The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey Science

Interesting. I've love to see their methodology to come up with that stat.

If it's true, I would think it has a lot to do with the protective gear football players wear that takes a lot of the energy from the hit. Of course, that's not really applicable to the NHL because without face shields the NHL is already at the limit of the amount of protective gear they can allow the players to wear.

Makes sense considering the speed of being on skates and getting hit into the boards. I wonder what would be harder though, a really hard blind side hit like Gryba on Eller or a blind side safety hitting a wide receiver helmet to helmet.

Interesting. I've love to see their methodology to come up with that stat.

If it's true, I would think it has a lot to do with the protective gear football players wear that takes a lot of the energy from the hit. Of course, that's not really applicable to the NHL because without face shields the NHL is already at the limit of the amount of protective gear they can allow the players to wear.

Anyone having any luck finding any more information? I've checked ESPN but can't find any reference to it that stat.

Apparently, Sport Science is "The Emmy Award-winning TV series, hosted by John Brenkus, uncovers sports' biggest myths and mysteries by using cutting-edge technology to measure momentum, friction and the laws of gravity." So, they may have just compared a hit of each kind somehow and decided they were good enough to stand in for all hits in each league, rather than having actually done research during real games to get a decent data set from real hits.

That's a pretty unscientific statistic. What hits are they talking about?

Obviously a hard NHL hit is harder than a hard NFL hit because the guys are moving that much faster, and you see the oftentimes far more devastating results of those hits. But those big ones are few and far in-between in the NHL. Most guys aren't throwing open ice hits at a high enough speed to make up for the gap in size compared to NFL players, in addition to the fact that most hits in the NFL have the guy charging right into his target or slamming him into the ground, not coasting into him like the majority of hockey hits.

Archived