The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If we lose series do we fire AV ?

tracyjordan

The problem with Gillis is that he looks at players from a player agent point of view. He saw Kassian as a "potential" power forward and convinced himself that he was one. A player agents' job is to look at a player in the best possible light, and Gillis is guilty of doing this.

I don't trust Gillis and the moneypuck strategy. I'm not even sure what exactly his requirements are for a player. When he first got here, all he talked about was conditioning and intelligence. Now he only wants size. This summer he'll be all about offense. I dont think even he knows what identity he wants for the team anymore.

The problem with Gillis is that he looks at players from a player agent point of view. He saw Kassian as a "potential" power forward and convinced himself that he was one. A player agents' job is to look at a player in the best possible light, and Gillis is guilty of doing this.

I don't trust Gillis and the moneypuck strategy. I'm not even sure what exactly his requirements are for a player. When he first got here, all he talked about was conditioning and intelligence. Now he only wants size. This summer he'll be all about offense. I dont think even he knows what identity he wants for the team anymore.

I sure hope so but I think they will use tanev and Schneider's injuries, possibly Kesler's flu and other misc bumps and bruises as excuses to mask his complete incompetence to coach playoff games.... just like previous years... I never liked his hiring but at least defense-only system and grind out 1-0 or 2-1 win made sense when we had no one but Luongo to rely on back in 2007... it is 2013 now and av's best before date had expired by approximately 2-3 years

At 32 going on 33, the Sedins still have life in them.

I'm convinced that hiring the right coach could rejuvenate them and some of the other vets.

At the same time a new coach who is also good and "teaching" and developing youth would help as we need to start adding some fresh, young players.

If we do that and MG can make a trade or two to add some scoring or find it thru FA, we can extend this "window" with this group a number of years

I don't agree with a lot of the hate AV gets. I think he's been an excellent coach here and people forget how refreshing it was to have a coach who was entertaining in interviews. He's also brought along much of our best talent from Winnepeg to Van and so on.

But I also believe coaches have an expiry date in major sports leagues. And the player-coach dynamic is sort of like being a pro chef/cook. You can only stay at the resteraunt so long before you've learned everything you can from that particular place. Similarly I think players need new coaches from time to time to keep them thinking about the game or changing teir perspective.

I do believe AVs time is done if they do anything short of a finals appearance.

But I do not believe he's the evil dummy people seem to want to blame him as. You don't become a teams winningest coach in 40+ years by fluke or luck and I'd you're going to blame him for the bad then you have to credit him with the good.

But yes. If the team bows out its time for a change. But he is NOT the only change needed if that's the case.

I am sure AV will be the first person to go. I don't think MG's job is on the line but he might be down to a final year left. A new coach with a new philosophy and ideas would be a welcome change. I just look at how Toronto has played since Carlyle took over. Not much talent but a lot of drive and determination.

The whole core is stale. Ill be so happy when AV is gone but its not enough. Id give MG another year to fix his mess but if he doesn't change up this core in the summer he should be on the hot seat if he already isn't.

I don't know how you can come back with this same core and expect fans to feel any sort of optimism in the team. Getting rid of Luongo, Ballard and Booth.. 2 of which are not even playing in this series does not count as changing the core. IMO Raymond is as good as gone and one of our top 4 d-men should be traded. I would even look at trading Burrows altho im not sure the return would be worth it. That looks like another terrible contact in the making.

Archived