The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fallout 4

Armada

Is it a good idea to buy this with no prior Fallout experience? I've been heavily considering it as it looks amazing. Played Skyrim quite a bit and enjoyed that a lot.

The previous few games were difficult to look at, but were really fun. This game has up to date graphics, new game mechanics and is essentially, post-apocalyptic Skyrim with guns and aliens.

So basically, do it.

From a gameplay standpoint it looks pretty amazing but from an RPG it's looking more like 3 than new vegas so far.

Only basing this on how your background seems set. You're a citizen of Boston, you're married, etc etc.Much like 3 where you you live a specific background in the prologue and while you can do some Fable like activities it's still linear. I prefer the vegas thing. How I came to be was up to me allowing me to make my characters as altruistic, pragmatic or insane as I choose without a nailed down storyline that forces me to be the hero.

Skyrim was much the same. You are the Dragonborn and while you have an open world you really are just screwing around till you do what you are supposed to. Not to mention each faction you join doesn't affect anything you do outside of it except some guard comments.

Vegas you had multiple paths and storylines. You could join the factions, betray the factions, murder the factions or ignore them in any of those orders. The game was clever enough for you to be able to finish it no atter how you played. 3/Skyrim made certain NPC's immortal instead to make sure you followed the rails. Vegas made everyone killable except children.

3 also made the game more like a Boy and his dog world where it was a scavenger game that had an economy (caps) for no real reason as no town had any kind of structure that made a money system workable. Would have just been smarter to have a barter system where food and medicine could be traded for weapons and ammo. Basically Fallout 3 treated the world like the bombs fell 20 years ago instead of the 200 years setting. Humans would rebuild after 200 years as better shown in New Vegas

This is not me pissing on any game. I ardored them all equally. Just some observations. I think 4 will be amazing but in a great Fallout 3 shooter game way and not a Vegas RPG way. The action will be open world but not the stories.

Biggest thing I am looking forward to is custom armor and guns.

I completely agree with what you said, and it's all pretty much in line with what I posted earlier. New Vegas had a more complex and interactive world, and the factions really helped. That the game was able to end no matter what you did was maybe the best part, including killing the ferryman, invading the fort and killing Caesar, which was cathartic. The interactions and consequences were more plentiful, and on a lot larger scale. Fallout 3 on the other hand was a series of small, yet fulfilling interactions that don't entirely match up. New Vegas was built in an almost Non-Bethesda way, except for your main character's generic background, which I thought was way more Elder Scrolls than Fallout 3.

Though to again go back to what I was saying before though, I think having such a defined and personal backstory in Fallout 3 was hurt by the fact that the game was so linear (in terms of choices and the story). I don't know that Fallout 4 is primed to fall into such trappings though. It's impossible to say for sure how the main story will play out, and it's tempting to assume they'll just do the linear Bethesda thing, but with the ways they seem ready to flesh out the world and leave it for you to carve out, I don't know that the story will be a straight shot through.

I suppose we'll find out more soon.

Is it a good idea to buy this with no prior Fallout experience? I've been heavily considering it as it looks amazing. Played Skyrim quite a bit and enjoyed that a lot.

Yeah, I'd say so. Every Fallout game minus maybe the second one holds your hand as it introduces the lore and guides you through why things are the way they are, and how everything works. This one looks to be no different, especially with it starting pre-war before the bombs even drop. I'm sure you'll be fine.

But speaking of the older Fallout games and experiencing them:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/fallout-anthology-pc/10385455.aspx

Xrq44YE.jpg

I want it. I already have all these games, but I want it.

It's kind of like having that entire Elder Scrolls Anthology, but cheaper, and with a better presentation (A toy nuke trumps that book+world map, as good as it was). Though that came with Skyrim and all its DLC/expansions, and this won't have Fallout 4. As it says though, it has a spot reserved for it in the nuke.

Xrq44YE.jpg

It's kind of like having that entire Elder Scrolls Anthology, but cheaper, and with a better presentation (A toy nuke trumps that book+world map, as good as it was). Though that came with Skyrim and all its DLC/expansions, and this won't have Fallout 4. As it says though, it has a spot reserved for it in the nuke.

Dang. I already own all of these games (Fallout 3 twice as well..)

