Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Has Schneider finally proven he can be a starting goalie?

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#61 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

Get off of Luongo's rod, please. The only thing he has proven in the playoffs is that he's inconsistent.

His inconsistent play is consistently inconsistent.... Wouldn't that make him consistent?

To down under, Lou scares the hell out of me in the playoffs because you never know who will show up.

#62 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

Schneider could run the table and I still wouldn't be convinced. Playing 30-something games in an abbreviated schedule is not the same as 60-70 over many months of hockey. Completely different ball-game. However he has proved he can play well and consistently over long stretches.

That being said, the playoffs is whole new beast. Even Cup winning goalies like Quick and Thomas had a few playoff failures, despite putting together solid regular seasons, before they could orchestrate a historic cup run. The only goalie in the last decade really who came out of nowhere, with no past playoff experience, and won a Cup was Niemi but he had a rediculously stacked team and defence in front of him to bail him out.

I now trust Schneider during the regular season, but don't trust him in the playoffs as much as I would Luongo. We've seen what Lu can do and how he comes up big in big games. Meanwhile Schneider has 1 playoff victory and no big-stage wins. Sure, everyone will be harboring about "giving him a chance", but we don't have 2 or 3 years for him to get that chance - we need a proven playoff performer in net NOW. And that's Luongo, like it or not.

Quick had 12 playoff games and Thomas had 18 before they won a cup. Cory has 8. What is really interesting is that both Quick and Thomas had at least .940sv% during their cup runs. Cory's 8 are at .940% but last year he was (3) .960%. The only time Lu reached .940 was his first year here (2007 -12 games .941%).

Cory is the starter. If for some reason he fails, then we are lucky to have Lu come in. The real ? will be the team in front of the goaltenders.

#63 canucksnhl

canucksnhl

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

Luongo has won 15 games in a Cup run. Schneider has won 1. I'm not saying Schneider isn't better than Luongo, but his track record has yet to be proven.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#64 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

Schneider could run the table and I still wouldn't be convinced. Playing 30-something games in an abbreviated schedule is not the same as 60-70 over many months of hockey. Completely different ball-game. However he has proved he can play well and consistently over long stretches.

That being said, the playoffs is whole new beast. Even Cup winning goalies like Quick and Thomas had a few playoff failures, despite putting together solid regular seasons, before they could orchestrate a historic cup run. The only goalie in the last decade really who came out of nowhere, with no past playoff experience, and won a Cup was Niemi but he had a rediculously stacked team and defence in front of him to bail him out.

I now trust Schneider during the regular season, but don't trust him in the playoffs as much as I would Luongo. We've seen what Lu can do and how he comes up big in big games. Meanwhile Schneider has 1 playoff victory and no big-stage wins. Sure, everyone will be harboring about "giving him a chance", but we don't have 2 or 3 years for him to get that chance - we need a proven playoff performer in net NOW. And that's Luongo, like it or not.

Luongo blows like Lethbridge

In the playoffs

Like it or not
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#65 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:48 AM

Most likely they were talking about a FULL season, as it stands he has played great this season but look at the amount of games played the past 3 season for each player

Schneider
2010-11 - 25gp
2011-12- 33gp
2012-13-25gp

Luongo
2010-11 60gp
2011-12 55 gp
2012-13 17gp

Schneider has played 8 games less this season than he did last, although in a shortened season. If he was the undisputed 1st he would have started a higher percentage of games.

Luongo's 2010/11 and 2011/12 gp is what a starter can expect to play(in a full season) and he has yet to play 55 or 60 games(Below Luongo's seaon average) in a season, so no he has not proven he can stand up to the rigorous demands of the starter position yet and keep up a good standard of play, that is what next season is going to prove.
Playoffs is another story, Since Luongo is critiqued as a playoff choker, this year schneider is most likely the starter and he will have to get us into the 2nd round or better, with as little goal support as canuck goalies are used to in the playoffs, most likely due to the bipolar nature of canuck fans if we do not get out of the 1st round schneider will either get excuses made for him or Roasted by Luongo lovers and the media will have a heyday with speculation if it was better to go with Luongo or not and it will be fodder for trade schneider speculations

Nvm thought is was games started

Edited by mbal23, 13 April 2013 - 09:50 AM.

