The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Surprise for Kesler and Bonino

Canuckseeesh

When Kesler was Bonino's age, he was a 41-goal scoring Selke winner.

And before this past season, Bonino wasn't even NHL-relevant.

Safe to say who the better player is, but yes, Bonino being alluvasudden better than Kesler would be a surprise.

It's great and wonderful to say what Kesler was doing but he isn't doing that any more. Cheecho was scoring 56 goals when he was that age. Yet I there is no way that you would argue that Cheecho is just as way better, or even close to as good as Kesler is right now

While I do agree Kesler is a better player with a huge drive to win, some people should really take this into consideration when deciding whether or not we won the Kes deal.

A lot of argument against this trade is that Bonino's stats were padded by playing on an elite team.

Well don't we remember the span where Kesler played with the Sedins, including the PP? Now i'm not sure what the outcome might have been if he hadn't played with the twins, but judging from the past it's pretty safe to say that everyone who plays with the twins will produce career high in points.

In sum, I'm really expecting people to be surprised not only at Kesler's lack of production(from expectations) in ana, but also that if Bonino does indeed get some time with the twins, Kesler's presence will not be missed

Kesler played with the Sedins only on the powerplay "sometimes" Ryan Kesler did not play with the Sedins, with exception of last year, when Hank went down, Daniel played some games with him.

His break out year in 2009, his linemate was Mats Sundin.... Kesler was the right winger, and he only played like 40 games with Sundin.

in 2010, his linemate was Alex Burrows.

in 2011 his breakthrough year, his linemates were Mason Raymond and Mikaeil Samuelson.

He rarely played with the twins.

When Kesler was Bonino's age, he was a 41-goal scoring Selke winner.

And before this past season, Bonino wasn't even NHL-relevant.

Safe to say who the better player is, but yes, Bonino being alluvasudden better than Kesler would be a surprise.

no crap. I am ok with the trade... but Bonino is no Ryan Kesler.... The trade had to be done, he is really no Kesler. It's like saying

Marius Cherkawski is no Markus Naslund, despite having similar stats to him.

Kesler played with the Sedins only on the powerplay "sometimes" Ryan Kesler did not play with the Sedins, with exception of last year, when Hank went down, Daniel played some games with him.

His break out year in 2009, his linemate was Mats Sundin.... Kesler was the right winger, and he only played like 40 games with Sundin.

in 2010, his linemate was Alex Burrows.

in 2011 his breakthrough year, his linemates were Mason Raymond and Mikaeil Samuelson.

He rarely played with the twins.

Almost half of his points were on the Power play that year

Do you have anyone in your family with special needs?

It's something I take to heart so no it's not pretty innocent to me.

That term is so highly stigmatized it's no wonder they changed the name of it in the DSM-V.

Most people use the term loosely so I try not to fret about it, but it does get to me every once in awhile. I definitely understand where you are coming from though, as I too have a family member with special needs.

Kruger

Please make a rule that anyone using the R- word will not be allowed on this forum.

Advocates explain why the R-word is so hurtful when used in jokes or as part of everyday speech. The R-word is EXCLUSIVE

“What’s wrong with "retard"? I can only tell you what it means to me and people like me when we hear it. It means that the rest of you are excluding us from your group. We are something that is not like you and something that none of you would ever want to be. We are something outside the "in" group. We are someone that is not your kind. I want you to know that it hurts to be left out here, alone.” – Joseph Franklin Stephens, Special Olympics Virginia athlete and Global Messenger

The R-word IGNORES INDIVIDUALITY

“Words matter. People don't need to scoff at others to make a point. Everyone has a gift and the world would be better off if we recognized it.” – Tim Shriver, CEO of Special Olympics

The R-word equates intellectual disability with being DUMB OR STUPID

When saying the R-word, “What we mean is that he is as stupid as someone who is mentally handicapped, and we mean that in the most derogatory sense. The implication is that the only characteristic of mentally handicapped individuals is their stupidity.” – Crystal, Stanford, CA

The R-word spreads HURT

“It is wrong to pain people with your language. Especially, when you have already been made aware of your oral transgression's impact. Make no mistake about it: WORDS DO HURT! And when you pepper your speak with "retard" and "retarded," you are spreading hurt.” – John C. McGinley, actor and star of the hit TV show “Scrubs”

The R-word is OFFENSIVE

“The word retard is considered hate speech because it offends people with intellectual and developmental disabilities as well as the people that care for and support them. It alienates and excludes them. It also emphasizes the negative stereotypes surrounding people with intellectual and developmental disabilities; the common belief that people with intellectual and developmental disabilities should be segregated, hidden away from society, which, in my opinion, is really old fashioned.” – Karleigh Jones, Special Olympics New Zealand athlete

