The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Province: If Gillis is fired, possible candidates to replace him

J529

No way to Gillman and Ferraro.

Pierre McGuire should been on the list and top candidate. Very knowledgeable of players around the league and well respected.

http://www.theprovin...6340/story.html

GM CANDIDATES

Jason Botterill, 37 (Pittsburgh Penguins assistant GM)

Upside: The Pittsburgh Penguins assistant GM has been on the short list for a number of GM openings and it’s not hard to see why. The former NHL player has a degree in Economics, an MBA and has hands-on understanding of how to run a franchise.

Downside: Not known much in the Vancouver market.

Laurence Gilman, 49 (Canucks assistant GM)

Upside: The Canucks assistant GM and salary cap guru has an encyclopedic knowledge of the organization and the market after being current GM Mike Gillis’ first hire in 2008.

Downside: Fair or not, would be perceived as a continuation of the Gillis regime.

Ray Ferraro, 49 (Former NHLer, current TSN analyst)

Upside: Impeccable work ethic and knows the market thoroughly, the former player and current broadcaster is bright, articulate and has a detailed vision of what makes for success in today’s NHL.

Downside: No NHL front office experience.

Julien BriseBois, 37 (Tampa Bay Lightning assistant GM)

Upside: The Tampa Bay Lightning’s assistant GM is considered one of the smartest young hockey minds in the business and has extensive understanding of running a minor league franchise.

Downside: No familiarity with the Vancouver market and would provide little buzz.

Wayne Gretzky, 53 (The Great One)

Upside: His hiring would provide a built-in publicity stream for the team and brings a world of hockey knowledge as a former player and coach.

Downside: Has had some experience in NHL management in Phoenix, but has been outside the game for several years.

That's a terrible list. More like a bleacher report article than anything serious.

Botterill and Brisebrois have been talked about before, and we know Gillman, but Gretzky and Ferraro?

And McGuire is the one you feel slighted at being left off? I should have known from your other posts and I'll leave it at that.

That's a terrible list. More like a bleacher report article than anything serious.

Botterill and Brisebrois have been talked about before, and we know Gillman, but Gretzky and Ferraro?

And McGuire is the one you feel slighted at being left off? I should have known from your other posts and I'll leave it at that.

No. I'd be all for Burke to return.

Wrong thread...

Are you referring to the thread about Torts being fired and possible candidates from the same article?

I hate people like you who act and try to portray themselves as board police which btw you're doing as it's rule and you broke it.

Serious, would they ever consider Trevor Linden? Would he want to?

Friedman says Linden didn't seem too interested:

4. Canuck rumour III: That ownership is courting Trevor Linden. Verdict: God only knows. We interviewed Linden for our piece on the 1994 Canucks, and off-handedly asked him about being a GM. He didn't seem that interested.

Archived