#66 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

True, although Luo is a great goalie, still has a lot to prove. I believe next year he's gonna have a great season and many Luo haters will hate him leaving.

Wishing he will regain form and have a great season is not going to make it happen. Lou's game is broken and he seems unable to integrate technical improvements in his game. Stats are a measurement of success and Lou's stats are well below Schneiders. There is a definite and technical reason why. Lou was better than usual in the Calgary game, took a lot of shots on the crest which translates into better position. They are not crowd pleasing, grandstanding saves but solid , efficient goaltending, like Schneider. Reading the play, understanding options and squaring to puck (shooter) is a big part of what Schneider does better than Lou. Other than puck handling there is nothing that Lou does better than Schneider. I truly hope Lou can improve but its becoming apparent that he struggles to be able to make changes and thus improvements in his game. He had made significant improvements during the lockout that were successful but for whatever reason are no longer in place and his game has suffered.

#67 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

Just remember that most people on this site have 0 yrs in goaltending. ;)

Yes, I understand that, but they still won't listen to and criticize those who have, form their own self-serving and Lou saving opinions and have no technical knowledge to legitimize their opinions.

#68 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

Get off of Luongo's rod, please. The only thing he has proven in the playoffs is that he's inconsistent.

Get off of Schneider's then.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#69 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

Its not a goaltending debate until this guy shows up. :lol: each and every time.

#70 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

This playoff run is really gonna seal it, if he can get us through the second round, that would be real impressive with the conference so competitive.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#71 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

My personal bias' towards Luongo will always lend me to favour him.
Posted Image

#72 Riggs

Riggs

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

Schneider still has not played a full season as an NHL starter so I would say he is still unproven. His numbers look great but he hasn't started more than 28 games in a season. We still don't know how he would handle the toll of 60+ regular season games and then a playoff run. That's why it would be a huge mistake to trade Luongo before knowing if Schneider can stand up to the full grind of being a starting goaltender.

Zack Kassian is the Chosen One. Bring back Aaron Rome, asses.
romeisapimp.jpg
Trevor Linden is a meaningless figurehead meant to sell season tickets.

#73 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,388 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

Schneider still has not played a full season as an NHL starter so I would say he is still unproven. His numbers look great but he hasn't started more than 28 games in a season. We still don't know how he would handle the toll of 60+ regular season games and then a playoff run. That's why it would be a huge mistake to trade Luongo before knowing if Schneider can stand up to the full grind of being a starting goaltender.

you can tell this guy owns a luongo jersey

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#74 Riggs

Riggs

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

you can tell this guy owns a luongo jersey

I probably should get one because if he gets traded, it'll be another 5 years before another goaltender takes Vancouver to the Stanley Cup Final (and his name won't be Schneider).

romeisapimp.jpg

#75 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

[public service announcement]

Please stop pretending to know anything, it is getting on everyone's nerves.

You know who this applies to...

[public service announcement]

#76 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,388 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

I probably should get one because if he gets traded, it'll be another 5 years before another goaltender takes Vancouver to the Stanley Cup Final (and his name won't be Schneider).

how do you know?

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#77 Riggs

Riggs

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:52 PM

how do you know?

I don't know for sure. Just going by this team's history, there's usually a while between Stanley Cup Final appearances.

romeisapimp.jpg

#78 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,388 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

I don't know for sure. Just going by this team's history, there's usually a while between Stanley Cup Final appearances.

what are you even talking about? what does history have to do with schneider or luongo? are you saying that Luongo is good enough to erase the team's historical problem of being in the SCF consistently, and that Schneider iSN'T good enough for that?

going by the team's history, there's usually a while between SCF appearances, and if you're going to use history to judge the future, then that "while between" will happen regardless of who the goalie is

Edited by GLASSJAW, 13 April 2013 - 04:59 PM.

