Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Why is it always OUR offence that evaporates?

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#1 Canuckler87

Canuckler87

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

Is it a coincidence that our offense evaporates most out of all the teams that have consistently made the playoffs in the last few years? I refuse to believe it. 13 goals in the last 11 playoff games. I don't care if you put Patrick Roy in net during his prime.. you simply are not going to win playoff games at almost a goal a game pace. So the onus should be on our top scorers and coaching staff to do more. A lot more.

What adjustments do you guys think have to be made to score more goals? I think first and foremost, to score goals in the playoffs you have to have determination and grit. Crash the net, get in the goalies kitchen. Stand there and take the hacks and wacks. Make them uncomfortable. Yet all i saw yesterday were say a prayer shots from Raymond and unconfident, double clutching Sedin twins.

Skill can only take you so far when it comes to scoring goals in the playoffs. You have to WANT it. Don't look for the perfect plays, just fire at the net. Shoot at Niemis pads and get rebounds that way. Daniel needs to not think to much and just shoot.. he's looking like Henrik out there.

I also suggest stacking the lines like some teams do in the playoffs. It is known to have success. Just look at Getzlaf, Perry and Ryan line a couple years ago. Very difficult to contain. We can have two stacked lines with the players we have. Putting weaker players with better ones will not make the weaker players significantly better (unless your Crosby like talent wise).

What are some of your guys suggestions? Is this more of a coaching thing or something players have to fix from within? Clearly offense is what is wrong here. If we score more than a goal a game I believe we have the defense and goaltending to go deep this year. Go Canucks!

Edited by Canuckler87, 02 May 2013 - 01:22 PM.

#2 Van40

Van40

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

Ever since the power play dried up in the 2011 Scf, the canucks cant seem to score. Guys like Raymond, Higgins, and Burrows need to step up if the focus of the opposing team is always on the Sedins and Kes

#3 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

POPULAR

That's what happens when you have a defenisve style coach, who is afraid of taking chances, which shouldn't be the case when you have 2 of the best goalies behind you, just bad coaching.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#4 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

POPULAR

That's what happens when you have a defenisve style coach, who is afraid of taking chances, which shouldn't be the case when you have 2 of the best goalies behind you, just bad coaching.

Is this necessarily the case though with our D man always jumping up into plays and taking calculated chances as opposed to wheel & deal style that was the WCE era?

and I think it's more that the team relies too heavily on the Sedins to produce

#5 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

POPULAR

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows line is too predictable. Teams know all you gotta do is be physical on them and stop the cycle. Why not try Kassian and Kesler there more? The acquisition of Roy allows us to play with those options and give our offense versatility and different looks. AV is scared to use those line combos unless the game is pretty much out of reach with barely any time left. Put Garrison on the top unit on the PP as well, to me it's been a no-brainer ever since the start of the season.

#6 CupisAll

CupisAll

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

POPULAR

offence evaporates becuase gillis hasn't addressed the glaring issue since 2011 SFC, the lack of nhl calibre goal scorers.
honestly which group of forwards would you rather have, the sharks or ours?

#7 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

offence evaporates becuase gillis hasn't addressed the glaring issue since 2011 SFC, the lack of nhl calibre goal scorers.
honestly which group of forwards would you rather have, the sharks or ours?

That's the funny thing.
I would say we are very evenly matched but we still have the slight edge

When you include the defence and goalie as well, no doubt about it. We should beat these guys.

#8 CupisAll

CupisAll

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

take off the homer glasses and give your head a shake

#9 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:51 PM

Is this necessarily the case though with our D man always jumping up into plays and taking calculated chances as opposed to wheel & deal style that was the WCE era?

and I think it's more that the team relies too heavily on the Sedins to produce

The only reason the team relies on the Sedins to produce is because they are so much more offesnively talented and can get the job done normally. It's the fact that it's the coaches job to get secondary scoring out of his other players, and the players who are able to produce he doesn't even put them together, because he's more interested in playing his defensive shut down game. Instead of looking at, making offensive lines like having Roy centering the 2nd line, who has such great vision to set up players to score goals, he decides to go with his more shut down depth lines. Then the D see the lines aren't getting the job done offensively and they are frustrated, so they feel they will do what they can to try and get the job done which then puts them out of position.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup, 03 May 2013 - 01:18 AM.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#10 vavoom

vavoom

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

POPULAR

I don't agree with AV's philosophy of adapting to the opposition. We are the favorites, they should adapt their game to ours.

#11 Pistachios

Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

It's the playoffs so you have to accept tight checking defensive games (assuming both teams are playing well defensively). My guess is AV will shake the lines up a bit for Friday's game and *hopefully* the team can generate more offense.

