The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Beaten up Abbotsford student asks why police weren't called

canuckbeliever

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...alled-1.2053620

I would like to say this is an isolated incident at 1 school but it really isnt. High schools allow bullying to happen and turn a blind eye to it likes it nobodies business. Yet its the same folks that wear a pink shirt and pretend they give a crap every february. They brag about how there school doesnt promote bullying when that couldnt be further from the truth.

Unfortunately, when brave kids stand up to cowards with weapons, this tends to happen. It could've been worse too, I'm glad that he's at least okay. Seems like fights nowadays are all 10 on 1, or someone has a weapon.

What's really disgusting is that even if the police had been called right away, this kid is going to get a "tsk-tsk" from the justice system and be sent on his way. Then he gets to go back to school, all high and mighty, while the victim will continue to suffer.

Until our kids are raised properly, until our consequences for destructive anti-social behaviour grows more serious, until our society changes it's "meh" views when they see something like this happening, things will just continue on as is.

yeah !!! dont you hate people that support causes they believe are important ??? its not generalizing at all , to say that all the people wearing those pink shirts are douchebags , and that we all like to watch fights ..

We need to be brave Chip ... not through violence , but by standing together to teach people how unacceptable it is to bully someone .. I know you believe that too , or at least I hope that you do .

It was an assault.. people (teachers, administrators, students) like to think whatever happens within a school is only school business.. it isn't. If somebody batons someone in the head in Walmart it isn't up to Walmart to interview everyone and sort things out before calling the police. Once a crime has been committed police need to be able to do their investigation, lay charges, etc. This is how things get swept under the rug, or students begin to change their stories one way or another. Once legal charges have been made then the school can make their decision.

It's just like calling this "bullying" - which it is not. It's assault.

Edit: In this case it worked out because the ambulance drivers called police - also to clarify the issue is with the questioning/investigation which needs to be handled by people trained in asking the right questions when criminal charges are a possibility.

Obviously the school is going to find out what it can, but should back off once they realize a crime has been committed - which they may have done. The youth was arrested and charged - there is still the possibility that he is not convicted. Again, the procedure of calling the police has to do with whether or not charges will stick - in this case, being so obvious, hopefully they will.

yeah !!! dont you hate people that support causes they believe are important ??? its not generalizing at all , to say that all the people wearing those pink shirts are douchebags , and that we all like to watch fights ..

We need to be brave Chip ... not through violence , but by standing together to teach people how unacceptable it is to bully someone .. I know you believe that too , or at least I hope that you do .

right, and the police were brought in were they not? The complaint is that they were not immediately called, but I don't see what difference that makes. Bringing the police into a school situation is a fine line and I'm sure the school wanted to sort it out a bit before involving the police. That's pretty standard policy and it's common sense. The paramedics were immediately called, and that's the important element......the safety and well being of the student.

Archived