53 replies to this topic

#31 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

His best hockey will come within the next 4 years. Bank on it guys.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#32 kj29

kj29

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

Wow someone's getting rude. No need to call each other names.

Besides, it's hard to blame the other 4 guys when the team isn't setting up because of the PPQB

See, wow, you're still blaming it on Eddie.... what a fan :picard:

Why don't you become a Vancouver Negatives fan :emot-parrot:

o5udj8.jpg

medium.jpg CDCFL medium.jpg CDCEHL medium.jpg CDCSTHS

*Commissioner of CDCYHL*

#33 Hamhuis Hipcheck

Hamhuis Hipcheck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

See, wow, you're still blaming it on Eddie.... what a fan :picard:

Why don't you become a Vancouver Negatives fan :emot-parrot:

You must have misunderstood me lappy40. I'm a fan of the team. All my friends can vouch for that. This doesn't necessarily mean I'm a fan of every player on the team.

#34 kj29

kj29

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

You must have misunderstood me lappy40. I'm a fan of the team. All my friends can vouch for that. This doesn't necessarily mean I'm a fan of every player on the team.

As a true fan, you must not bring down someone's profile even if they are struggling and must not blame one's play
But can encourage one's performance to be better in a positive way rather than a negative way- which you did.
All ima saying is that you should be positive and try to encourage Edler's play rather than blaming his play in a negative way.

Either change your attitude or your just a fan like any other, not a true fan.

o5udj8.jpg

medium.jpg CDCFL medium.jpg CDCEHL medium.jpg CDCSTHS

*Commissioner of CDCYHL*

#35 Lundymaphone

Lundymaphone

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

No one will know if Edler is coming into his own until half way (or more) through next season. This would not be the first short lived Edler spurt, where he plays exceptionally well and lives up to his potential. He is entering that stage in his career where if he can't find some consistency, it will be safe to say he is a permanently inconsistent player. For one thing I think people should lower their expectations of him. He is highly unlikely to ever be a Norris caliber defensemen If he lives up to his potential, he will be in that second tier of number 1 defensemen, still securely a 1A, but not a Pronger, Bourque, etc.

#36 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

No one will know if Edler is coming into his own until half way (or more) through next season. This would not be the first short lived Edler spurt, where he plays exceptionally well and lives up to his potential. He is entering that stage in his career where if he can't find some consistency, it will be safe to say he is a permanently inconsistent player. For one thing I think people should lower their expectations of him. He is highly unlikely to ever be a Norris caliber defensemen If he lives up to his potential, he will be in that second tier of number 1 defensemen, still securely a 1A, but not a Pronger, Bourque, etc.

Kevin Bieksa, Dan Hamhius, did not play their best hockey until they were 29 years old.
Mr. Bieksa was a skating liablity up until the 2011 season were he broke out with help of Dan Hamhius.
Mr. Bieksa back then was much worst then Edler today. Bieksa at 1 time went as low as 15 minutes of ice time per game.

Lidstrom did not win his first Norris until he was 31. Chara didn't win his Norris until 34.
Scott Neidermayer didn't play his best hockey until he was 32 actually when he won the NOrris in 2004.

We are quite fortunate to have a guy like Edler. He like the new Jovanovski for us. Top pairing offensive dman that at times, have defensive break downs, but I think Edler will find his game.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#37 C750X

C750X

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

I think he's hot!

And I'm a straight dude! :picard:

Or so I say! :emot-parrot:

Though he does do some stupid ish sometimes! :frantic:

#38 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,766 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:49 PM

The contrived power play entry strategy is what is to blame for any and everything.
The over-structured 'drop back' thing is messing with his mojo and spilling into his overall game.
He just needs to say F#$* It! and just be himself goddamit!!
Free Alex Edler!
Anyhow, Edler on a bad day is still one hell of a top 4 defenseman.
Patience grasshoppers,

#39 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:56 PM

Patience grasshoppers,

He sure is.

I might make a request to PITB to research the ratio of Eddie errors to Eddie defensive plays.

Im willing to bet that the errors pale to the good defensive play.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#40 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,766 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:27 PM

He sure is.

I might make a request to PITB to research the ratio of Eddie errors to Eddie defensive plays.

Im willing to bet that the errors pale to the good defensive play.

I agree - CDC has a memory for errors it would seem, and little else.

Here's what I remember about Edler:

The result - Kane played afraid.
When people have to resort to complaining about Edler, they have it too good.

#41 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:42 AM

Everyone knows he can play better, and honestly I don't care how bad he is during the regular season, as long as he brings his A game for the playoffs. If he plays the way he did during the 2011 run, the Canucks are going deep. This defence rests on the play of it's top-4, but Edler is a game changer - in a good or bad way.
Posted Image

#42 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,471 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:09 AM

4PP lol. Nothing to brag about
it's even more sad that the a Defenseman is leading a team in PP goals.

He had 5 playing 82 games last year.

(Btw, Raymond is tied with him for pp goals)

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#43 Ride the red Pony

Ride the red Pony

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:28 AM

I agree, he has looked better the last few games, I know some have said it is due to an ailing back that his play had become less than average some nights, if this were the case I don't think AV would be playing him 24-25 mins. a night.