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#79 wai_lai416

wai_lai416

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:13 PM

give it a break.. regardless of who's in net we ain't going to the SCF lol.. this team have no consistency.. and u can't just flip a switch on in the playoff... we don't have the skill.. we have a slowly declining Sedins.. a who knows how healthy Kesler.. and the most overrated defense in the league.. that does not add up to a team turning it on and making a run.

#80 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

I sense goalie controversy V2.5 coming next month

:picard:

#81 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

Ya he can get traded to another team in need of a goalie where they give us a scoring winger or centre and a draft pick. We could easy fetch more in trade with Schneider then Luu and still have awesome goaltending. Lack could be back up and after a couple yrs playing behind Luu we can go through all this again, but by then luu will be 37 and we will want to go younger then.

Ya he can get traded to another team in need of a goalie where they give us a scoring winger or centre and a draft pick. We could easy fetch more in trade with Schneider then Luu and still have awesome goaltending. Lack could be back up and after a couple yrs playing behind Luu we can go through all this again, but by then luu will be 37 and we will want to go younger then.

This doesn't make sense as Lu will be 37 and still with a big contract. So he wouldn't be as tradeable than as now. However, Cory will be still be tradeable still few years down the road if you assume Lack can play in the NHL as a number 1

#82 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,328 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

You can debate on if can take over for Lu or not, but he is ready to be a number one goalie on a team with one goalie (ours or whatever) He has been for years and had the ability

He's not a rookie kid, he's a full fledged NHL-er with the tools and talent of a superstar goalie.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#83 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

I guess Tampa should move Stamkos instead of Lecavalier then

Lol good one, he got served.

#84 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

give it a break.. regardless of who's in net we ain't going to the SCF lol.. this team have no consistency.. and u can't just flip a switch on in the playoff... we don't have the skill.. we have a slowly declining Sedins.. a who knows how healthy Kesler.. and the most overrated defense in the league.. that does not add up to a team turning it on and making a run.

Very true, if they cant score on the pp or hand out unforced errors does it really matter who's in net? Is Cory or Lu going to single handily win the cup without the team scoring or playing sound defense?

Edited by Gonz, 13 April 2013 - 07:41 PM.

#85 Slegr

Slegr

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

give it a break.. regardless of who's in net we ain't going to the SCF lol.. this team have no consistency.. and u can't just flip a switch on in the playoff...

You obviously didn't catch the 1993/94 season. A .500 hockey team grabbing one of the final seeds into the playoffs and surprising everyone.
"I knew we had a great team. I told everyone if we play as a group, we can win it all. Everyone laughed. Now we're laughing."
-Jiri Slegr

#86 Gman

Gman

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

You obviously didn't catch the 1993/94 season. A .500 hockey team grabbing one of the final seeds into the playoffs and surprising everyone.

People outside of Vancouver and casual fans may have been surprised. Everyone who really followed the team knew the underacheived greatly that year in the regular season.
Posted Image

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the same sense to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart." - H.L. Mencken

"When you understand why you don't believe in other people's gods, you will understand why I don't believe in yours."- Albert Einstein

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs." - Unknown

"Atheism is a non-prophet organization" - Unknown

#87 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

People outside of Vancouver and casual fans may have been surprised. Everyone who really followed the team knew the underacheived greatly that year in the regular season.

Definitely two different teams.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#88 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

Luongo blows like Lethbridge

In the playoffs

Like it or not

This could be true.I thought the question was about Cory,who has proven himself as a regular season goalie.He has also proven to this point in time to be a failure in post season i.e. last seasons playoffs played 3 lost 2. Not much more to be said.

#89 Slegr

Slegr

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:11 PM

Kind of sounds like another Canucks team we've been watching.
"I knew we had a great team. I told everyone if we play as a group, we can win it all. Everyone laughed. Now we're laughing."
-Jiri Slegr

#90 Mayhem30

Mayhem30

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:41 PM

Kind of sounds like another Canucks team we've been watching.

Exactly!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.