 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:11 PM

I know we are all Canucks fans here but Schneider barely has any playoff experience and everyone is choosing him to lead a team to the cup? (Yes, it has happened before but imo it would be safer to choose a goalie who has lots of playoff experience)

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#62 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,406 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:17 PM

I know we are all Canucks fans here but Schneider barely has any playoff experience and everyone is choosing him to lead a team to the cup? (Yes, it has happened before but imo it would be safer to choose a goalie who has lots of playoff experience)

How does one go about getting playoff experience?

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#63 dura_mater

dura_mater

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:07 AM

I am rollin with our boys ALL DAY!

Cory stats aside from game 1 and the edm game are INSANE 1.88 GAA !

Luongo's stats aside from the 2 Detroit games are pretty spectacular as well. I think you could do this for a lot of goalies.
"BoKnows53"
My stinky team isn't on top of the Standings anymore Waah waaahh, fire everyone because I say so

- New Era Canucks Fans

#64 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:55 AM

I think there's a group of like 15-20 goalies in the NHL that are fairly comparable in skill. Too many factors involved when picking the 'best' accurately... like do you count experience vs. who's playing well right now, how crappy the team they play on is, how many key games they steal, etc etc.

But I'm bored so (based on recent play/seasons):

Lundqvist
Rinne
Quick
Schneider
Smith
Price
Miller
Luongo
Niemi
Ward

The thing is, I think the bottom 5 spots could easily be arbitrarily changed, they're that close depending. All of those goaltenders usually put up respectable numbers and give their teams a chance to win every night. I also think there's some other names that are 'right there' and interchangeable a well.

#65 sgt. grumbles

sgt. grumbles

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:57 AM

I like that the OP has picked a backup goalie as the league's #1. That's cute.

#66 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:04 AM

Luongo's stats aside from the 2 Detroit games are pretty spectacular as well. I think you could do this for a lot of goalies.

Well ok then what are they?

#67 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

If you don't include Bobs in your list, you're objectively wrong

#68 freebass

freebass

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

Carey Price anyone?

1) Price
2) Lundqvist
3) Schneider
4) Fleury
5) Rinne
6) Rask
7) Quick
8) Bobrovsky
9) Luongo
10) Niemi

If Schneider keeps his current play up he will be a strong Vezina contender IMO

Carey Price is the most overrated Goalie in the league.

I never thought this forum would ever be any good but this whole penis thing is pretty awesome.

I said we lost to USA because of ARE GOALTENDING!!! do you know how to read?

#69 WeDreamOfStanley

WeDreamOfStanley

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

reimer
Scrivens
Schneider
Luongo

Top 4.

Bernier has out played quick though, don't rank him too high

Hahahahaha, Ya ok I can see them as the top 4... oh never mind, no I can't.

#70 EagleShield

EagleShield

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

Tim Thomas #1

#71 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

Good thing you were not coaching the Habs in 86 then.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#72 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

Lou only at #2? Show me another goalie on the list that has better career numbers then Lou? Ok brodeur possibly but he's washed up at this point and Lou is in his prime.

Cory at #6? He hasn't even played one season as a #1 goalie and he's in the top 10? The only reason he has better numbers this year... Well and last is that the team plays a much more defensive game with Cory in net and keep all the shots from the outside. With Lou they can gamble a little more because they know they have the best goalie in the game ready to save there butt.

Are u yanking my chain or being serious? I agree with u

If u want the cup this year there really isn't a better choice than lu or lund imo
WHATCHU GONNA DO WHEN MILLERMANIA RUNS WILDDDD ON YOU?!

#73 Patrick Kane

Patrick Kane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • 14,207 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

1. Lundqvist
2. Price
3. Rinne
4. Quick
5. Bobrovsky
6. Niemi
7. Schneider
8. Anderson
9. Rask
10. Ward

You will be missed.

#74 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

if u want to go by this season to see where goalies rank there is a pretty easy formula. take their GAA rank and S% rank add it together divide by 2 thats your number your looking for use wins as a tie breaker....1.Anderson 2. Lundqvist 3. Rask 4. Bob 5. Crawford 6.Bernier 7. Niemi 8 Schnieder 9 Emery 10 Fasth so thats how goalies rank this year alone. you can take past into consideration ect.. but based on pure stats thats how they lay out as of today. Luongo is somewhere around 20th-27th i didnt sort out the goalies past the first 10 but Luongo is 20th in GAA and 34th in S% wich gives you 27th with wins as a tie breaker who knows. when other sports rank players ie tennis and golf they dont use career stats .. just how they are playing in the present.. and thats how they shape up right now.

Edited by chrisbanks, 08 April 2013 - 10:53 AM.

#75 Sbriggs

Sbriggs

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

If you were drafting a team with the intention of winning the Stanley Cup this year (e.g. age, cap hit in the future, all that other stuff doesn't matter), who would be the top 10 sought after goalies?

My picks, in order, would be:

Brodeur
Rinne
Quick
Lundqvist
Ward
Fleury
Kiprusoff
Luongo
Niemi
Halak

Am I totally out to lunch or is this a reasonably fair assessment?

