The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Collective feeling on Tort's 'antics'?

Steve Carell

It's one of the rare times I'm going to disagree with you.

There are no lines anymore...they've been blurred for some time.

You have refs mouthing, on ice in full view, that someone's a *$%# *$&#

You have refs take a skate with an "I'm watching you" threat, because that's basically what it is.

You have inconsistent calls and players getting hurt as a result.

And then you have an entire week of crap. 7 minute power plays then the start to this game.

So there are no lines. This has become a gong show and Torts is simply a product of that at this point.

And this makes the issues glaring vs continually swept away each night. Let's bring it all to the forefront.

We're never gonna win in this league anyhow. Bush league. There's no respect to be tossed our way regardless of whether the team plays like angels or devils. Doesn't matter AT ALL.

And now it's an us against them mentality. Torts led the charge in that.

Fair point, but what do we really gain from Torts going to their dressing room? I don't think we stand to gain anything from that at all.

It was the heat of the moment. He lost it.

But it brings attention, in a big way, to a guy pushed to the brink. A team pushed to brink. And this week's escapades will simply be an exclamation point to that.

It's time that we get some glaring light on this league and the inequalities and, well, BS.

Sure, we'll pay a price...but don't we always anyhow.

So now, we fight back. And teams and the league are thinking "holy crap, they're nuts".

It wouldn't be my first choice, but it is what it is. And the guy went to bat ... he'd seen, heard and had enough. Like many of us.

The league's been trying to break this team's back for awhile. So let's have at 'er then.

And it brings this team together, as I've said, in a total "us vs them" way. Unifies a team when their leader goes to bat like that. Takes the heat for them. Stands up, despite the consequences, to call out a dirty deed.

Don't know if this was reported her yet but Farhan reporting that Torts will have a hearing with the league in New York. Not a good sign.

Totorella's a 'Nuck now...likely - NO more 0-6 protections or having the League Head Offices just around the corner...like he had in NY.

If Colin Campbell is to be his judge & jury here...you think a little sympathy or leniency would be in order....especially since he, Burkie, Murph & Shanny screwed over VAN so shamelessly in the past...at every turn...even out of a CUP. At some point youd think a guilty conscience would kick in. Oh excuse me...one needs a conscience or a semblance of integrity for that.

Hoping this League genuinely looks at the consequences levied at Patrick Roy this year... and Tortorella will get something on par with that. Is there proof that Tortorella was trying to fight Mr. Hartley - no... or did he just need to tell Hartley a few important things before the next period started. Doesnt a VAN coach have the right to be very frustrated after the refereeing debaucles of the past few games. But - throwing a hefty suspension at VANs newly enlighted (to the ways of this league) coach....well.....itd be complete over-kill.....dont ya think. Instead... just go say hi to Gregory - Mr. C & ask to see his ring.

Fair point, but what do we really gain from Torts going to their dressing room? I don't think we stand to gain anything from that at all.

sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to stick up for your team. it's not like this team is respected around the league much anyways. can't get no worse

It was the heat of the moment. He lost it.

But it brings attention, in a big way, to a guy pushed to the brink. A team pushed to brink. And this week's escapades will simply be an exclamation point to that.

It's time that we get some glaring light on this league and the inequalities and, well, BS.

Sure, we'll pay a price...but don't we always anyhow.

So now, we fight back. And teams and the league are thinking "holy crap, they're nuts".

It wouldn't be my first choice, but it is what it is. And the guy went to bat ... he'd seen, heard and had enough. Like many of us.

The league's been trying to break this team's back for awhile. So let's have at 'er then.

And it brings this team together, as I've said, in a total "us vs them" way. Unifies a team when their leader goes to bat like that. Takes the heat for them. Stands up, despite the consequences, to call out a dirty deed.

sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to stick up for your team. it's not like this team is respected around the league much anyways. can't get no worse

While I agree that fighting back is better than just taking the crap and not doing anything about it, I think its a pick your poison kind of situation. We all have had enough, and it really has gotten ridiculous, but its not like shining a light on its going to do anything, the league knows exactly what they are doing. So yes, it's great we are sticking up for one another now, and that feels good right now, but the crap is just going to keep flowing and flowing until we all drown in it.

Tortorella did this because he's building a team mentality. These last few games, he's got everyone standing up for each other like they never have before, and he's leading the charge in this game.

We all remember the big knock on the Canucks was that they would get beat around and abused at will, especially against Boston and Chicago. Torts has come in and completely reversed that mentality and it's fantastic. EVERYONE is standing up for everyone else, from 4th liners to top-6 forwards to our top defencemen to our head coach.