The R-word is INCORRECT

“When you say the "R" word it makes people feel bad and it hurts my feelings and I don't want to hear you guys say it. Instead, you can call me a leader, a hero, or a human being, but please don't call me the "R" word.” – Dony Knight, Special Olympics Oregon athlete

The R-word is DEROGATORY

“Because the word has become a casual description of anything negative or flawed, ‘retarded’ is no longer considered an appropriate way to describe people with intellectual disabilities. And any use of the word, even when used as slang and not intended to be offensive, is hurtful - because it will always be associated with people who have disabilities.” – Sara Mitton, Board Member, Treasure Valley Down Syndrome Association

The R-word fosters LONELINESS

“It hurts and scares me when I am the only person with intellectual disabilities on the bus and young people start making “retard” jokes or references. Please put yourself on that bus and fill the bus with people who are different from you. Imagine that they start making jokes using a term that describes you. It hurts and it is scary.” – Joseph Franklin Stephens, Special Olympics Virginia athlete and Global Messenger

The R-word is HATE SPEECH

“I don’t think you understand how much you hurt others when you hate. And maybe you don’t realize that you hate. But that’s what it is; your pre-emptive dismissal of them [people with intellectual disabilities], your dehumanization of them, your mockery of them, it’s nothing but another form of hate. It’s more hateful than racism, more hateful than sexism, more hateful than anything.” – Soeren Palumbo, student, advocate, brother to a sister with an intellectual disability.

In this, as in other cases of discrimination, it’s probably best to let those affected speak for themselves.

Here is John Franklin Stephens, a man from Virginia with Down syndrome who serves as a “global messenger” for the Special Olympics. He has written op-ed articles giving lucid voice to thoughts you may never have heard before:

“The hardest thing about having an intellectual disability is the loneliness,” he once wrote in The Denver Post. “We are aware when all the rest of you stop and just look at us. We are aware when you look at us and just say, ‘unh huh,’ and then move on, talking to each other. You mean no harm, but you have no idea how alone we feel even when we are with you.”

“So, what’s wrong with ‘retard’?,” he asked. “I can only tell you what it means to me and people like me when we hear it. It means that the rest of you are excluding us from your group. We are something that is not like you and something that none of you would ever want to be. We are something outside the ‘in’ group. We are someone that is not your kind.”

Last year, after the right-wing personality Ann Coulter sent a Twitter message about Mitt Romney and President Obama — “I highly approve of Romney’s decision to be kind and gentle to the retard” — Mr. Stephens wrote her a letter. “No one overcomes more than we do and still loves life so much,” he said, with such persuasive graciousness as to put other writers to shame.

As Mr. Stephens makes clear, people can be thoughtless and cruel, or well-meaning, and never know the damage their words can do. The campaign is about inclusion. History is full of stories of people from outside who fought their way in. To those with intellectual disabilities, it sometimes seems the battle is just at the beginning, when little victories — like an end to insults — are hugely important.

Filed under: Medical Conditions, Special Needs, Opinions

max-590.jpg

Ellen and her son Max. Courtesy of Ellen Seidman.

Let's say you have a child with disabilities who has cognitive delays, and when people jokingly uses the word "retard" to call someone stupid, it bothers you.

Let's say that in honor of Spread The Word To End The Word Day, which was this week, you decide to do a little project: For a few days you will message people on Twitter who use the word "retard" and let them know the r-word is derogatory to people with disabilities.

You don't actually expect the word to disappear anytime soon or that people will instantly chop it out of their vocabularies. But maybe, just maybe, you can raise a little awareness. You will set up alerts for tweets that contain "retard."

And you will find that there are so many mentions of the word -- thousands a day -- this could be your full-time job. People in the U.S., England, Germany, the Netherlands, and Kuwait say the word. Men, women, teens (lots and lots of teens), people of all races and all spelling abilities.

You will not fault people for their use of the r-word, because the term has become slang. They don't mean to malign people with disabilities. Heck, you used to call annoying situations "retarded" before you understood.

You have no problem with the words "stupid" or "dumb" or worse. Sure, call your friends names if you'd like, it's your conversation. But maybe you don't have to toss around the word "retard." Or say even worse things:

end-the-word-4.jpg

When you're sending a message limited to 140 characters, you'd expect that some people won't get what's so wrong. You can't get into explanations of how equating people doing stupid or blockheaded stuff ("I'm a retard for forgetting my wallet!") with people who have intellectual disabilities insults them, and how it perpetuates stereotypes. You'd expect most people to ignore you, which they do.

You'd expect some to be defensive, as the very act of tweeting at them is confrontational, even though you try to keep your tweets even-handed: Hi. Mom of kids with disabilities here. The word "retard" is demeaning. But still, you will be surprised by how people dig in their heels:

Kesler's shooting percent last year was below his avg and Bonino's was above his avg.

