The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Declined Kevin Bieksa for Alexander Steen

Strombone1

Steen will not keep this ridiculous pace up. Just look at his abnornally high shooting %. He will regress. The question is how much. I could easily picture him being a reliable 30 goal scorer. I coukd also easily picture him going back to hisbold self.

I live bieksa when he plays with a sense of urgency and intensity. When he's mr relaxed he is like a poor mans jay boumeester but smaller and not as skilled. When kev and edler go into their "relaxed" gear they are awful and they seem to think they're the 2nd coming of Nicklas lidstrom or something while they do it.

This is one of the reasons I've proposed getting Matt carkner and John Scott to pair up with them. They would have a lot of pressure to carry the pairing and be forced to play with urgency at all times. They would also probably be braver and alot more physical while the heavyweights would add some much needed hardcore physicality and intimidation back there

I would absolutely not have traded Bieksa for Steen then or now.

Bieksa provides something on the back end that nobody else does and nobody coming up will. Plus, Bieksa is one of those character guys in the room that you need and that this team arguably needs more of. I think Steen will come back to Earth soon enough and perform on the level he has most of his career. He isn't an elite player, it'll show eventually. Those numbers that he has posted for much of his career are indicative of what the Blues really have with him..

if I was mg, I would go try to get schenn( if he was drafted yet/ 1st round draft pick) I would of done it

steen

L schenn

for

bieksa

Well they probably would not have at that time but now they desperately need a shutdown dman like Bieksa with all of the chances they are giving up

Heart and soul my ass. Where has it gotten the Canucks so far?

Did he do anything when the Sedins got Marchand? How about when Daniel got Keith'd. Or when Luongo got Brown'd. Or How about tonight when Lack got Duck'd???

He's been on ice for 10 goals against 5 on 5. He's always injured and he's always casual

Kev.

Trade him before anyone else realizes what a turd we have in our top D pairing.

Did he do anything when the Sedins got Marchand? How about when Daniel got Keith'd. Or when Luongo got Brown'd. Or How about tonight when Lack got Duck'd???

He's been on ice for 10 goals against 5 on 5. He's always injured and he's always casual

Kev.

:bigblush:

Kev.

Oh, just the Stanley Cup Finals...no big deal, really

Toronto can try all it wants to make itself feel better about losing yet another deal.

Their misery desperately needs company.

But the difference here is that the Leafs had Steen - and they shopped him...for Stempniak.

The Canucks on the other hand opted not to deal the young defenseman who, alongside Willie Mitchell, composed their shutdown pairing and was puting up a whole lot of offensive production in the process.

The Canucks really have no second guessing to do. They kept their homegrown talent.

The Leafs on the other hand...

We may as well be asking whether we would deal Bieksa for Lee Stempniak? It's about as relevant at this point.

A few years back Bieksa was the CDC whipping boy and you all wanted him traded.

And Rey is correct, these comparisons to Cheechoo are unfair, the guy had serious knee injuries which ruined his career. respect to the guy for trying to come back from injuries such as that.

As for this trade I can see why some of you wouldn't of done it back then as Steen wasn't fully developed. If that trade was offered now I would do it. Bieksa is an ok defenseman who does get sheltered by his partners.

And keep him because of his toughness? He hasn't shown toughness consistently for quite a while (pick and chooses his moments)

OK, so who is our toughest D man if it isn't Bieksa? Edler, Hamhuis, Garrison, Tanev, Stanton (but I do like the toughness Ryan brings)? Gimme a break!

And for all the Ehrhoff lovers out there, I could never understand why Ehrhoff just stood there watching as Daniel Sedin was crushed into the boards by the Sharks' Ben Eager in the playoffs in 2011. Bieksa would've come to his defense if he was on the ice. Here is the link to the video of the Eager hit:

If we ever give up Bieksa, we'd better replace him with a big, tough and skilled D man. Me, I want to see Juice retire as a Canuck.

The trade at that time would have been an awful trade for Canuck fans up until this year. This year could be an anamoly or it could be Steen reaching his potential and continue on but if that trade was taken back then, CDC would have had a meltdown. There is no way that was a fair trade back then for the Canucks.

Also, am I the only one that finds it kind of funny that Steen at the age of 24 gets traded and at the time Toronto fans called him a bust but at the same time CDC is jumping on Kassian at the age of 23 saying he will never be anything but a fourth liner?

Archived