The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Your Call] Whats gone wrong with the Canucks

canuckbeliever

It's funny looking at the responses to threads like this one. If the Canucks were winning recently everyone is in a carefree attitude and believe that everything will be fixed. They then complain about the op being negative and tell them to come back after a loss.

If someone posts this after a loss, everyone will say "Where were you when the Canucks were winning?"

Is it really that hard to see the issues with this team? We gave up 30+ shots to weak, non-playoff contending teams like Calgary and Nashville not too long ago. I hope the team steps up in the playoffs or we are in for another first round exit.

Getting a kick out of this thread.

Who would have expected the Canucks to take the 3rd seed (not only won the division, but are literally third in points in the west) playing without the 2nd line for almost the entire season?

The "problem" must be the coaching...

tumblr_lz5za3zPxR1qbghg6o1_500.gif

It is pretty funny how differently people evaluate this team (and others). And how it fluctuates from game to game. Personally I've said this whole season, I'll give this team the benefit of the doubt until 10 games before playoffs start. Then I will evaluate. It's such a small sample size to evaluate, but it's all we got.

I just don't think it's possible that a team trending downwards can 'suddenly' hit the go button once playoffs start. When a teams underlying #'s are trending downwards (like the Canucks), it's concerning. Teams like Chi and LA have been steady all yr - still are. Teams like STL are trending upwards via underlying #'s. Teams like Minny/ANA are finally succumbing to their terrible underlying #'s and are losing. One things for sure, due to shortened season, this is going to be one heck of a playoffs in both conferences.

leadership I think is the teams biggest weakness. Really miss Linden. The sedins are great players but there not Vocal inspiring leaders. Kes has lost respect imo because of his attitude/ selfish play so the only real leader on the Team as I see it is Bieksa however not talented enough to be Captain IMO.

It is pretty funny how differently people evaluate this team (and others). And how it fluctuates from game to game. Personally I've said this whole season, I'll give this team the benefit of the doubt until 10 games before playoffs start. Then I will evaluate. It's such a small sample size to evaluate, but it's all we got.

I just don't think it's possible that a team trending downwards can 'suddenly' hit the go button once playoffs start. When a teams underlying #'s are trending downwards (like the Canucks), it's concerning. Teams like Chi and LA have been steady all yr - still are. Teams like STL are trending upwards via underlying #'s. Teams like Minny/ANA are finally succumbing to their terrible underlying #'s and are losing. One things for sure, due to shortened season, this is going to be one heck of a playoffs in both conferences.

I politely disagree.

Well, since Nonis was let go (even before that), management and coaches identified the future core players. Nazzy, Linden, Bert, Mo, Ohlie, and Klatt passed on their strengths as team leaders to the current roster. They mentored this team, especially Linden.

Take the time to view this. At 1:04...you get a glimpse of how respected Hank is from the one you miss most.

Hank is one of the Canucks all time great captains. He learned from the best. And he has a great group behind him who share the role of leaders.

Maybe what's gone wrong is the wrong title. Maybe it should be can the Canucks correct their weaknesses in time for the playoffs?

Even Jim Hughson on Team 1040 said the Canucks are a hard team to gauge. It's our inconsistency that is a worry. Now what is the source of inconsistency? Injuries? Line up changes? Bad tactics (i.e. the stupid drop pass)? Players like Edler recovering from serious injury?

It is hard to get consistency when you never have a healthy lineup. However, teams like Ottawa get serious injuries and no one there makes excuses. It also is disturbing to see that the Canucks with very few exceptions this season had a full 60 minute effort.

So is the club "coasting" to get in the playoffs? Can the team just "flick a switch" and jump into playoff mode?

Clinching the division in spite of adversity is a good sign. It's just it would be nice seeing the team firing on all cylinders to get an idea of where we are.

Yeah yeah never heard that one before lol. I have been called a "Canuckdisbeliever" numerous times. I think I am more of a realist. I actually like cheering for this team. Been following them since the age of 7 on a very intense manner. I would love to give them praise but this year it has been impossible. Also I am curious to get your take on what the stats indicate. Not sure how they can be seen differently

Maybe what's gone wrong is the wrong title. Maybe it should be can the Canucks correct their weaknesses in time for the playoffs?

Even Jim Hughson on Team 1040 said the Canucks are a hard team to gauge. It's our inconsistency that is a worry. Now what is the source of inconsistency? Injuries? Line up changes? Bad tactics (i.e. the stupid drop pass)? Players like Edler recovering from serious injury?

It is hard to get consistency when you never have a healthy lineup. However, teams like Ottawa get serious injuries and no one there makes excuses. It also is disturbing to see that the Canucks with very few exceptions this season had a full 60 minute effort.

So is the club "coasting" to get in the playoffs? Can the team just "flick a switch" and jump into playoff mode?

Clinching the division in spite of adversity is a good sign. It's just it would be nice seeing the team firing on all cylinders to get an idea of where we are.

Ya, LA's an interesting team. They're the top puck possession team in league by a country mile, have been all season. But their team is riding a very low team SV%, mainly cause Quick is having a bad yr (.910 EV SV% - well below league avg). Bernier has been really good. Curious how Quick does in playoffs, or if maybe they pull a Vancouver and go with Bernier if Quick struggles.

Archived