The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oates would like to coach Canucks

canucks_kcchiefs

//Former Capitals coach Adam Oates may not have taken a job as a playoff analyst for Hockey Night in Canada with the idea of campaigning for his next NHL coaching job. But hes certainly getting the word out there that hes anxious for another opportunity to get behind the bench.

"Yes I would, absolutely, Oates told Vancouvers Team 1040s Scott Rintoul last week, essentially repeating what he had said to a Toronto radio station the week before.

As I said, I really love it. I love the puzzle. I love trying to pass the knowledge on to the players. You know, you miss the game when you played it and you miss the stress of it and coaching - being right there - it's intense and I really enjoy it."

Oates was fired by the Capitals on April 26, less than two years after he received his first head coaching job in the NHL. In two seasons behind the bench, the first abbreviated by the NHL lockout, Oates compiled a record of 65-48-17, but, like the three coaches that preceded him, he fell short in his efforts to make the Capitals a Stanley Cup contender.

Oates, who has one year remaining on his contract with the Capitals, said he has not had discussions with the Canucks, who are looking for a replacement for John Tortorella, who was fired with four years remaining on his contract.

"I don't think there's a guy in hockey that wouldn't want to coach the Vancouver Canucks when you think about the organization, Oates said.

"First of all, it's a fantastic city and a great sports town. You look at the team, they've got ... a good defense, they have young goaltending, and obviously an opportunity to coach the Sedins [Daniel and Henrik]. I think I could make them productive and Ryan Kesler.

"There's not a single guy I don't think that would consider the opportunity if it made sense."//

http://www.csnwashington.com/hockey-washington-capitals/talk/oates-says-hed-love-opportunity-coach-canucks

I know we have no GM in place, but I think this is a guy who would get a look. Did Linden play with Oates in Washington?

I don't mind Oates at all, maybe just because I lived a couple doors down from his sister/niece, but he really got the short end of the stick in Washington. Hard to coach a guy that doesn't care (Ovechkin).

oates did wut he could in WAS, but, really, no coach could get that team anywhere-- even boo-dreau couldn't get the ducks past the semis. if boudreau can't get the job dun in WAS, or ANA, really, no one can. if vigs couldn't get this team to the cup, i'm afraid, same story. same with St. louis with hitchcock and then there's buffalo. i just feel these 4 teams will never win the championship, just because of reasons

oates did wut he could in WAS, but, really, no coach could get that team anywhere-- even boo-dreau couldn't get the ducks past the semis. if boudreau can't get the job dun in WAS, or ANA, really, no one can. if vigs couldn't get this team to the cup, i'm afraid, same story. same with St. louis with hitchcock and then there's buffalo. i just feel these 4 teams will never win the championship, just because of reasons

Oates strikes me as the kind of guy who tries to coach for change over time. Not a garbage can 'kicker' in the dressing room. He is given credit for making subtle changes to some WASH players game. Ward was

talking positively about Oates.

I always assumed that Hunter turned his back on the WASH coaching job because of how he assessed that

core group. The core is Ovy. No coach has been able to get the most out of his game. He does not play a 200' game and that has to destroy the bench morale. When Semin was doing the same thing it really

wrecked that team. They shipped him out but Ovy's game did not change. Hunter was not prepared to put up with that.

Oates did not prove anything in WASH as a coach. Not that any other coach has either. I see him as a

good Assistant Coach as a result. If he had cracked the Ovy puzzle he would still be coaching there so

who knows the real situation.

I would love Oates here as our 'offensive' Associate Coach .. Jim Playfair as our 'defensive' Associate Coach .. both of them working for either Trotz or Dineen .. I think the Canucks would flourish.

Not a terrible idea. What about Glen?

I would love Oates here as our 'offensive' Associate Coach .. Jim Playfair as our 'defensive' Associate Coach .. both of them working for either Trotz or Dineen .. I think the Canucks would flourish.

I agree. I think Oates fits the bill to be an assitant at this point in time. He was a decent coach in Washington but he failed to excell and he lacks coaching experience. I don't see Glen Gulutzan being replaced, as I doubt he was much to blame for this seasons failure. He is a very good coach when it comes to youth and he would be a much needed component if we really do go through with a re-tool. I don't see why there can't be three assistants on this team with the way they performed this season. (Head Coach), Gulutzan, Playfair, Oates.

I agree. I think Oates fits the bill to be an assitant at this point in time. He was a decent coach in Washington but he failed to excell and he lacks coaching experience. I don't see Glen Gulutzan being replaced, as I doubt he was much to blame for this seasons failure. He is a very good coach when it comes to youth and he would be a much needed component if we really do go through with a re-tool. I don't see why there can't be three assistants on this team with the way they performed this season. (Head Coach), Gulutzan, Playfair, Oates.

Maybe a

Trotz (defensive) head coach

Oates (PP)

Gulutzen (youth)

I am sure there is a place for him in helping our develop our 'youth', special assignments and maybe working with Travis in Utica .. there are a lot of places he could help this organization.

I am sure there is a place for him in helping our develop our 'youth', special assignments and maybe working with Travis in Utica .. there are a lot of places he could help this organization.

The idea of a coach that moves between the AHL and NHL, linking the two staffs, working with youth as they move between the two clubs.

I look at Oates' career. I look at Oates coaching record. I look at the style of play he excelled at and what he tries to do with his players.

This guy was made to coach players like the Sedins in some way shape or form.

Trotz/Oates?

I would do that.

This team with its vaunted defense, had MASSIVE defensive issues last year which is where Trotz would help.

This team with its once high powered offense has not changed any of that offense at all yet cannot score at all let alone on a PP. Which is where Oates would come in.

Oates and Trotz take a solid approach and a long term mentality with prospects and development. We have prospects which will need developing and there is a chance we have a player like Oates/Sedin joining the organization in Draisatl next season. An assist machine

I would not be against this, I just don't know if Oates as head coach is appropriate. Trotz and Oates...ya why not.

Couldn't do much worse than Trotz and Sulli

The idea of a coach that moves between the AHL and NHL, linking the two staffs, working with youth as they move between the two clubs.

Yes .. I envisioned something like this for Manny when he was ruled out of playing here, but he was still driven to compete .. if we want our Comets 'system' to mirror the Canucks for transition purposes, then a young, competent Coach with Glen's credibility could prove a very astute move, acting as the 'bridge'.

What's the deal with Adam Oate's hair? It creeps me out. It looks like that spray on stuff you get out of a can.

Just for you, Trev will include a condition in his contract that forces Oates to wear a hat .. :)

Archived