The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ART ROSS TROPHY - an indepth look at the winners

ABNuck

We all know that at the end of the game, hockey is about scoring goals and winning games, the rest of the fluff is all about the means to that end. So the Art Ross trophy is valued as much as it is due to it's celebration of the individuals who excel at doing what hockey demands most...putting up points. Below is a comparison of our 2 perennial superstars vs. the other 7 gents who have won the AR since 2000:

Note: these figures and calcs are based on lifetime totals as they denote a player's contribution overall to his team's success.

CATEGORY #1: BANG FOR THE BUCK (is the owner getting more or less than what he's paid for?):

How much has each point cost his team?

Henrik $63,141

Daniel $66,043

Thornton $69,661

St. Louis $71,165

Iginla $71,829

Ovechkin $82,251

Malkin $88,533

Crosby $91,092

Forsberg $95,424

CATEGORY #2: DURABILITY (are the fans getting what they pay for - to see their stars in the lineup)

On average, how many games per season do we get out of our superstars?

Henrik 77.69

Ovechkin 75.33

Daniel 75.31

Iginla 72.78

Thornton 71.00

St. Louis 66.25

Malkin 64.75

Crosby 61.11

Forsberg 47.20

CATEGORY #3: PLAYOFFS (this is the bonus stuff - both owners and fans want to see this)

On average, how many playoff games have these superstars graced us with per season?

(In other words, how much do they help their team actually make the playoffs vs. the other winners)

Malkin 12.00

Crosby 10.56

Forsberg 10.07

Thornton 7.71

Henrik 7.62

Daniel 7.38

Ovechkin 6.44

St. Louis 5.50

Iginla 4.44

CATEGORY #4: PLAYOFF EFFICIENCY (do these guys get it done or not)

The biggest knock on the Sedins is that their point producing prowess (what we pay them for) really drops off once the playoffs start...but what about the rest?

This figure represents the dropoff in point production % once the regular season ends and the playoffs start:

St. Louis +1.91% (he's a playoff stud)

Malkin -5.23%

Iginla -5.99%

Forsberg -9.40%

Henrik -10.34%

Ovechkin -12.40%

Crosby -14.17%

Daniel -15.12%

Thornton -22.83% (this guy REALLY disappears once the playoffs start)

I'm not sure what the league average would be (% dropoff in the playoffs) but I imagine this is a pretty good cross section of players...so if you throw out the high (St. Louis) and the low (Thornton) you get an average of 10.38%. So although Daniel drops off more than the average, Henrik is on par with the rest of the league (and these superstars).

But what about the big prize? Well we all know that our 2 superstars have failed thus far to grace us with Lord Stanley, but the rest of the group above names aren't exactly plastered all over the cup either...Foppa has 2 / Sid, Geno, Marty and Iggy each have one...but GR8 and Joe who? have also both failed to hoist it.

So overall I'd say we can count ourselves very fortunate to have the twins...they exceed our expectation when it comes to point producing efficiency and actually standing in the lineup game after game. But obviously they need a little more support when it comes to the playoffs even though they've helped us more than they've hurt us. My assessment: when the playoffs start the checking gets tighter. If you're a one line team (like the Canucks have been at times) it's far too easy to shutdown our top lads. But when you've got that second line that can support the first (ie/ Sedin line supporting the Naslund line or the Kesler line supporting the Sedin line) then we seem to enjoy more playoff success. I know...thanks Captain Obvious.

True, Iggy hasn't won a cup (my bad). The Lightning "stole" their cup from them...but I guess if we want to dream about the Lames winning (instead of being cheated out of) that cup then we'd have to take it away from St. Louis...so yah, tit-for-tat. But either way you are correct...no cup for Iggy.

As much people like to pin it all on the superstars to win the cup, it really does take a whole team. Even if the sedins fire at 100% in the playoffs, the defense needs to step up and the goaltending needs to be solid as well. Even if the sedins don't get a cup, they're legends in my book.

True, Iggy hasn't won a cup (my bad). The Lightning "stole" their cup from them...but I guess if we want to dream about the Lames winning (instead of being cheated out of) that cup then we'd have to take it away from St. Louis...so yah, tit-for-tat. But either way you are correct...no cup for Iggy.

And the Bruins stole our cup from us. What's your point again? The Sedins are good? Yeah, we know - or at least the people who aren't idiots or trolls know.

The Sedins are far beyond "good" as they are elite players.

Vancouver has been blessed with having two superstars that were never greedy and have contributed to the success of the team and franchise with their charity and professionalism on and off the ice.

Benning has a limited window to pull together a few pieces and attempt another run with the twins.

I hope he is as capable at this task as the twins have been and still are.

Not much time left,JB.

And the Bruins stole our cup from us. What's your point again? The Sedins are good? Yeah, we know - or at least the people who aren't idiots or trolls know.

Yeah, but as much as I hate to say it, we got thoroughly outplayed in the last 2 games. Calgary actually did legally put the puck behind the line in OT, but the ref missed it - lightning went on to win that game and the next. Hence the cup being 'stolen' from them.

Archived