The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Nick Ritchie] Junior Point totals vs Getzlaf, Lucic, and Nash

Merci

DISCLAIMER: Point totals don't mean everything and there have been dozens of duds over the years, they can be misleading and should be taken with a grain of salt. However when taken in conjuncture with style of play and professional scouting they paint a fairly solid picture.

I make this thread since every other 6-10 draft pick seems to get one on Canucks Talk, so here's Nick Ritchie's

gonna copy paste from what I think is the best evaluation of him. I bolded some parts of it if your life is too busy/you're watching Ehlers videos to read the whole thing

Analysis

The brother of Dallas Stars draft pick, and 2013 WJC Team Canada member Brett Ritchie, Nick Ritchie is finding his own way as a power forward prospect winning gold with Team Canada at the 2013 IIHF Under 18 tournament, and again at this summer’s Ivan Hlinka tournament. Due to shoulder issues, he played in just 41 games last season, but managed to put up 35 points on an understaffed Peterborough team. He seems to have answered the questions about any lingering injury issues with 39 goals and 74 points in 61 games this season. He has added eight points in eight playoff games so far, and scored the Game 7 Overtime Winner against the Kingston Frontenacs, as his Petes erased a 3-0 series deficit in advancing to the second round.

Nick Ritchie is a power forward prospect who finishes his checks, and plays a very straight line game, taking the puck right to the front of the net and not caring if he has to go through a defenceman to do it. He loves to stand in front of the net and has the quick, soft hands necessary to score on rebounds and deflections. Ritchie might have the best wrist shot in this draft class. It is tremendously powerful, and features a very good release. It can be in the back of the net before the goaltender even knows that he’s shot the puck. That wrist shot is already NHL ready. He is powerful in board battles, overpowering defencemen and winning pucks. While plenty of Draft Eligible prospects need to add muscle to their frames before going pro, Ritchie is already built like a truck. On top of that he’s still got room to get even bigger and stronger.

He has a powerful skating stride, and excellent balance, but could stand to work on his speed as it is just average (for this draft class) right now. One thing that really helps though, is that he has a very quick first step and good acceleration. This really helps him to pounce on loose pucks in all three zones. While he might not win a 100 foot race to the puck against a quicker NHL player, he is going to win plenty of 10 foot races to loose pucks.

Ritchie shows his physical game in all three areas of the ice. He just loves to hit and can back check hard and get involved with the physical game in his own zone and supporting his defence. Sometimes this can get him into trouble as he needs to be disciplined to ensure he doesn’t take penalties, and also needs to avoid getting out of position looking for that hit. Still he’s a committed defensive player, and appears to be improving over time, showing a willingness to learn this aspect of the game.

Ritchie is also not afraid of dropping his gloves. He will fight to defend teammates and himself, and doesn’t care who his opponent is.

The anonymous NHL Scout we talked to had this to say about Nick Ritchie: “He’s like a throwback to the days of Cam Neely, Bob Probert, Wendel Clark, and Gary Roberts. How many players in the NHL today can score 25 or more goals in a season and can also beat you up? I can only think of one, (Milan) Lucic. (Jarome) Iginla used to be that way, but doesn’t fight as much anymore. Nick Ritchie has that package, and he won’t last long on draft day because of it.”

On his wrist shot, “Its off his stick so quickly. He has the best shot I’ve seen in this draft. He can score a lot of goals in the NHL with that shot.”

In terms of style, we have to agree that we see a lot of Milan Lucic’s game in Ritchie. As with all our comparisons that isn’t a potential thing, just a style thing. In terms of potential, Ritchie’s ceiling is to be the elite powerforward that every NHL team craves.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/04/07/nhl-draft-profile-6-nick-ritchie/

Point Totals

Ritchie:

1st year OHL : 62 GP 16g 23a 39 pnts

2nd year OHL: 41 GP 18g 17a 35 pnts

3rd year OHL: 61 GP 39g 35a 74 pnts

Getzlaf:

1st year WHL: 63 GP 9g 9a 18pnts

2nd year WHL: 70 GP 29g 39a 68pnts

3rd year WHL: 51 GP 29g 47a 75 pnts

4th year WHL: 51 GP 29g 25a 54pnts

Lucic:

1st year BCHL: 50 GP 9g 14 a 23pnts

1st year WHL: 62GP 9g 10a 19pnts

2nd year WHL: 70GP 30g 38a 68pnts

Nash:

1st year OHL: 58 GP 31g 35a 66pnts

2nd year OHL: 54GP 32g 40a 72pnts

Just because Ritchie scored similar numbers to these guys doesn't mean its a guarantee they will translate at all to the NHL, but it is another positive sign he has very comparable numbers to some of the elite players in the league.

