The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buying computer advice?

Dayman

Hey! I'm looking to buy a new desktop computer and I'd like an opinion on whether the differences between the following two systems are worth a $200 difference?? Also, does the difference between Windows 8 / 8.1 matter? My reason for buying the desktop is to watch a movie or two, do school stuff (MS word and internet sites/stuff) and an occasional game (not too much of a gamer though).
Is the difference between these two worth it?
-Intel Core i5 4440
-8GB RAM
-1TB HDD, 7200 RPM
-Windows 8.1
-2GB AMD HD8570
-Intel Core i5 4440
-6GB RAM
-1TB HDD, 5400 RPM
-Windows 8
-Integrated Intel HD
Again, no high-level graphics games, just school websites/documents/applications and a couple casual games, even a couple movies maybe (movies don't need to be HD).

For the $200 you'll probably get another year out of that gear.

I would check your mobo and see how upgradeable it is. If you get a decent mother board, you can always buy new parts as time goes by, and your needs change.

I would go with windows 8.1 as well, I've heard 8 had some trouble, never had it though. Dedicated graphics is nice if you want any kind of decent frame rate when your playing a game.

Also the faster Hard drive will save you time. time starting the comp, installing things, opening things etc, it adds up. If you can get a cheap SSD to run your OS, you can have a little speed machine for browsing, etc.

So in short, 2GB RAM, a faster HD, and better graphics card for $200. Personally, I don't think it's worth it.

What you might want to try on the $450 unit is to add a 120GB SSD drive for your boot drive and programs, ~$75 upgrade. That should really speed things up, more than the 2GB RAM and the faster TB drive.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/kingston-ssdnow-v300-120gb-2-5in-8c-78078-1078.htm

Your computer needs are minimal, so any system should be fine,

I would go cheap, because you CAN!

Computers are junk, they depreciate the minute you buy them and their manufacturers try to make them obsolete as soon as possible, So I say spend as little as possible while still getting what you need.

Unfortunately because of what I do for a living, I have to have top of the line sh#t. So I end up spending thousands on computers,

But you don't have to!

Your computer needs are minimal, so any system should be fine,

I would go cheap, because you CAN!

Computers are junk, they depreciate the minute you buy them and their manufacturers try to make them obsolete as soon as possible, So I say spend as little as possible while still getting what you need.

Unfortunately because of what I do for a living, I have to have top of the line sh#t. So I end up spending thousands on computers,

But you don't have to!

Linda Reid???

Gaming and video editing are the only 2 things that require higher specs. So for you it shall tend on what games you wish to play as the main difference between those 2 is the video card (both still suck).

Windows 8.1 is more like Windows 7 than Windows 8 is. Basically each update slowly turns it back into Windows 7.

My advice take the cheaper one though neither can handle any significant games.

Hey! I'm looking to buy a new desktop computer and I'd like an opinion on whether the differences between the following two systems are worth a $200 difference?? Also, does the difference between Windows 8 / 8.1 matter? My reason for buying the desktop is to watch a movie or two, do school stuff (MS word and internet sites/stuff) and an occasional game (not too much of a gamer though).
Is the difference between these two worth it?
-Intel Core i5 4440
-8GB RAM
-1TB HDD, 7200 RPM
-Windows 8.1
-2GB AMD HD8570
-Intel Core i5 4440
-6GB RAM
-1TB HDD, 5400 RPM
-Windows 8
-Integrated Intel HD
Again, no high-level graphics games, just school websites/documents/applications and a couple casual games, even a couple movies maybe (movies don't need to be HD).

Just buy a Mac Mini for $599. It has bluetooth, Wifi and is portable enough to carry anywhere. It also has intel Core i5 and more reliable than most desktop computers. I have had the Mac Mini for a couple of years with no problems at all. During that time my parents and brother have replaced their desktop computers multiple times and that even included time in the repair shop due to faulty power supply, faulty mother board etc. Best of all, I don't even have any anti-virus on my computer to slow it down. Although you are free to choose, I just prefer Mac OS over windows and I have been a Windows user for many years until I switched a couple of years ago.

PS. From my experience Acer desktop computers are just POS and garbage in terms of their quality. Dell might be better if you choose the desktop PC route.

For the $200 you'll probably get another year out of that gear.

I would check your mobo and see how upgradeable it is. If you get a decent mother board, you can always buy new parts as time goes by, and your needs change.

I would go with windows 8.1 as well, I've heard 8 had some trouble, never had it though. Dedicated graphics is nice if you want any kind of decent frame rate when your playing a game.

Also the faster Hard drive will save you time. time starting the comp, installing things, opening things etc, it adds up. If you can get a cheap SSD to run your OS, you can have a little speed machine for browsing, etc.

If it is just for browsing and Microsoft office, he doesn't need to spend extra. The guy probably won't be using Photoshop or other process intensive applications. For basic use, even a cheapo budget PC might be sufficient. Although for longevity, I would choose the Mac mini over all those options.

If you don't care about PC gaming get a Mac.

For the odd game, it can run it. I have amnesia on mine.

I have to use a PC at work and I prefer the Mac I use at home personally.

Although I heard Windows 8 sucks so if you go the PC route I'd stick with Windows 7.

Sorry for not really answering the question but you should consider building one yourself or getting one customized. AMD offers a better bang for your buck at the lower levels for CPU and an SSD will make life easier

My only gripe with building is that I have no experience in doing it and I'm just not really interested in putting in the effort to get each individual component

If you don't care about PC gaming get a Mac.

For the odd game, it can run it. I have amnesia on mine.

I have to use a PC at work and I prefer the Mac I use at home personally.

Although I heard Windows 8 sucks so if you go the PC route I'd stick with Windows 7.

Yep, many people don't like Windows 8, including me. I do have a 3 year old laptop that still has windows 7. Although I haven't opened my Windows laptop in 6-7 months, since I've been really using my Mac Mini at home. I also got the iPad Mini with Retina display recently so I doubt I will ever open my Windows laptop unless I was trying to open some Windows application.

Archived