Apologies to Price and Miller but I don't know that I'd want them more than Niemi (who's won a cup) and Halak (who took Montreal on a wild ride a few years back by himself alone).

wrong wrong wrong

#76 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

Lou only at #2? Show me another goalie on the list that has better career numbers then Lou? Ok brodeur possibly but he's washed up at this point and Lou is in his prime.

Cory at #6? He hasn't even played one season as a #1 goalie and he's in the top 10? The only reason he has better numbers this year... Well and last is that the team plays a much more defensive game with Cory in net and keep all the shots from the outside. With Lou they can gamble a little more because they know they have the best goalie in the game ready to save there butt.

your kidding right? ..if luonog was the best in the game 1 he wouldnt be on the trade block, losing his starting job to a goalie who has just craked the top 10 .. and 2 his contract is fantastic if he was the best goalie and he wouldve been traded easily... his contract sucks becasue he is not worth it and thus still hasnt been traded. Luongo GAA 20th Save % 34th. (slow clap for Lu) he was even given mutiple chances to win the crease back this year and failed to do so.

#77 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,801 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

So, the team favors Cory and punishes Lou. Do you wear a tinfoil hat? Are aliens out to get you? Or are they out to get Lou?

#78 KraKassian

KraKassian

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

Why aren't you guys including Anderson?

1.53 GAA, .950SV%

Unreal.

Edited by KraKassian, 08 April 2013 - 02:07 PM.

#79 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

Rinne?? Really? The thing is that

Broduer Rinne and Quick havent been playing that good this season actually. The lost of Ryan Suter is really exposing him. Ward and Kippursoft too. They both are quite garbage. I knwo Luongo's value is down a little, but still.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#80 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

1.53 GAA, .950SV%

Unreal.

Probably because he's only played 16 games.

Edited by Dogbyte, 08 April 2013 - 02:29 PM.

There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#81 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

Are u yanking my chain or being serious? I agree with u

If u want the cup this year there really isn't a better choice than lu or lund imo

Well yanking your chain, but it's all in good fun (I hope). I was surprised at the number of people that didn't read my scarcasim, you'd think people on here would know me better by now? I couldn't stop LOLing reading the responses, even smurf47 was tricked (you'd think he'd know better with all the sticking up for him I've done).

Hope I'm not banned for trolling, be easy on me mods. ;)

Edited by Nino, 08 April 2013 - 02:35 PM.

#82 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

Well yanking your chain, but it's all in good fun (I hope). I was surprised at the number of people that didn't read my scarcasim, you'd think people on here would know me better by now? I couldn't stop LOLing reading the responses, even smurf47 was tricked (you'd think he'd know better with all the sticking up for him I've done).

Hope I'm not banned for trolling, be easy on me mods. ;)

yup ya got me ...sorry lol

#83 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

1.53 GAA, .950SV%

Unreal.

Not enough games played.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#84 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

if people are going to include luongo they gotta include anderson dont give me this Anderson hasnt played enough games both him and luongo haved played 16 games only reason he hasnt played more was injury compared to luongo getting outplayed.

#85 KraKassian

KraKassian

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

Probably because he's only played 16 games.

So as many as Luongo? And only 8 short of Schneider? And dealing with the condition his team is in missing their best defenseman and number one center?

Makes sense.

#86 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

So as many as Luongo? And only 8 short of Schneider? And dealing with the condition his team is in missing their best defenseman and number one center?

Makes sense.

8 games is alot for a goalie. That can change their stats pretty dramatically if they go into a slump or on a tear.

Posted Image

#87 KraKassian

KraKassian

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

8 games is alot for a goalie. That can change their stats pretty dramatically if they go into a slump or on a tear.

Injuries can affect stats pretty heavily too(both for the player, and for the player's team)

16 games is more than a big enough sample size, and that's only made more apparent by the inclusion of Luongo into a lot of these lists.

#88 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

Injuries can affect stats pretty heavily too(both for the player, and for the player's team)

16 games is more than a big enough sample size, and that's only made more apparent by the inclusion of Luongo into a lot of these lists.

Well I don't agree with Luongo being on any top 10 list. At least not this season.

If we're ranking them for this season as if it were Vezina nominations, games played is a big factor. There's other goalies with similar stats who have played quite a few more games and have way more than 8 wins.

Edited by DeNiro, 08 April 2013 - 04:04 PM.

Posted Image

#89 Patrick Kane

Patrick Kane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • 14,207 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

Well I don't agree with Luongo being on any top 10 list. At least not this season.

If we're ranking them for this season as if it were Vezina nominations, games played is a big factor. There's other goalies with similar stats who have played quite a few more games and have way more than 8 wins.

Agreed. Some people have him penciled in for the Hart. Posted Image

You will be missed.

#90 KraKassian

KraKassian

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

If you know Ottawa's situation then you would know that having those kind of stats with as few as wins is even more impressive, he has definitely given his team a chance to win every game.

And Lundqvist is looking like number one Vezina candidate and his SV% in .22 less than Anderson's and his GAA .54 more

Games played is a determining factor, but 16 games with those caliber stats is incredible, especially given the situation, I don't think any goalie in the league could do what he has done in 16 games playing under the same circumstances and that's why he belongs to at least be considered in the Top 10.

Luongo has had a pretty good season and was being compared to Anderson, however the Detroit game severely affected that, and his SV% still wouldn't be close to Anderson's.

Edited by KraKassian, 08 April 2013 - 04:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.