The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

What do you guys do with your whey protein?

I've just been mixing it in milk.

always water.

Milk contains casein protein which is very slow digesting. The reason why whey i so highly touted is because of its fast absorption rates.

So you're getting the best of both worlds right? Wrong. Casein will slow down the absorbing rate of the whey defeating the purpose of having such a wonderful protein to begin with.

What do you guys do with your whey protein?

I've just been mixing it in milk.

Milk is going to slow down the absorption of your protein. I know at first it's going to taste nasty when you mix your protein in water but add a little bit of fruit in there and you should be fine with the switch.

Milk is going to slow down the absorption of your protein. I know at first it's going to taste nasty when you mix your protein in water but add a little bit of fruit in there and you should be fine with the switch.

That can be debated, if you wanted to you can use coconut milk, it's gluten free and casein free.

Edited by Kent.S

thats true, but i was under the impression that he was talking about regular milk (i know you didnt quote me but i said basically the same thing)

I'm not sure if milk does in fact decrease the amount of absorption. I've heard a lot of arguments both ways, but I use coconut milk for when I'm doing gains.

I love it!

That with a banana and peanut butter tastes so good with my chocolate whey.

Any tips on building the upper part of your chest? My lower chest is okay but no luck with the upper part. Maybe its because I've only been lifting for 10 months (seriously for about 2-3 or so months) and so maybe I just have to keep my patience and let it slowly equal out.

I do dumbell incline and flat press, flys on both incline decline as well. Bench press, dips, cable cross overs.

Any tips on building the upper part of your chest? My lower chest is okay but no luck with the upper part. Maybe its because I've only been lifting for 10 months (seriously for about 2-3 or so months) and so maybe I just have to keep my patience and let it slowly equal out.

I do dumbell incline and flat press, flys on both incline decline as well. Bench press, dips, cable cross overs.

You have the bases more than covered. The issue now is eating enough to grow and just being patient.

i agree with HK but if you are getting enough nutrients then maybe it could be a problem with your routine. What is your chest day routine?

I'm doing something from genetic war right now twice a week for six weeks for overall size. Flat BB, Incline BB, Decline DB, Decline BB. 12 sets total. Various rep ranges

Another question about whey protein. I've noticed that many of them have a high level of cholesterol in them (30-60mg).

Is this unhealthy?

as long as you live an active lifestyle and dont sit around watching tv all day, it shouldnt be too much of a concern.

But if you really are worrying about it, you can try Dymatize ISO 100 which is cholesterol free.

Im no doctor but im pretty sure (dont quote me on this) dietary cholesterol has little effect of blood cholesterol levels.

Edited by canucks#01fan

as long as you live an active lifestyle and dont sit around watching tv all day, it shouldnt be too much of a concern.

But if you really are worrying about it, you can try Dymatize ISO 100 which is cholesterol free.

Im no doctor but im pretty sure (dont quote me on this) dietary cholesterol has little effect of blood cholesterol levels.

You are correct on all counts, especially the bolded. How doctors ever thought dietary cholesterol (read non blood stream ingested cholesterol) had a direct and measurable impact on blood cholesterol boggles my mind.

i agree with HK but if you are getting enough nutrients then maybe it could be a problem with your routine. What is your chest day routine?

I'm good with nutrients I believe (record it with myfitnesspal), I eat around the 3000-3500 calorie range.

As for chest workout

First is bench press for 4 sets.

Second hop over and sometimes do flat bench dumbbell press. 3-4 sets

Third Flat flies 3-4 sets

Fourth incline dumbbell press 4 sets

Fifth incline flies 4 sets

Sixth is dips 4 sets

Seventh I finish with cable cross overs for 4 sets... Then I finish up my back excercises and depending on how I feel I might go back to cable cross overs for another couple of sets.

I'm doing something from genetic war right now twice a week for six weeks for overall size. Flat BB, Incline BB, Decline DB, Decline BB. 12 sets total. Various rep ranges

Haven't done any decline stuff, may try it sometime during the summer, how do you like it?

Edited by PlayStation

I'm good with nutrients I believe (record it with myfitnesspal), I eat around the 3000-3500 calorie range.

As for chest workout

Sixth is dips 4 sets

Seventh I finish with cable cross overs for 4 sets... Then I finish up my back excercises and depending on how I feel I might go back to cable cross overs for another couple of sets.

Haven't done any decline stuff, may try it sometime during the summer, how do you like it?

try doing incline first with dumbells. Your routine looks good, the only thing i could see that MIGHT be a cause for your problek is that you could be tired by the time you get to your incline movements

try doing incline first with dumbells. Your routine looks good, the only thing i could see that MIGHT be a cause for your problek is that you could be tired by the time you get to your incline movements

Nope, I do just as many reps in incline as I do with flat.

May just take more time, or be genetics.

As for chest workout

Sixth is dips 4 sets

Seems like overkill to me.  The key to progress is NOT doing 17 different exercises, but progressively overloading (either more weight or more reps, or both) the big movements and doing 1-2 'filler' exercises. If you want to focus on upper chest, do two incline exercises first, (I'd do incline BB bench 4x6-8 followed by incline DB bench 4-5x10) then throw in some flat bench and dips.

I wouldn't worry with decline if the goal is the upper chest because decline is primarily a target for the pectoralis major (lower 2/3rds) or the chest and has litle if any affect on the upper chest.

Sidenote:  How much pulling are you doing?  You are doing a lot of pushing exercises which can cause some serious shoulder issues like your shoulders being pulled foward because the muscles of the back are overpowered by the muscles of the chest. I also can't imagine your back work is anything more than cursory if you're doing 7 push exercises first.

Edited by Henrik Kesler
  • Upvote 1