The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bob Hartley Fined $25,000

I don't quite understand this ... so now, no teams are allowed to start their 4th line as a visiting team? What the hell is that? Can you start your 3rd line? What about 3rd center with 2 wingers that are fighters ...

No, you're not allowed to send out your fourth liners and instruct them to start a line brawl:

A person in position to know of such things, but who must remain nameless, has said that Kevin Bieksa, who apparently knows Calgary’s Kevin Westgarth, was told during their extended discussion at centre ice before the brawl started that the Flames tough guy admitted they’d been sent out to make something happen.

I've read your posts. I don't care if Torts has started his fourth liners before, and I don't care what your interpretation of "make something happen is". There's no excuse for directing all of your starting forwards to instigate fights and if somehow you think it was Hartley's intention to do otherwise, you need to get your eyes checked.

If every fourth line that ever started a game in NHL history instigated line brawls, you wouldn't see fighting in the game ever again.

Don't expect a reply. I know you're just gonna call me a homer.

As stated before, I agree with the fine but wonder about the consistency. Sabres fined $100-thousand because they lined up John Scott against Phil Kessel? If you look at the tape, it is obvious all Calgary Flamers were not going the play the puck once the puck dropped. That's a direct attack on players directed by the coach. Just as bad as Rolston's directive methinks.

Hey guys I'm watching the sharks and flames game and that goon line is hemming the sharks in their zone...Westgarth even scored a goal assist by McGrattan. Could this be poor pre game scouting by Nucks coaching staff? Cause I looked up the flames vs jets game and that 4th line was a plus that night also.

As for the fine I guess seems fair but torts got hit hard!

Can't really complain about either ruling. Only question I have is why the Sabres got a $100k fine and Hartley got away with $25k for the same thing?

Can't really complain about either ruling. Only question I have is why the Sabres got a $100k fine and Hartley got away with $25k for the same thing?

it was $25 K to hartley.... & not $100 K to the team like the Sabres got ....because there's the obligatory 50% discount or better....for being a team in the BOG Chairman's voting-block. And - there's an additional 50% discount...for having a league power-monger & key king-pin like Brian Burke, as their President of Hockey Operations. 'Cuz Burkie has certainly amassed an awful lot of NHL favors ...to call back-in.... don't ya think?

Archived