Videos

13/14 OHL highlights

Game 7 OT playoff winner vs Sam Bennett

http://youtu.be/5fNrfBg8s5U

Perspective: The Canucks will have drafted two players that scored game 7 OT winners with the selection of Bo Horvat last year

X Factor

So what makes Ritchie different that any of the many big players that scored in junior but ended up career 4th liners or AHLers? Well the first thing is Ritchie doesn't rely on his size to be effective it's just part of his game. His speed and shot are highly ranked and so is his IQ, his discipline and consistency are where he needs the most work.

Ritchie as mentioned has an older Brother in the Stars' organization and has apparently used him as a resource for guidance to make the pro leap into the NHL.

Now ask yourself how many other 235 lb players with Ritchie's skill set could ask a family member about the keys to being a pro NHLer. Not many, it's a special gift to have someone going through exactly what you're about to go through and Nick Ritchie's consistency problems and disciplinary penalties are about as weak as issues in a prospect as possible.

We should be very afraid of Burke drafting this guy over us.

Here's the interview he did

After the game I had the opportunity to catch up with Ritchie and he was nice enough to answer a few quick questions for me.

LWOS: Hi Nick, thanks for taking the time to speak to us at Last Word.

Ritchie: No problem, thank you.

LWOS: How has coming up in a hockey family, with an older brother already having gone through the OHL, and drafted by the Dallas Stars helped you going through your draft season?

Ritchie: It’s helped quite a bit. Anytime you have someone to lean on for stuff like that, its pretty cool and he’s gone through the things I’m starting to go through now and its great to have him to talk to.

LWOS: You certainly have size and play a physical game out there. Is there any NHL player you are a fan of, or try to model your game after?

Ritchie: I dont think there is any one particular guy, I just try to look at a few of the bigger guys and take a little bit from each of them. I watch guys like Jamie Benn, Ryan Getzlaf, Milan Lucic, they are great players who use their body well.

LWOS: Thanks for doing this Nick, and good luck down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Ritchie: Thank you for having me.

His point totals are also extremely close to Taylor Pyatt's......

Just chcked his numbers after he was drafted and he couldn't have been on a worse Buffalo team They were literally worse than KHLers

Every player is a gamble and with the new management we have in place there's no wrong way to devleop Ritchie into a superstar

He knows where the scoring areas are and has a great shot as well.

Seems like the perfect linemate for Kassian, no? How many times has Kass set up Booth or Richardson with them not being able to finish the play off?

I think more like Booth and Hansen, Richardson seems to be money with Kassian

Heyy the Ritchie Ritch Kassian line

Analysis

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/04/07/nhl-draft-profile-6-nick-ritchie/

Point Totals

Ritchie:

1st year OHL : 62 GP 16g 23a 39 pnts

2nd year OHL: 41 GP 18g 17a 35 pnts

3rd year OHL: 61 GP 39g 35a 74 pnts

Getzlaf:

1st year WHL: 63 GP 9g 9a 18pnts

2nd year WHL: 70 GP 29g 39a 68pnts

3rd year WHL: 51 GP 29g 47a 75 pnts

4th year WHL: 51 GP 29g 25a 54pnts

Lucic:

1st year BCHL: 50 GP 9g 14 a 23pnts

1st year WHL: 62GP 9g 10a 19pnts

2nd year WHL: 70GP 30g 38a 68pnts

Nash:

1st year OHL: 58 GP 31g 35a 66pnts

2nd year OHL: 54GP 32g 40a 72pnts

Just because Ritchie scored similar numbers to these guys doesn't mean its a guarantee they will translate at all to the NHL, but it is another positive sign he has very comparable numbers to some of the elite players in the league.

Videos

13/14 OHL highlights

Game 7 OT playoff winner vs Sam Bennett

http://youtu.be/5fNrfBg8s5U

I appreciate your write up and the work you put into it.

