The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Benning's remake of Canucks an uncluttered picture

Ossi Vaananen

Schroeder can hardly be considered a roster player since he was a fringe NHLer here.

So really it's:

Out:

Luongo - 35

Kesler - 29

Garrison - 29

Booth - 29

Santorelli - 28

Dalpe - 24

Average age 29

In:

Miller - 34

Vrbata - 33

Bonino - 26

Sbisa - 24

Dorsett - 27

Vey - 23

Average age 27.8

Not to mention the possibility of having room for guys like Horvat and Corrado step into roster spots next season.

No not really, since I'm including Benning's moves only, all of them, and not Gillis' (where's Matthias?) And hate to break it to you, but Vey at this point is also a fringe NHLer.

But it's about perception. Change is coming. That means prospects are coming. That's what we're really waiting for at this point. Rebuild.

Who said anything about Jensen or Horvat not earning it?

Of course they would have to earn it by outplaying someone.

Uhhh...I think there was a misunderstanding here.

Benning said they would have to earn it.

I made a case against using the the "Outperform vet at training camp" hiring policy only.

And I also don't like the fact that "Earning it" has become a euphemism for "Out play vet over next three weeks"

No not really, since I'm including Benning's moves only, all of them, and not Gillis' (where's Matthias?) And hate to break it to you, but Vey at this point is also a fringe NHLer.

But it's about perception. Change is coming. That means prospects are coming. That's what we're really waiting for at this point. Rebuild.

Why is it only about Benning's moves? He claimed the team will be younger this season. Luongo was part of last seasons team, and therefore should be part of the comparison.

I could include Matthias (26), but it doesn't change much because we still got younger. Especially if you include Alberts, who was on the roster last season.

Vey may be a fringe NHLer at this point, but so was Dalpe, so it evens out. The only reason Dalpe was in the NHL last season was because our lack of depth. Either way, Vey will likely be on the roster opening night.

I like the demograhic change in the middle range of the lineup.

The Canucks have veteran presence. They've added to that in Miller and Vrbata, but those are short term deals, and don't alter the future youth in the franchise given they were both free agent signings that cost no youth assets. They were an arguably wise use of cap space, and as Benning mentioned, if youth push for spots, he'll move players and make room for them.

The Canucks also had a vastly improved prospect pool that Benning further added to, but not a great deal of NHL ready prospects.

So what Benning did add was players in the range of establishing themselves in the NHL.

Bonino just coming off a break out season at 26. Sbisa just emerging as an NHL defenseman. Vey right at that age of NHL readiness. Aside from Kassian and Tanev, the Canucks didn't really have a lot of talent in that range. Matthias was a good addition of Gillis' in that direction, but this new group, including Dorsett (at 27) really balances out the demographic of the franchise imo, which is important once the current group at or in their 30s start to depart in the next five years....

Why is it only about Benning's moves? He claimed the team will be younger this season. Luongo was part of last seasons team, and therefore should be part of the comparison.

I could include Matthias (26), but it doesn't change much because we still got younger. Especially if you include Alberts, who was on the roster last season.

Vey may be a fringe NHLer at this point, but so was Dalpe, so it evens out. The only reason Dalpe was in the NHL last season was because our lack of depth. Either way, Vey will likely be on the roster opening night.

Benning thread.

A rookie that plays the kind of solid defense that Stanton did, puts up 16 points in 64 games in the process, throws 97 hits, has 81 blocked shots, was a +5, and had some of the team's better underlying numbers playing a third pairing role on a team that struggled for the most part....

I'd say that's a pretty high-end break-in to the NHL. The guy was an absolute steal who showed all kinds of signs that he is going to stick as a starting NHL defenseman. Call it what you want - who really cares about his pedigree or the fact he was swiped off waivers - he's given the team another young, inexpensive defenseman and brings a different set of attributes than Tanev, Corrado and the young prospects. He also stands up for his team-mates and became a virtual instant fan favorite.

If you want a good laugh, read Harrison Mooney's account the day he was taken off waivers. That is the counterpoint to seeing him as high-end. I'm firmly on the high-end side on this one.

I think the guy you were replying to, didn't understand the context in which Benning used the term "High end"

However in the on Ice sense, I agree with everything you said. I think Stanton may end up contributing a lot more to this team then some people think he's capable of.