This will bode well for the Canucks in the playoffs. Torts is getting his players to play for each other and that will start to show soon enough.

Any Canucks fan who thinks what Tortorella did was wrong is too far gone to deal with.

This team needs a catalyst and Torts is just that. His passion for seeing this team be treated with respect is unparalleled in the history of the franchise.

He stood up not only for the team, but for it's history, and us, the fans who support them.

Will the NHL, with the gutless core of Bettman, Daly, Campbell, and Shanahan look to make an example of him? Sure. Is it worth it?

Hell yes!

no one on calagry was going to do somthing stupid like skate after the canucks and start swinging at them if they didnt want to fight....the whole protect his players thing is garbage.... look at what happend with bieksa and westgarth , westgarth didnt throw 1 punch because bieksa didnt drop his mitts... if we started a line of kesler higgins hansen... chances are they skate around those goons and score a goal to open the game and no one get kicked out.... its not like it was bad blood between the 2 team or anything... there is no way in todays game an entire line is going to mug the other team off the draw if they dont want to fight.... thats why i think torts is out to lunch if he thinks he was protecting his guys..... hes just as much at fault if not more for what happend to start the game because he had the chance to kill it by putting skilled players out or let it happen by matching up which he did and then to say his hands were tied in the matter is garbage...

Yeah because not standing up for ourselves has really worked, that is such an AV thought process. We were being bullied all the time since the 2011 SCF and now with Torts it's as if the players realized enough is enough.

You can't use the "our PP will get them back" because our PP has sucked the past 2 seasons and a half. This team needed to stand up for itself as no one else was going to, Torts came in and led the charge. I for one completely support Tortorella and am glad that he got this team to send a message.

I agree with his decision to put the 4th line out to start the game.

But going after the Flames in the hallway outside their locker room is pushing the limit for sure. That's a line you don't cross. Settle scores on the ice. Don't let it become a personal, physical, and verbal battle. It's tough because he has so much passion. But it's something I have learned throughout the course of my career as a hockey player. Being passionate about something it's not excuse you from taking actions that endanger other people. And being passionate about something certainly does not mean that you can be emotional about a situation and cross the line

Boy this really isn't going to help our image across the league. Talk about being the most hated team eh!

I love being the most hated team.

Note this is the Calgary dressing room and not Vancouver's. If Torts got lost along the way he should be fired. i don't understand why we constantly justify poor behavior by our teams. Let's cheer for them while they're great, but let's not make sorry excuses for them when they screw up.

You again?

I see you put the same effort into this post as you've into your proposals in the Armchair GM section. Bravo!

Loved it, absolutely loved it.

It's common knowledge by now that it doesn't matter what the Canucks, the team and us as a fan base are always going to be the most hated thing going.

We get flak for being too soft and not standing up, so we get tough, buckle down and stand up for each other, then we get called a bunch of classless, talentless goons.

It doesn't matter what we do, the league and fans all over the continent will continue to hate and poop on the Canucks, so we might as well roll with it and GIVE them a reason to hate us.

Myself, I would have loved to see Torts drop Hartley, right in the lockerroom.

Funny thing is, if it was any other coach and any other team, analysts and that A-Hole, talentless hack PJ Stock would go on and on about how nice it is to see heart and desire and the fire to win, but because he's Torts and we're thw Canucks, we're dirty, classless, goons, and we all deserve suspensions/fines/paying the price because our colors are blue and green and our chests say "Vancouver."

i have no problem with him responding to the "4th line"

but going into the Flames dressing room was overboard and unprofessional.

because of that, i fully expect:

1. Flames will get fined

2. Torts will be suspended 10-15 games

3. Canucks and Torts will be fined

Yup, the good ol' 50 lashes for being blue and green. Gotta love it.

Yup, the good ol' 50 lashes for being blue and green. Gotta love it.

As per Bob McKenzie

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

5h

Also in 1999 pre-season, WSH GM George McPhee suspended 1 month and fined $20,000 for punching CHI coach Lorne Molleken in off-ice incident.

One month is roughly 10-15 games. I can also see him getting 20 games

This is where i based my estimation on. Not because he is blue and green, but because it was a stupid move.

As per Bob McKenzie

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

5h

Also in 1999 pre-season, WSH GM George McPhee suspended 1 month and fined $20,000 for punching CHI coach Lorne Molleken in off-ice incident.

One month is roughly 10-15 games. I can also see him getting 20 games

This is where i based my estimation on. Not because he is blue and green, but because it was a stupid move.

It's a good thing Torts didn't lay a finger on Hartley then.

Archived