The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Luongo should get the start from here on

VanNuck

it's so funny how the vancouver media has managed to convince 90% of the team's fanbase that a goalie losing a game by more than 2 goals is considered a 'breakdown'

the team in front of schneider was awful

schneider didn't make saves when he should have

not a breakdown, just a reflection of how badly this team needs a legitimate shakeup

I think its more a case of the Canucks not being a stanly cup champion team than either goalie having a meltdown. Schneider will get the nod and when the team around him crumbles he will burden the blame and all the Loungo naysayers will have Schneiders head on a stick right beside Loungo's.

Than we can all sit around and chat about how neither of our goalies are playoff performers instead of addressing the real problems.

Up until the post playoff press conference last year the Canucks plan had to be to trade Schneider & roll the dice with Luongo forever.

Luongo was a core part of the team, locked up for the rest of his career, had a NTC & Gillis had repeatedly said he would never ask a player to waive a NTC.

So Luongo staying & Cory getting traded was the only real possibility. I even think they deliberately started Cory in key tough games last season so he could showcase himself & drive up his trade value.

I love Luo & was perfectly content with this scenario playing out. Luo certainly has had his meltdowns, No matter what his loyal defenders say. He has consistently, singlehandedly lost playoff games for the Canucks, but has also stood on his head & given the Canucks a chance to win on a regular basis.

I was willing to cross my fingers & hope Luo could eventually slay his demons & make it through a playoff season without a meltdown.

Then Luongo came out after last years playoffs & said maybe it was time to move on & yes he'd be willing to waive his NTC depending on the destination.

I was still hoping Gillis would talk him out of that, but after the player/management post season meetings it was widely reported that Luo had asked for a trade & it became obvious that Gillis was shopping him around.

All Luongo had to do was say, "I love this team, I think I can help win a Stanley Cup here, I don't want to go anywhere".

I wish he had said it, I think we'd have a better team atm if he had said it, I think Burrows, Bieksa & the Sedins would of said it.

Luongo didn't say it, instead he said maybe it's time for me to move on.

Since that time Cory Schneider has risen to the occasion & done everything anyone could ask of him. He has proven he deserves an opportunity to lead this team into the playoffs.

So Luongo is done with the Canucks, it doesn't matter if they can get value for him, it doesn't matter if they have to give him away. He is gone.

Cory Schneider is our goalie, He is going to get every opportunity to prove himself.

As a Canucks fan I have accepted this reality & have put my hopes in Cory.

I don't think Luongo will or should get another chance to redeem himself here.

I'd say give Cory this playoff run. To see what he's capable of in the post-season.

So far, in his limited outings: had cramps for crying out loud, never really played on his head to steal us a game, and has won only one so far. So yeah, I'm not sold.

I'm really skeptic, but the only way to find out is to try it out.

And if we don't get far, for christ's sake, please don't give out excuses blaming the team in front of him.

Because the notion that Luongo self-destructs is overrated - when the team around him gives way in Game 7. Because Schneider is largely untested and has little chance of winning now, while Lu at least got the Nucks 15 wins. Because unless Lu proves himself, the Nucks are stuck with him taking up space. So face it up, or go cheer for someone else, like Smashin Kassian's Penguins.

Since all anyone cares about is playoff performance, let's look at recent history, to refresh our memories.

Lou's last year playoff stats 3.59 Gaa and .891 save %

Cory's numbers last year 1.31 gaa and .960 save % (better numbers in reg. season this year also)

When your team can't score, I know who I'd be leaning towards starting.

Luongos trade value didn't decrease because teams don't believe in his skill anymore. It decreased because the asking price was to high in a market that had no interest in high priced goalies. The only reason his value continues to drop is because of the lowering cap hit in the summer and teams know we are up against the block to move him. Playing Luongo will do nothing for his trade value, in fact it could only hurt it if he has yet another playoff meltdown.

Face it you only made this thread up because your a Luongo fan boy and not a Canucks fan boy. It has nothing to do with this team succeeding. It has only to do with your obsession with this player you can't accept is getting traded. Have you ever thought about the player and what Luongo wants? Have you ever thought that Luongo wants out. didn't you see how devastated he was when he wasn't traded..People need to wake up.

Clearly having the most experience is always the best way to go:

2012, the Kings should have brought in a veteran goalie for the playoffs rather than going with the relatively young and inexperienced Quick...

2010, the Hawks should have gone with the more experienced Cristobal Huet in the post-season...

2008, the Wings were crazy not to have the legendary Dominic Hasek as their post-season starter...

2006, Carolina must have been out of their minds riding rookie and backup Cam Ward through the playoffs...

1990, Must have been pure luck that Edmonton managed to win the cup with a relatively inexperienced Bill Ranford after starter Grant Fuhr was suspended for the season...

1989, it is a wonder the Flames somehow managed to win the cup with Mike Vernon in net who was playing in only his 3rd season as an NHL goaltender and second as the Flames starter...

1986, somehow the Montreal Canadiens win the cup with a rookie goaltender named Patrick Roy...

1971, Ken Dryen leads the Canadiens to the cup while only having a grand total of 6 regular season NHL games of experience

2012, the Kings should have brought in a veteran goalie for the playoffs rather than going with the relatively young and inexperienced Quick...

2010, the Hawks should have gone with the more experienced Cristobal Huet in the post-season...

2008, the Wings were crazy not to have the legendary Dominic Hasek as their post-season starter...

2006, Carolina must have been out of their minds riding rookie and backup Cam Ward through the playoffs...

1990, Must have been pure luck that Edmonton managed to win the cup with a relatively inexperienced Bill Ranford after starter Grant Fuhr was suspended for the season...

1989, it is a wonder the Flames somehow managed to win the cup with Mike Vernon in net who was playing in only his 3rd season as an NHL goaltender and second as the Flames starter...

1986, somehow the Montreal Canadiens win the cup with a rookie goaltender named Patrick Roy...

1971, Ken Dryen leads the Canadiens to the cup while only having a grand total of 6 regular season NHL games of experience

I certainly hope people start realizing that its not Luongo who solely breaks down but the entire team.

He is untradable and does deserve to be number one on this team. He has grown with the core, he is part of the core and if you want to compare his importance:

How would anyone feel about sitting a healthy Kesler?

How about sitting one of the Sedins each night?

How about Hamhuis or Bieksa sitting, healthy, on the bench, night after night?

Luongo's time has come.

Again I ask, AV is looking to start Schneider in the playoffs. Of Schneider falls two games to none in the first round, does he play Luongo the third game?

That's exactly what I'm tallking about. I'd say though, only games that were his fault if anything was against Chicago the previous two years - somehow, he needed to find a way of dealing with Byfuglien in his crease, like not getting rattled so easily, pushing the guy out of the way, or maybe developing a Gretzky-sense, etc. I wonder how Roy would do it? Schneids, as is any other goalie, isn't immune to someone screening him either.

Guest Dasein

Archived