I do have some issue with the accuracy. With Elhers we were painstaking about comparing him to ALL the players who had recently put up 100 plus numbers in their draft years. Not just cherry picked the good ones. Turns out they are all stars (except Brassard)

We also took pains to make sure we found one guy who had gone through the transition like Ehlers had to NA from Europe playing only his draft year before being chosen. That was Jacob Voracek.

The guys you have cherry picked to compare to Ritchie are a first overall draft pick (Nash) , an all world Captain gold medal winning cup winning Center (Getzlaff) and the NHLs current cherished power forward(Lucic) . Pretty flattering guys to try to frame Ritchie with. ::D

Getzlafhad 1 extra point in his draft year than Ritchie.............in 10 fewer games . He is also a center with all worldly other skills Ritchie could not hope to ever have. Lucic underperformed and thats why he was drafted late in the second round. Unless you are suggesting Richie should be a late second rounder that is.

Nash's numbers are more in line , Nash put up 3 less points in 7 less games. However, the two are on different planets when it comes to other aspects of their games.

On the flip side is guys who put up numbers like Ritchie for a big power forward who became duds. There was no bust who put up numbers like Ehlers did in the QMJHL in their draft year.

Were their busts in Ritchies shoes? The two that come to mind are Taylor Pyatt and Steve Bernier

Pyatt had 37 goals and 75 points in his draft year . He played 7 more games. The height of the dead puck era before they changed the rules mind you. Big boy. 6ft 3 and 232 pounds

Stever Bernier was more impressive than that. This guy is also 6ft 3 and weighed 220 at the time.

In 71 games the guy scored 101 points which adjusted for Quebec inflation at the time is 95 points in the OHL .

What made him different than Ritchie is now? Nothing.

I am not going to start bringing in the Beaches and the Colbornes. They were also great juniors touted as blue chip power forwards. Lets just be fair about who we compare the guys to. Not just the ones we want.

I think more like Booth and Hansen, Richardson seems to be money with Kassian

Heyy the Ritchie Ritch Kassian line

Booth and Hansen are more 4th liners.

3rd line next year. Horvat/Richardson-Horvat/Richardson-Kassian.

I don't want Ritchie. To me he seems like that of which we already have, which is Kassian.

Hey Absent plz find me 5 more players at 230lbs with similar Juniour numbers ill be right here.

Ehlers played with Drouin man, get over him. He'll play RW with Jordan Staal and get 30 goals, then the Hurricans will miss the playoffs as they had no defense, and the Canucks will be watching a line of

Ritchie Horvat and Kassian absolutely destroy the competition with superior play in every facet

His point totals are also extremely close to Taylor Pyatt's......B

In his draft year, Pyatt also played with Norm Milley (Junior superstar) who got 120 points, and Mike Fisher who got 106 points. Both outscored Pyatt by 30+ points each that year (Pyatt had 75 in 68 games).

Meanwhile, Ritchie lead his team by 12 points and 14 goals this year (74 in 61 games).

Not very comprisable really.

Ritchie as high as 1st overall

From Sportsnet:

No need for a program if you’re looking for Nick Ritchie: At six-foot-three and 235 pounds, the only thing

on the ice that’s as big as him cleans the ice between periods.

NHL Central Scouting Bureau has designated Ritchie as an A prospect in its preliminary rankings, the category probable first-rounders fall into.

I buttonholed a scout at the game and bounced the CSB’s evaluation off him. He didn’t blink.

“I have him first in North America,” the scout said. “I’d have to see more of any European kids, but I

wouldn’t have any problem with him as first overall.”

“Nick has a great motor compared to his brother Brett,” the scout said. “He’s all-in on every shift. He goes to the net like there’s no one on the ice with him, and he always gets there.”

He’ll have a shot of playing for a NHL team straight out of the draft.

Consider the testimony of another witness, an opponent who has faced Ritchie at different levels and

different venues over the years. “He’s special” this current OHL player said, asking his name be withheld. “He’s already Nathan Horton size. That’s (whom) I’d compare him to. He has really good hands and an above-average pro-level shot. Everything about it is amazing — release, power, accuracy. He’s so solid on his skates. I went at him last year, and he stood me right up and sent me flying into the boards. And when he fights, he manhandles guys. He beat up (Oshawa’s) Justice Dundas, a respected fighter (in the preseason). He’s gonna be one hell of a player.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/scout-petes-ritchie-is-no-1-ranked-prospect/

Archived