AV cut his mins. back to 21-22 mins. lately and it seems his play has gotten better, I believe it was MacIntyre or Cheech that pointed this out between periods last game.

I believe with his play a few years ago fans believed with a few more years of seasoning under his belt we would have the next Lidstrom (big expectations), IMO he will never be that player, but more like Kronwall, which would be great too.
I think his development has really slowed now, not sure what to attribute that to, but I think he will be fine.
He seems to have lost the comfort that he had in his game a few years ago.

#44 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,914 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:06 AM

He's the one that leads the rush. He's the one that's suppose to bring the puck into the zone, yet he always hesitates either dumping it in or drop passing it, leading to a horrendous PP.

You have a flawed idea of how a powerplay is supposed to work.

A defenseman who attempts to carry the puck all the way from his own end, into the opposing offensive zone is going to lose the puck far more often than not. (Unless he's Bobby Orr) The drop pass, (which is used by several teams around the league) is designed to allow the team entry into the zone while maintaining possession, which it does on a regular basis. The shoot in is a different method, but also effective when done properly.

While it's true that the Canucks' PP has had it's problems this season, the method used for entering the opposing zone is far down the list for reasons why.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#45 rkyway

rkyway

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

People seem unaware he was a minus 3 in the Dallas game.

#46 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

Are you guys crazy! Every team in this league would be foaming at the mouth for Edler. Bob Mckenzie said if he hit the open market he wudda got crazy money. If you are going to build a defensemen you build Edler. Big , Strong , Physical , Amazing shot , Can run the powerplay , Everyone seen his offensive prowess when he went end to end against CBJ! I was watching an intermission one night and the panel said Edler is one of a handfull guys that can win the Norris!!

Well, if the panel said it, it must be true. :rolleyes: The guy is a joke the way he's played this season and the last part of last season. One isolated play doesn't make up for the frustration of his overall play. He used to be one of my 2 or 3 favourite Canucks...now I would gladly see him go in exchange for a good winger.

#47 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

As a true fan, you must not bring down someone's profile even if they are struggling and must not blame one's play
But can encourage one's performance to be better in a positive way rather than a negative way- which you did.
All ima saying is that you should be positive and try to encourage Edler's play rather than blaming his play in a negative way.

Either change your attitude or your just a fan like any other, not a true fan.

What kind of La-La land do you live in?

#48 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

He like the new Jovanovski for us.

You say that like it's a good thing....

#49 Dancin'Droid

Dancin'Droid

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

The contrived power play entry strategy is what is to blame for any and everything.
The over-structured 'drop back' thing is messing with his mojo and spilling into his overall game.
He just needs to say F#$* It! and just be himself goddamit!!
Free Alex Edler!
Patience grasshoppers,

Do you mean like this?

DancingAndroidYellow-1.gif

2013 Kent Jr. Football Champion

2014 Bronze Boot

2014 Kent Sr. Football Champion

2014 SWOSSA Football Finalist 

#50 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,914 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

People seem unaware he was a minus 3 in the Dallas game.

That happens a lot when the final score is 5-1. He wasn't great last night, but there was a lot of that going around....

...and he did play over 25 minutes...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#51 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

"Constantly having to prove yourself," that's the definition of an athlete. Edler has always had what it takes, just because certain fans are down on him doesn't mean that he won't surpass their expectations once again.

Don't put too much clout in a persons opinions, only you control your destiny. Eddy is gonna be a beast in the playoffs, I'd rather have him than not.

Edited by Kesler's Nose, 21 April 2013 - 10:30 AM.

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#52 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,892 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

^ his game is certainly coming together at the right time.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#53 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

as i have said many times

1. All Star last year - Last year.

2. Tough playoffs, injury to come back from and yet people jump all over the guy. He was very poor through the last 10 games and playoffs last year.

3. Did you know the following?

a. only 3 pts out of the top ten in scoring for dmen this year You are gilding the lilly by how you are selecting your stats. Edler is 21st among defencemen, one point behind Hamhuis who almost never gets first unit PP time. Last year he was 7th overall. This is on a PP that featues two guys who had won the scoring race the previous two seasons. He was given a marvelous opportunity, that no-one else on the team got, and he screwed it up.
b. 5th in shots by a defenseman Like I said, lots of opportunities, weak results.
c. tied for 5th in pp points by a dman (only 3 out of first) But even strength in goals, the true test of a player, he is behind Garrison, Bieksa, and Hamhuis - what if they had had his opportunity on the first unit PP? In even strength points Edler is 34th in the league.
d. and yes inconsistent on d this year but only a -2 BS. Edler is -5, tied with Alberts for worst D on the team. All of the others are plus players except Ballard, who is +/- 0. All of my numbers from nhl.com - +/- stat from here:http://www.nhl.com/i...iewName=summary

hmm

boy he sucks

#54 Merely

Merely

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

I have to say something.

I have been a serious anti-Edler contingent on the CDC for the last while.

I have to say that he has really turned his game around and is making the defense look very solid now.

He has been taking the body with some highlight reel bulldozings (I'm looking at you Oscar nominee Mike Smith) and has scored goals on shots goalies have no chance of stopping. Putting him with Garrison and Bieksa with Hamhuis would be ideal right now.

Anyways. I am glad to have been wrong about Edler. Very glad.

End communication.

I told you all!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.