The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oates would like to coach Canucks

canucks_kcchiefs

I'd take Oates over Trotz to be honest.

I'm not sure I believe Trotz is really a very good coach. I think Trotz was shielded by coaching a style and having a team built around his style. Oates on the other hand was dealt the Washington Capitals which is a team full of talent that won't ever do anything. Until they start making tough decisions with their players it doesn't matter who their coach is. That said Oates did a good job there. I'll take Oates over Trotz any day.

I'm not sure I believe Trotz is really a very good coach. I think Trotz was shielded by coaching a style and having a team built around his style. Oates on the other hand was dealt the Washington Capitals which is a team full of talent that won't ever do anything. Until they start making tough decisions with their players it doesn't matter who their coach is. That said Oates did a good job there. I'll take Oates over Trotz any day.

you must know better than everyone in the business.

I never said that I did. I expressed my opinion on the matter. Sorry it doesn't jive with yours.

You seem to take other people having a different opinion than you as a personal attack. Might want to look into that.

I believe 'tas' must be a bicycle messenger who arbitrarily texts out quick, rash sentences, (devoid of punctuation, grammar and context) just to keep his pulse rate up while being stuck at stop lights or in traffic.

I'd say no to Oates and Trotz to be honest. Trotz and Nashville has never really developed any offensive talent in his tenure there. Now why is that? Even Vancouver drafting at a similar record has been able to draft some offensive talent. In 14 years they missed the playoffs 7 times, lost in the first round 5 times, and lost in the second round twice.

Oates I'm not sure is ready to be a head coach. He sounds like he's a fantastic assistant, but he hasn't figured out how to manage his assets properly, or how to get his players to mesh and work as a team.

I'd rather have Larry Robinson, but that would depend on him wanting to be a head coach again. If he was made head coach, if he can't fix our defence, no one can.

Like many others....Oates as an assistant? You bet. The guy was a power play wizard and we need big help with that. Oates as a head coach? No, not going there yet. That said, I don't blame him for the failings in Washington. It's a dysfunctional situation there....long on talent, short on heart. No can win.

"Letting our talent shine".

With the league's worst first line? I guess since Linden picked up Crosby we can build around him.

Quite the snide remark. Are you basing that off of their one bad season point production wise? The one plagued with injuries, increased ice time, PKing, and blocking shots? I hope not.

I am not a fan of recent former players coaching teams...

Most of them were former players, it's just that they weren't successful players.

But in terms of Oats...please no. You think Torts took this team through the mud. It'll be nothing compared to Oats. He made Ovechkin look mortal. A few years back Ovie was a clown in the all star game, when he was on the top of his game. He looked and played like he loved the game. Now when you look at him, he's just checked out. Where would the Canucks be if the Sedins, Kesler, or Bieksa checked out.

On one hand you say Trotz isn't a good coach because of having a low budget team with no offensive talent built around him while excusing Oates for having the talented Washington Capitals that won't do anything? I don't really get it. Trotz is more at a disadvantage because of a team that has an internal budget. They had to get rid of their good defensemen over the years like Suter and Hamhuis and they lost some good offensive players like Radulov. Washington Capitals is the more superior team and they didn't make the playoffs. I will take the coach that took a low budget Nashville team to the playoffs multiple times.

I never said that I did. I expressed my opinion on the matter. Sorry it doesn't jive with yours.

You seem to take other people having a different opinion than you as a personal attack. Might want to look into that.

my point is that when everyone in the business thinks trotz is a great coach, it's pretty damn arrogant to disagree.

I'd say no to Oates and Trotz to be honest. Trotz and Nashville has never really developed any offensive talent in his tenure there. Now why is that? Even Vancouver drafting at a similar record has been able to draft some offensive talent. In 14 years they missed the playoffs 7 times, lost in the first round 5 times, and lost in the second round twice.

Oates I'm not sure is ready to be a head coach. He sounds like he's a fantastic assistant, but he hasn't figured out how to manage his assets properly, or how to get his players to mesh and work as a team.

I'd rather have Larry Robinson, but that would depend on him wanting to be a head coach again. If he was made head coach, if he can't fix our defence, no one can.

Its not Trotz fault that they didn't draft for or trade for any good offensive forwards that would be a permanent fixture. It is also not Trotz fault for the team having a low budget and can't go after any offensive players. The fact that Nashville made the playoffs 7 times in 14 years is more of an indication that Trotz is actually a superior coach. The Columbus blue jackets probably only made the playoffs twice in their whole franchise history. I would say Columbus has had a more talented team than Nashville over the years.

my point is that when everyone in the business thinks trotz is a great coach, it's pretty damn arrogant to disagree.

Well your point is invalid because it's not arrogant it's an opinion based on how I feel. Arrogant would be me saying he's a crappy coach with no talent. I simply said I don't think he's as great as people here (read that word) make him out to be and listed my reasoning. Perhaps be using the wording "not very good" was read as me saying he was bad but that's not what it means at all.

I can think of a number of reasons why I wouldn't want Oates to be the head coach in Vancouver. The biggest reason would have to be the Caps poor five-on-five play; the Caps were a team that was extremely dependent on the PP.

There's a long post on the first page of this thread by theminister which basically sums up Oates's questionable line-up decisions (along with statistical analysis to back it up). I've seen more than enough Caps games last season to agree with that analysis.

IMO, Oates strength is his one-on-one work with individual players, but his glaring weakness seems to be the "big picture" aspects of being a head coach. That's why he'd be great as an assistant coach, but a very risky hire as a head coach.

I'm on record in favouring Trotz, but Oates wouldn't even be my third choice on my list.

On one hand you say Trotz isn't a good coach because of having a low budget team with no offensive talent built around him while excusing Oates for having the talented Washington Capitals that won't do anything? I don't really get it. Trotz is more at a disadvantage because of a team that has an internal budget. They had to get rid of their good defensemen over the years like Suter and Hamhuis and they lost some good offensive players like Radulov. Washington Capitals is the more superior team and they didn't make the playoffs. I will take the coach that took a low budget Nashville team to the playoffs multiple times.

Oates had a talented team with an all star who I don't think has what it takes for this league. I also am not saying trotz isn't good I just don't think he's this great coach who did so much with so little. In fact I would say the idea that he had so little is false. He had quite a bit that fit with his system. Nob real offensive talent to sspeak of for sure but nashville shows us how far defense can take a team.

T is a good coach. Imo not great but that doesn't mean I'll piss and moan if he is hired. I hope I'm wrong if that's the case.

Oates had a talented team with an all star who I don't think has what it takes for this league. I also am not saying trotz isn't good I just don't think he's this great coach who did so much with so little. In fact I would say the idea that he had so little is false. He had quite a bit that fit with his system. Nob real offensive talent to sspeak of for sure but nashville shows us how far defense can take a team.

T is a good coach. Imo not great but that doesn't mean I'll piss and moan if he is hired. I hope I'm wrong if that's the case.

I hope you are very wrong as well.

Sorry Didn't meet to put you down.

I just think Trotz is what our team needs.

He might be. If he's half the coach he touted as being on here this team as it is right now should at least make the 2nd round.

If he does so much with so little and I'm wrong then this team will excel with him behind the bench. IMO though with or without him this team is going to struggle to make the playoffs without some serious help.

At the very least I will say I think Trotz can turn Edler into the D man that this team wants him to be.

edit: I didn't take that as a put down at all btw.

Archived