The Canucks definitely have the players to do it. Time to step up now or say hello to an early golf season.
lZqI3g.gif

#12 CupisAll

CupisAll

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

"I don't agree with AV's philosophy of adapting to the opposition. We are the favorites, they should adapt their game to ours."

there's no way we're favorites with the pea shooter offence we have

Edited by CupisAll, 02 May 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#13 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

take off the homer glasses and give your head a shake

Lol are you being serious?
I would take our lineup over the Sharks anyday. (minus AV)

#14 CupisAll

CupisAll

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

forwards, we're talking about forwards

#15 jigsaw99

jigsaw99

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

"I don't agree with AV's philosophy of adapting to the opposition. We are the favorites, they should adapt their game to ours."

there's no way we're favorites with the pea shooter offence we have

our offensive is as good as the sharks. Sedins/Kesler/Roy/Higgins/Burrows/Raymond can all score.

We also have more 2 way defense-mans than they have.

#16 Johnny_Drama

Johnny_Drama

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

POPULAR

Marleau Thornton couture burns pavelski havlat > Sedins Burrows Kesler Roy higgins/raymond
"Victory!"

#17 jigsaw99

jigsaw99

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

Regular season stats:

Goals for Canuucks: 127
Goals for Sharks: 124

CBJ put for almost as many goals as the Sharks with Letsestu as their leading scorer. Quit making excuses for AV and the coaching staff like they have nothing to work with.

Edited by jigsaw99, 02 May 2013 - 02:16 PM.

#18 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,763 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

Av can't coach offense? Iono
Posted Image

Thank you Roberto =(

#19 Kryten

Kryten

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

Have to drive the net and go to the dirty areas. That is how you win in the playoffs. Too many of our players played this game without the necessary intensity to succeed. Their teammates who did show up should be p***** off and let everyone know it, so expect better execution in game 2. If they don't step it up, we will not be heading to the second round and will most likely be heading to the golf course before the Islanders get there.
Posted Image

#20 Ohnoeszz

Ohnoeszz

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

When you dump and chase every play with a roster only half-designed for that.....

#21 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

Well the thing is, in a cap world, you need to choose how to spend your money. I think you have to look at the team overall because sure we can load up our forwards but then we'd prob need to get rid of some d-men.

Overall we did a better job than SJ and this team should be able to beat SJ which is how MG built this team.

That being said, we missed a great opportunity this year with the amount of cap space wasted on guys like Booth, Ballard and Lu.
thats almost 14m not being used in the line up. and in that sens, I guess we could have used 2 top 6 forwards with that much cap space.

Hindsight is 20/20

If we had a do-over, I would go back to the summer and trade Lu for Schenn and then flipped him for JVR
I would trade Ballard (because AV will never play him properly) for whatever I can get
I would trade Booth for whatever I can get.

I would sign UFAs
Brandon Prust
Jagr

#22 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

POPULAR

Hodgson would have helped with our offense.

#23 jigsaw99

jigsaw99

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

Defenseman's goals count on the score sheet too..

Boyle with the winner last night.

Edited by jigsaw99, 02 May 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#24 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

Too much money in goaltending......can't believe people wonder why we don't have offense
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#25 Canuckler87

Canuckler87

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler seems like it's worth a shot to me. Kes has played right wing before and he had a ton of success with that when Sundin was centering him. I'd say Hank is a pretty good center.. and with Daniel on the other side it makes the line all the more lethal.

#26 CANUCK-EXPRESS

CANUCK-EXPRESS

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

Our offence is predictable eg. Sedins and Burrows and AV is a defensive type coach.

#27 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,554 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

Have to drive the net and go to the dirty areas. That is how you win in the playoffs. Too many of our players played this game without the necessary intensity to succeed. Their teammates who did show up should be p***** off and let everyone know it, so expect better execution in game 2. If they don't step it up, we will not be heading to the second round and will most likely be heading to the golf course before the Islanders get there.

True.

If you noticed, they piled 3-4 guys in front of their net when we got a sniff of it...that's why Raffi scored an own goal there. Hard to score without clearing out some rubbish first.

Posted Image

#28 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

because no matter how good we are no matter how good our offense/defense/goaltending is, something always happens to this team in the playoffs that makes us not win the cup. People say there's no "curse" but I really don't know how else to explain what happens to this team come playoff time.

#29 Tr4ilerP4rk

Tr4ilerP4rk

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

Because our offense is the Sedins, and the Sedins are what evaporates come playoff time.

#30 Strombone1

Strombone1

GDT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

I dont remember us scoring dirty goals 2 years ago on the way to the SCF.

Commissioner of 2014-2015 Shapheat Fantasy Hockey League

Player of the Game - Wall of Fame
2014-15 GDT Registrations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.