I am fully expecting Keslers offensive numbers to improve this years and Bonino's to take a bit of a dip.

Defensively... Need we even utter comparison?

Face offs?... Yeah

Kesler is better than Bonino in every facet of the game except vision. Bonino is younger and his ceiling is unknown. Kesler isn't exactly an old man but I think the world has seen his ceiling.

Fact is we got the very best we could under the circumstances. Bonino is a good hockey player and I love the way we got Dorsett with the deal.

You can't replace Kesler. Not possible.

Anaheim pretty much knew that they were the only team in the running for Kesler and took advantage of that, as they and any other team have the right to do. Kesler is a proven consistent difference maker in a game. Bonino and especially Sbisa are works in progress.

They say that in previous years before Torts, our team played with a winning swagger. I think this year our veterans will play with determination to re-establish themselves and our younger players like Bonino, Sbisa, Kassian, Tanev, Stanton and the prospects that do step up will play for a chance to prove themselves in the NHL.

We're the underdogs now, but that's not to say underdog teams can't go far. Last October who would have thought the Rangers would be in the cup final? Let's see how our players gel and how everything comes together before getting negative.

do u need me to refresh your memory?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU3-2hNdnME

this was all in one playoff series....

Can't deny Kesler's shining moments...he was unbelievable vs. the Preds and in Game 2 1st Round vs. The Sharks in 2013. Also can't deny that Kesler played hard for the Canucks...explains why out of 786 games that he could have played as a full time NHLer, he only played 677 games. And out of the 677 games he played, he probably played 300 of them injured (just a guess). He was, as described by Benning, a warrior for the Canucks.

But, in the end, he didn't want to be a Canuck. He took his emotions out of the decision making process and asked to be moved to Anaheim where he thought it was best for his career. So be it...I am very happy that we have a GM in Benning who is equally steely with his emotions and was able to make a trade swiftly and without incident.

Benning has shown that he's a man who checks his emotions at the door when he arrives at the office and is ready, willing, and able to make decisions without being bogged down by any pre-conceived emotional biases. These so-called "soft-skills" are overrated...I love that Benning is like a mercenary on a mission.

I'm hopeful that what we got back in the trade will serve us better in the long run than what we gave up...in the short term, there's no doubt we gave up the best player in the deal.

people are overrating kesler here. he was my second favorite player when he was on the canucks but people keep saying that he gave his heart and soul to this team, no he didnt. some nights i saw he wasnt even trying(not backchecking etc.) and he lied to the media and the city of vancouver. also when he went to the Olympics he told all of his team USA teammates that he wanted out of vancouver. i dont want a guy like that on the team.

That's not safe to say at all.

Klatt, King (The Matress Line), Naslund, Samuelsson, Pyatt did very little with them. Even Bertuzzi had some pretty significant time with them and did very little.

Burrows and Carter (The Brother Line) are the only two to really break out with them.

These are all guys that played with them for long enough to develop chemistry. Lots of others were tried here and there with no success. Cooke comes to mind but that may have just been PP.

Klatt was on the downswing of his career when he played with the Sedins. The Sedins also weren't nearly the players they are today either when they played with him.

King posted his only decent season in the NHL playing with them. He has done absolutely nothing without them and could never crack the NHL otherwise.

Naslund and Bertuzzi weren't the same players that everyone knew them as by the time they spent some time with the Sedins and were never really regular linemates (except for one season for Naslund) of the twins.

Samuelsson and Pyatt did very little with them? Pyatt posted career highs in points and goals with the Twins... Samuelsson had career highs in points and goals while playing in Vancouver as well.

Half the people you said didn't have much success with them had career years and the other half played with them before they were fully developed lol

While I do agree Kesler is a better player with a huge drive to win, some people should really take this into consideration when deciding whether or not we won the Kes deal.

A lot of argument against this trade is that Bonino's stats were padded by playing on an elite team.

Well don't we remember the span where Kesler played with the Sedins, including the PP? Now i'm not sure what the outcome might have been if he hadn't played with the twins, but judging from the past it's pretty safe to say that everyone who plays with the twins will produce career high in points.

In sum, I'm really expecting people to be surprised not only at Kesler's lack of production(from expectations) in ana, but also that if Bonino does indeed get some time with the twins, Kesler's presence will not be missed

Kesler has been a top two way center in the NHL for several seasons now. Bonino has had one good year. That is why jus looking at last years stats doesn't matter. kes has scored 40 goals ,

Bonino hasn't , I'm stoked on bonino tho, really happy with the return Benning got. I think bonino can at least replicate his 20 goal 50 PTs season and help us out in the shoutout!!

Archived