The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Was Keeping Schneider a Mistake?

Ugli Fruit

Will anyone actually dispute the reasoning behind the theory instead of just bashing me? I mean, it doesn't really matter to me either way, but given the general sense of disagreement here, I want to know why exactly I am so stupid in making the thread.

Reasoning: Since Luongo IS good enough to backstop this team to a cup, given a contending roster, why not go for broke and trade Schneider because:

- gives us better return

- actually tradeable

We are literally letting 5.3M fester on the bench, 5.3M that can be used in goal to help us win a cup. What we can do instead of what MG did, or rather, did not do, is to have made some moves that could directly benefit our team NOW, and get full effect out of the rental trade in Roy.

Why trade our prospects or picks for an expensive rental and then keep our other redundant assets, when we can use that to address urgent matters that will undoubtedly bite us in the ***? At any point in time in the playoffs, we can only play one of the goalies. We can't use the tandem in the playoffs, be real. If one of the goalies struggles in the series, that's 2-0, 3-0, 3-1 and a score like that is more or less insurmountable. There's absolutely NO REASON to keep both goalies if we want to win the cup.

So then, move the goalie who can be traded, I say. Move him and get a great return, a return that can actually play every game, and perhaps a return that can score a lot, since this team plays like garbage in the playoffs.

Did Boston win the cup using a tandem? Did LA win a cup using the tandem? No, LA actually loaded up in offense and got Jeff Carter. They stuck with 1 goalie and despite Quick not playing like an all-star for EVERY game, they won the cup anyway.

We will not win this year, and it will be because of scoring.

Also, people sure don't know how to use context. I said leave if you disagree with me with the statement that both Luongo and Schneider are capable of being the goalie in our cup run. Not because I want you to agree with me, but because if you disagree, the rest of the thread becomes null. Give your heads a shake. I don't care if you disagree, but that said, if you're just hating on me, then you really need to get off the computer and do something worthwhile instead.

You don't trade Cory because he is also more valuable to us not just others.

You don't trade Cory because if you are trading a blue chip player with 10 playing years left you want much more than just a rental, with the cap dropping 6 million next year gaining a player the calibre Cory should demand just gives us further cap problems next year.

You don't trade Cory because the goaltender market is soft, not just for Luongo, and you are not going to get the deal you should.

You don't trade Cory because nobody EVER trades away their #1 goalie heading into the playoffs no matter how much confidence you have in your backup.

etc

People on CDC won't admit mistakes. Look at the Ballard trade. It's obvious losing Lu for nothing is retarded. The guy had a .943 save percentage to start the year. If MG committed to Cory then I guess he has to stick with that but he committed to Lu when he signed him long term and if we can reconcile things with Lu I think we should keep him.

As the Sedins are getting older and slower, as Kesler is being injured more and more and as the secondaryry scoring is sporadic at best :

I think 1 or the other goalie should have been moved to get the immediate help the team needs for this year and possibly next years cup "window".

apparently Shcnieder would be more marketable. Should have gone all in.

As the Sedins are getting older and slower, as Kesler is being injured more and more and as the secondaryry scoring is sporadic at best :

I think 1 or the other goalie should have been moved to get the immediate help the team needs for this year and possibly next years cup "window".

apparently Shcnieder would be more marketable. Should have gone all in.

I hope everyone is enjoying how awesome Cory Schneider is in 5 years when we are no longer a contender!

We need to win now, and Luongo can help us do that, along with an actual asset we can get from trading Schneider. Why do people think Schneider is so much better than Luongo? He's just younger, but what will that matter if we suck in the future?

Face it, we can't expect to just cruise into the playoffs every year by simply crushing Calgary, Colorado, and Edmonton all season.

Whatever happens, I'm sure Gillis will do what's right for the team. He doesn't have a crystal ball like many of you geniuses, but I trust in his intelligence.

Luongo has proven on an annual basis that he doesn't have what it takes to win with regularity in the playoffs. We had 1 run with Luongo on a runaway Presidents trophy winning team that was 1 goal away from a colossal upset in the first round. Reconciling with Luongo would only be dooming this team to more failures. History dictates this.

How bad would it look on us if we signed a goalie to a lifetime contract only to use him sparingly as a backup after replacing him with a goalie in an unwinable series against the eventual Cup winner and then treat him as if he wasn't good enough despite record breaking seasons and repeat President's trophies?

How bad would it look on us?

You don't trade Cory because he is also more valuable to us not just others.

You don't trade Cory because if you are trading a blue chip player with 10 playing years left you want much more than just a rental, with the cap dropping 6 million next year gaining a player the calibre Cory should demand just gives us further cap problems next year.

You don't trade Cory because the goaltender market is soft, not just for Luongo, and you are not going to get the deal you should.

You don't trade Cory because nobody EVER trades away their #1 goalie heading into the playoffs no matter how much confidence you have in your backup.

etc

For this year, no. As much as I love having Lu on the team, MG has really screwed this one up.

What SHOULD have happened was for MG to trade Cory in the 2011 or 2012 season.

He already committed to Lu when he signed him long term, and this is the mess you get when you change your mind after that.

For this year, no. As much as I love having Lu on the team, MG has really screwed this one up.

What SHOULD have happened was for MG to trade Cory in the 2011 or 2012 season.

He already committed to Lu when he signed him long term, and this is the mess you get when you change your mind after that.

That's right. You don't trade your #1 goalie heading into the playoffs, no matter how much confidence you have in your backup. The Canucks have extreme confidence in their backup right now and they're riding him.

Soon enough though, the #1 goalie will be given his position once again.

Check it out.

That's right. You don't trade your #1 goalie heading into the playoffs, no matter how much confidence you have in your backup. The Canucks have extreme confidence in their backup right now and they're riding him.

Soon enough though, the #1 goalie will be given his position once again.

Check it out.

Archived