The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Canucks line-ups over the years

Rubik

Hi, I'm just curious what was the line-ups in the; 2008-09, 09-10, 10-11 seasons. I know that a line-up could changes night to night, but maybe you can name some staple lines. For exemple, as far as I know in 08-09, Steve Bernier played the whole season with the Sedins in the top line, or W. Mitchell played a lot with Bieksa. And another thing, who did Samuelsson play with in 10-11?... So, that's what I mean. And maybe you can name both the regular and play-off line-ups. Thank you.

2010-2011 Pre Trade Deadline

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Raymond Kesler Samuelsson

Torres Malhotra Hansen

*Plug* Glass Tambellini

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Ehrhoff

Ballard Salo

*Alberts Rome*

The 12th forward was constantly rotated with players like Bolduc, Volpatti, Oreskovich, Schaefer, Desbiens, and Hodgson. After the trade deadline it the fourth was Higgins - Lapierre - Glass, but Malhotra's injury pushed Lappy up to the 3rd.

Our D-core had at least one player injured the entire season, meaning Alberts and Rome saw time in the top 6. We all remember Ballard being scratched in favour of Rome as well in the playoffs.

08-09

Sedins-Burrows

Kesler-Sundin-Demitra

Raymond-Wellwood-Bernier

Hansen-Johnson-Pyatt

Edler-Salo

Mitchell-Bieksa

O'Brien-Ohlund

Luongo

Sanford

Was unsure where everyone went in bottom 6

09-10

Sedins-Burrows

Raymond-Kesler-Samuelson

Wellwood-Bernier-Demitra/Grabner

Glass-Rypien-Hansen

Edler-Salo

Erhoff-Bieksa

O'Brien-Mitchell

Luongo

Raycroft

I personally think that this team has a better foundation for success as far as personnel and coaching are concerned than the 2011 Stanley Cup Final playoff game 7 losing team. Just my observation of play, line chemistry, secondary scoring, and effort. They play more exciting hockey, and have fewer head-cases. They are way more zen without the hot heads on the 2011 team and a coach like AV with a line composition slot machine for a clip board. The guy would pull the lever and mix the numbers every single shift. You can't build confidence that way. This team has fun playing, and they're performing because of that newly instilled passion for the game. Knowing your line mates well doesn't hurt, either.

I personally think that this team has a better foundation for success as far as personnel and coaching are concerned than the 2011 Stanley Cup Final playoff game 7 losing team. Just my observation of play, line chemistry, secondary scoring, and effort. They play more exciting hockey, and have fewer head-cases. They are way more zen without the hot heads on the 2011 team and a coach like AV with a line composition slot machine for a clip board. The guy would pull the lever and mix the numbers every single shift. You can't build confidence that way. This team has fun playing, and they're performing because of that newly instilled passion for the game. Knowing your line mates well doesn't hurt, either.

Not having Ehrhoff is huge though. The sedins won the art ross trophy in his two seasons here.

Also I think your underestimating the importance Kesler had to us. In 2011 when the entire team was shut down vs Nashville Kesler was the only one capable of excelling in the tight defensive play that Nashville brought that year. Had he not been with us, we would have lost in the second round that year. I sincerely believe that had he not been injured in the finals we might have won the cup that year.

Not that Bonino isn't good. He is using his linemates, has more points then kesler and overall is a much more natural offensive player than kesler was. But that being said we don't know if he can replace kesler's ability to score against those tight defensive teams. If not, then we need make a line with Maithas, Kassian, Richardson and start getting them used to those situations.

If we can compete with styles such as Chicago/Pittsburgh and LA/Boston then I would say the team is better. But right now we struggle against teams that play tight defense like LA. We need like a line that can deal with it. Only reason we made it to the finals was cause we could deal with both styles.

Right now I see our team as 1 dimensional in that regard, so I don't really view us as a contender just yet.

• 5 months later...

Sort of off topic, but this was our defense lineup at some point in 2011:

Ehrhoff - Salo

Rome - Tanev (worst defense pair I've ever seen, playing 20 minutes a game)

Oberg - Sauve

With Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Ballard, Alberts, and Sweatt injured

Our top 6 only played one game together, which was the final game of the season.

Oh, the memories.

That 2011 team was really a culmination of core players in their acute prime... Sedins, Burr, Kes, Hammer, Juice, Hoff, Lui... If only Manny and Samuelsson haddnt gotten injured... :(

I actually like the look of the future depth far better, but alas I dont see any Art Ross or Hart winners among the bunch.

:(:(

Looking back, our lineups honestly seemed a little overrated. Players like Steve Bernier, Kyle Wellood, Mason Raymond, Taylor Pyatt, and Shane O'Brien played meaningful roles on past teams.

During our best years, we had a top-six that included Mason Raymond (A fringe player on Calgary), Samuelson (A third liner on a cup winner), and a third line energy player turned to a top-six in Alex Burrows.

2011 Game 7 SCF Lines

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Tambellini-Kelser-Higgins

Torres-Lapierre-Hansen

Glass-Malhotra-Oreskovich

Bieksa-Ehrhoff

Edler-Salo

Alberts-Tanev

Luongo

Hamhuis, Raymond injured, Rome suspended.

pretty much looked like this

nhlroberto_luongo.jpeg

I meant the line-ups but you're right, the jerseys were fascinating too. I love this black jersey.

06-07

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Pyatt

Naslund - Morrison - Cooke

Green - Linden - Bulis

Kesler - Chouinard - Burrows

Ohlund - Salo

Mitchell - Bieksa

Krajicek - Fitzpatrick

Luongo

Sabourin

+3th-4th liners: Cowan, Santala, Smolinski

+d: Edler, Tremblay,

And a ?famous? 5-4 PK:

Burrows - Kesler

Mitchell - Bieksa

Am I right more or less?

(I'm a pretty new fan, and this was my first season when i watched all the games, and I just want to know how the line-ups looked like more or less a few years ago. The bad thing is very hard to find videos with decent quality from this period, so that's why I'm asking you. You're so lucky, those who saw all the progress from the WCE era.)

I meant the line-ups but you're right, the jerseys were fascinating too. I love this black jersey.

06-07

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Pyatt

Naslund - Morrison - Cooke

Green - Linden - Bulis

Kesler - Chouinard - Burrows

Ohlund - Salo

Mitchell - Bieksa

Krajicek - Fitzpatrick

Luongo

Sabourin

+3th-4th liners: Cowan, Santala, Smolinski

+d: Edler, Tremblay,

And a ?famous? 5-4 PK:

Burrows - Kesler

Mitchell - Bieksa

Am I right more or less?

(I'm a pretty new fan, and this was my first season when i watched all the games, and I just want to know how the line-ups looked like more or less a few years ago. The bad thing is very hard to find videos with decent quality from this period, so that's why I'm asking you. You're so lucky, those who saw all the progress from the WCE era.)

Not a black jersey hahaha

08-09

Sedins-Burrows

Kesler-Sundin-Demitra

Raymond-Wellwood-Bernier

Hansen-Johnson-Pyatt

Edler-Salo

Mitchell-Bieksa

O'Brien-Ohlund

Luongo

Sanford

Was unsure where everyone went in bottom 6

09-10

Sedins-Burrows

Raymond-Kesler-Samuelson

Wellwood-Bernier-Demitra/Grabner

Glass-Rypien-Hansen

Edler-Salo

Erhoff-Bieksa

O'Brien-Mitchell

Luongo

Raycroft

How we never got past Chicago with those rosters baffles me. Especially 2009.

Archived