In which we were talking about the roster getting younger from last season...

Like I said, even if you don't include Gillis' moves, we still got younger.

Fantastic. However Benning's moves made us slightly older. His major signings are both 33 years old on short-term deals. Thinking stop-gaps. You?

I like Benning, but there are mixed messages.

He likes his group, but has a wall in his office dedicated to trading them?

He thinks we've gotten younger, but our biggest signings are 33yrs old apiece?

He's not arrogant, but he thinks he's turned a team from 6th-worst to being able to defeat the cup champs after a handful of moves? - Okay he wasn't quoted on that.

Hmmm, I think one thing is definitely uncluttered about this picture...

change-is-coming.jpg

ps. Somebody get him a laptop?

The article suggests he likes his group. That includes his young players.

But he was clear to point out that they would develop them properly. They would both make room for them (there is your prepared to trade reference) if they earned a spot. But they would also MAKE them earn a spot.

edit / add in: Miller and Vrbata are simply notations they may not be ready and have to earn their spot.

In the meantime he is prepared to make us the best team we can be now. As we wait for those young guys who are the long term plan. The board proves he is prepared in efforts to do that. And to make room, move an older player, when a younger player bursts on to the scene as a better player.

There is no mixed message. The reality is, it is his jobs to manage these factors.

Fantastic. However Benning's moves made us slightly older. His major signings are both 33 years old on short-term deals. Thinking stop-gaps. You?

In

Miller - 34

Vrbata - 33

Bonino - 26

Sbisa - 24

Vey - 23

Dorsett - 27

Out

Kesler - 29

Booth - 29

Garrison - 29

Dalpe - 24

Alberts - 33

Santorelli - 28

Again, not older.

We signed a 33 year old to replace a 30 year old Kesler. Not a huge difference considering Kesler's injury history.

A 34 year old Miller simply replaces what we lost in Luongo last season, which is a mentor for Lack. Pretty much a wash.

Alberts and Booth being gone open up opportunities for guys like Corrado and Jensen to step up.

And yes, Miller and Vrbata are definitely stop gaps.

Man that is funny. I did mean the salutation in a positive way with no malice.

I'm sure you did. And if Gillis had time to clue into that, it would have been nice to give you a smile or wave.

I wouldn't base my whole perception of his personality on your experience, because we all have good and bad days, but I put more stock in your story then I would anything coming through the media.

Reminds me of a story I heard years ago. A friend of mine was Christmas shopping on Robson and spots Pat Quinn doing the same. He goes up to Quinn, says hello and spends the next few minutes with him talking about hockey and how Christmas shopping is a pain in the a$$. Guy said it was like talking to your Grandpa.

Not an exciting story, I know. But I thought it gave me some insight into Quinn's personality. More insight than any media piece I ever read.

Miller and Vrbata are quality players so Benning shored up the franchise goaltender loss and star PP /first line forward to play with the twins.

Benning was capable of creating the cap space and leadership environment for these high end players to want to come to Vancouver.

Not bad for his initial moves.He might of overpaid but he immediately filled the glaring holes.

He has every team's depth chart on his office walls, pretty committed guy.

10158320.jpg

I enjoyed reading this article. Sure we've seen write-ups similar to this in content but like some of the posters ahead of me had said, we need something to tie us over until at least the Young Stars Tournament begins in mid September. I see Jim Benning as a very "glass half full" kind of guy. Sure some of the things said in the article are more than generous when it comes to the team this year but I refuse to be the guy who continuously bashes and negs everything that's been done thus far.

I understand those who wish things were like 3 years ago when the Canucks were a feared team to play against but those times have been halted for the next little while. If we can stop looking into past seasons, stop giving ourselves negative outlooks to a season that hasn't even begun, as well as remove any high expectations of this team until we see what Jim, Trevor and Willie's product looks like in say January or February then I believe we can be pleasantly surprised with what this group can accomplish.

I just want to see the team I've been cheering for since the day my parents gave me a Bure jersey back on the ice regardless if its 1st place Presidents Trophy winner or the 26th placed underachiever. I want my Canucks back on the ice with infinite confidence in themselves and the flames of passion for the game rekindled again. Whatever product is on the ice beyond that is only a minor and secondary concern to me.

Archived