The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA VS FINLAND BRONZE MEDAL MATCH

-DLC-

Congratulations Finland! Congrats Teeemu and Selanne!

I absolutely love the way they play the game.

Bronze matters.

Can't really ask for more than a Teemu Selanne game winning goal and one for icing in his Finnish finale.

24 goals in 37 Olympic games for Selanne is simply unreal against that quality of competition.

And cliche, but as classy as the sport has ever seen.

Hard to imagine anyone ever scoring 76 goals as a rookie and then still one of the best players in the world in his 40s.

Simply the best.

? I didn't see any of the game.

Kesler and Callahan were throwing their heart and soul into their uniform - and continued to even with their team down.

As the commentators pointed out, Callahan was blocking Sami Salo shots when the game was clearly over.

Pride - of the good kind. They refused to embarrass themselves, and they represented as they should.

I'm not going to pretend there aren't guys on the Canadian roster who wouldn't mail it in - but imo that's not how the game should be played - and the guys that show up in these games and give everything also happen to be the real players that put your team over the top when they win. Nothing has ever disgusted me more about Canadian hockey than when that crap has oozed out of Canadian's attitudes in the past. It's essentially an insult to all your opponents - that is ending up where it rightly should - right back in your face. If I'm the coach and my team pulls that performance - I rip (most of) them - and don't care if it's the last game of the tournament. You start to build for the future right now. I just learned a whole lot about who represents that country the next time they put that uniform on.

Finland approached that medal as it should be imo - with respect. The pretense that a bronze isn't worth working for or doesn't mean anything is snotty, elitist crap that takes being one of the best three teams in the world for granted. It's arrogance of the wrong kind - like the spoiled little sweet 16 kid that's crying because they 'only' got a Lexus when they wanted a Lamborghini. I think this is a teachable moment where the veterans and leaders need to make a measured statement that while part of it is slightly understandable, it is at the same time completely unacceptable. It's the Olympics and a world stage. Getting chippy and undisciplined, while floating your way to getting your asses kicked is a sign of a real need to grow some more character.

Today's 5-0 loss to Finland for Bronze and yesterday's 1-0 loss to Canada was the first time that Team USA has been shutout in consecutive games since the 1936 Berlin Olympics! USA & Penguins coach Dan Bylsma admits “Losing that game to Canada, it took a lot out of us” while captain Zach Parise puts it bluntly: “We played better teams”.

But Jonathan Quick wasn’t buying into the notion that it was difficult to play today’s game after a tough loss: “It shouldn’t be too hard, we do that all year long. We’re professionals. We play back-to-backs all year long. There’s no reason we show up and not piss a drop. My job is to stop the puck, and I didn’t do that very well. Team effort. We weren’t good.”

Guest Gumballthechewy

Hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad to see America FAIL again!

Now, now there chap, let us remain gentlemen about these things, no need to rude my good man.

Archived