The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has Schneider finally proven he can be a starting goalie?

hockeyfan90

Cory hasn't proven he can handle a full season. He definitely has the skill and potential, and by this point it's probably a safe bet thinking Cory can handle himself. Though I'd say we should get a veteran backup just in case he struggles in his first season of 60+ games.

I'd rather keep Lu, but that's clearly not happening now. So Cory better be able to handle a full season, or else MG will definitely be fired.

love how ol the haters blame loungo for our playoff losses, time a d time hes bailed out this team our lacklustre defense and lack of scoring has been our downfall as has been lack of grit i still see no one protecting sedins and a pp thats pathetic we might win a series or two this yr but no way will we win cup unless luongo and schneider carry this team with .970 save percentage all playoffs

Gosh can't we just be happy for having two great goalies.. -.-

For the question, yes Schneids is a starting goalie in this league.

I just don't think it's really fair to compare Schneids playoff stats to Lu's since he's only played 8 of them. Like seriously, Lu was playing god like during his first playoff stint through 12 games, heck the whole season with a team not even closely up to par with the one we're icing now, basically carried the team on his back, and to those who blame Lu for the playoffs, other than the Chi meltdowns, you can't blame him.

Whichever goalie we ice, I just hope they both play well and we can make a serious run!

Go Nucks :towel:

Cory hasn't proven he can handle a full season. He definitely has the skill and potential, and by this point it's probably a safe bet thinking Cory can handle himself. Though I'd say we should get a veteran backup just in case he struggles in his first season of 60+ games.

I'd rather keep Lu, but that's clearly not happening now. So Cory better be able to handle a full season, or else MG will definitely be fired.

hope schneider does great in the playoff.. but if he have a couple of game that he gets lit up... man i can't wait to see CDC explodes lol.... Schneider so far proved he can play well in long stretches.. whether he can handle playing 70 games a season remains to be seen.. what i've noticed so far is everytime he plays consecutive for 6 7 ish games he'll have a terrible game.. happened several times this year.. also happened last year when he was playing great for 5-6 games and then got lit up the next game.. hopefully that's just a hiccup and it's not a trend.. especially in the playoff where 5th 6th or 7th game could be a huge one to have your bad games on... he played 25 games so far this season.. and there's at least 5-7 below average to terrible games in there.. that's 1 in 5.. not all resulted in lost.. but when comes the playoff.. it could be a momentum swing.. so hopefully he work that out of his system.

I think you should stick to watching cricket or something. You put emotion and player favoritism over the actual fact of Schneider being the better goalie, now and in the future. Get over it, and stop hoping for the miracle of Luongo taking over, because it's not happening.

On a second note, Schneider could play 82 games for the next 5 seasons and it still wouldn't be a big enough sample size for them.. Everyone has a man crush on Luongo and it absolutely leaves me flabbergasted. If people in Vancouver had memories better than goldfish they would already have moved on. Anyone that knows anything about goal tending, and the actual game of hockey itself would put aside the man crush and realize what's best for this team. That wouldn't be the appropriate action for a canucks fan though. It's the same old, always.

Do you say that everytime an athlete starts a career? How can one have shown you something they have not been part of as a starting goalie? He played against chicago once during luongo's relapse, played well. Played once against boston after luongo's meltdown, played well, and took over a starting goalies job against LA after luongo's terribly timed non-stop weak short handed goals, and gave us a chance to win that series, but it was too late.

The kid has proven over, and over he's got the ability, the brain, and he handles pressure 100X better than luongo. I'm sorry if fact hurts.

Schneider could run the table and I still wouldn't be convinced. Playing 30-something games in an abbreviated schedule is not the same as 60-70 over many months of hockey. Completely different ball-game. However he has proved he can play well and consistently over long stretches.

That being said, the playoffs is whole new beast. Even Cup winning goalies like Quick and Thomas had a few playoff failures, despite putting together solid regular seasons, before they could orchestrate a historic cup run. The only goalie in the last decade really who came out of nowhere, with no past playoff experience, and won a Cup was Niemi but he had a rediculously stacked team and defence in front of him to bail him out.

I now trust Schneider during the regular season, but don't trust him in the playoffs as much as I would Luongo. We've seen what Lu can do and how he comes up big in big games. Meanwhile Schneider has 1 playoff victory and no big-stage wins. Sure, everyone will be harboring about "giving him a chance", but we don't have 2 or 3 years for him to get that chance - we need a proven playoff performer in net NOW. And that's Luongo, like it or not.

Schneider could run the table and I still wouldn't be convinced. Playing 30-something games in an abbreviated schedule is not the same as 60-70 over many months of hockey. Completely different ball-game. However he has proved he can play well and consistently over long stretches.

That being said, the playoffs is whole new beast. Even Cup winning goalies like Quick and Thomas had a few playoff failures, despite putting together solid regular seasons, before they could orchestrate a historic cup run. The only goalie in the last decade really who came out of nowhere, with no past playoff experience, and won a Cup was Niemi but he had a rediculously stacked team and defence in front of him to bail him out.

I now trust Schneider during the regular season, but don't trust him in the playoffs as much as I would Luongo. We've seen what Lu can do and how he comes up big in big games. Meanwhile Schneider has 1 playoff victory and no big-stage wins. Sure, everyone will be harboring about "giving him a chance", but we don't have 2 or 3 years for him to get that chance - we need a proven playoff performer in net NOW. And that's Luongo, like it or not.

I don't see the point in bickering over which goaltender is better. You have two that can both consistently give your team a chance to win in almost every game they play.

They say the best playoffs teams are built from the net out, and the Canucks have a great advantage there. You can even see how badly the fact that the both want to prove themselves (in different ways) really sparks them to play well, and now you're on a nice little winning streak.

This could be your year to really take another run at the cup, because you won't always have this safety in net (almost any other team losing their starter to injury in the playoffs would be in trouble).

Enjoy having both Luongo and Schneider while you have them, and from a Leafs fan, I hope you guys can carry the current momentum into the post season.

Good luck, and don't forget to actually enjoy the ride!

U guys are funny. Slamming Lu while cherry picking stats fo Schneider. FACT IS Schneider hasn't won a playoff round.

Truth is I NEVER wanted Lu on that terrible contract. Would rather Nucks trade his rights and go with Schneider back then.

But what's done is done and Nucks should be grateful they have two #1 goalies. IF the Nucks falter, it will not be the goalies fault but in scoring.

Archived