The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If we lose series do we fire AV ?

tracyjordan

I don't agree with a lot of the hate AV gets. I think he's been an excellent coach here and people forget how refreshing it was to have a coach who was entertaining in interviews. He's also brought along much of our best talent from Winnepeg to Van and so on.

But I also believe coaches have an expiry date in major sports leagues. And the player-coach dynamic is sort of like being a pro chef/cook. You can only stay at the resteraunt so long before you've learned everything you can from that particular place. Similarly I think players need new coaches from time to time to keep them thinking about the game or changing teir perspective.

I do believe AVs time is done if they do anything short of a finals appearance.

But I do not believe he's the evil dummy people seem to want to blame him as. You don't become a teams winningest coach in 40+ years by fluke or luck and I'd you're going to blame him for the bad then you have to credit him with the good.

But yes. If the team bows out its time for a change. But he is NOT the only change needed if that's the case.

MG will not get fired. He will get one offseason to either:

a. Fire AV, Make trades/signings

b. If he doesn't fire AV, then MG will have to make some HUGE offseson moves to bring us back to contender or for a total rebuild, but that will be difficult with all the NM clauses he has handed out.

It looks like AV's days are numbered, and you can see it in his eyes during the interview. He's feeling the heat now.

Yes, he should be fired. The entire coaching staff should be fired. We need a new system. It should be apparent to everyone that AV's system has run stagnant. I bet you anything AV's system is the reason for our lack of scoring. Sedins are still elite players, but they can't do much in this system. They need a new coach who can get them to change it up because AV sure isn't doing it. I bet a lot of our problems could have been solved if AV was fired last year.

It would be AVs fault. He has coached the same system of play for the last six years. Dump puck in corner and cycle the puck. Work puck up to the corners for a shot and collapse to the net for the rebound. The thing is that every other playoff team has figured how to defend against this--it is the Chicago Blackhawks style.

What we really need is a north south game. More shots off the rush and less throwing the puck in the corner. It also means more pressure on the defence. Turnovers will happen and there should be more goals.

I have never been a fan of AV or his system, I believe they made the SCF game 7 in spite of his system and not the other way around.

The Sedins are not players to build around for the playoffs, their talents are best suited for the regular season where the fore check and back check are less aggressive.

MG knew the team had to get bigger, stronger etc. and failed to do so.

Time for the ownership to move in a different direction with their management, again it is my belief they will do so.

Archived