I would be interested if Fallout 4 was included, but as a poor student, not for me :(

Xrq44YE.jpg

That's gonna be fun for Canada post and any other mailing service. xD

Bethesda kind of ignores Fallout lore anyways and this game is sort of a prequel so I doubt any prior experience would hurt.

A demo of Fallout 4 has just been showcased by Game Director Todd Howard on the stage of Quakecon, and while there has been no livestream, details have been mentioned by several attendees through social media (mostly Dave Oshry, Britton Peele and Genoman_bk) and on a liveblog from IGN .

• Mr. Handy’s internals have been modeled, as you can see his parts if he’s destroyed.
  • A large number (over 1,000) of character names have been recorded, and will be spoken, including “&^@#face.”
  • The dog “Dogmeat” in the game is modeled after “River,” belonging to the the Lead Level Designer.
  • Preston Garvey is the Leader of the Commonwealth Minute men. He has only five men left to lead.
  • One of the environments of the game is Diamond City, built in the ruins of Fenway Park (the stadium of the Boston Red Sox).
  • Preston Garvey can be a companion, alongside the female Piper, Dogmeat and Mr. Handy. There will be about twelve different companions in the game.
  • Human companions can be romanced regardless of gender.
  • The terminal hacking and lock picking systems are included in the game. They look similar to Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
  • The strength stat will allow the player to carry more items.
  • A series of videos will be released showcasing each stat.
  • There are perks, chosen by the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. menu (that looks like a poster), and you can pick one every time you level up. There are seven categories and ten rows of increasingly better perks.
  • Examples of perks are “Attack Dog” and “Intimidation.”
  • Looting works with a smaller list view that pops up and can be scrolled through.
  • More environments of the game are the town of Lexington, the Corvega power plant.
  • The laser musket reloads after each shot by cranking a lever on the side.
  • It’s possible to check out the cover of books and comics books by zooming on them and rotating the view.
  • There are battles between different NPC factions, and the player can stand back and let them kill each other, or intervene.
  • The Fallout Brotherhood power armor is back, alongside the Fat Man launcher. There are also airships. The Fat Man was used in the demo to blow up a Behemoth mutant.
  • Gore is included, and heads can be blown up.
  • Ghouls can climb through windows.
  • You can look at the Pip-boy in combat. It pauses the game.

Oh my Jesus. They continue to keep saying and doing all the right things.

I look forward to seeing Fenway Park repurposed as a post apocalyptic disaster community home.

The thing about companions and romance is what i wanted to hear, and i wonder how it factors into you already having a spouse and a child with them.

Am DL'ing Fallout New Vegas. They had it on sale on Steam so I figured why not.

Hopefully it's good! :)

People will disagree with me, but IMO best Fallout game is Fallout: New Vegas. You'll enjoy it. Get the DLCs!

People will disagree with me, but IMO best Fallout game is Fallout: New Vegas. You'll enjoy it. Get the DLCs!

The only thing that keeps Vegas from being completely superior is stabiity

It will crash here and there. Some tips that'll help:

Keep a small storage.

When you experience some lag, bring up the Pip-Boy and wait a few seconds.

Going into VATS during lag is almost always a crash.

Manual saves only. Turn off Auto save

Not a surefire never crash panecea but it helps.

If you can keep a sense of humour about the crash that may happen once a game session it's a great gaming experience.

The only thing that keeps Vegas from being completely superior is stabiity

It will crash here and there. Some tips that'll help:

Keep a small storage.

When you experience some lag, bring up the Pip-Boy and wait a few seconds.

Going into VATS during lag is almost always a crash.

Manual saves only. Turn off Auto save

Not a surefire never crash panecea but it helps.

If you can keep a sense of humour about the crash that may happen once a game session it's a great gaming experience.

True, I have a save file that won't even open anymore. But the gameplay and game itself is amazing.

I also have a ton of glitches with the mysterious stranger

Yeah, New Vegas has its glitches and bugs. It's probably my favourite one, though.

Fallout 3 was really screwed on the PS3 for some people though. My brother had so many problems with it on his PS3 that he didn't get too far and stopped playing it. My PS3 was fine with it.

I'm hosting a Fallout themed Mafia game in White Noise for those that might be interested:

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/371444-mafia-fallout-sign-ups-open/

cdMeEmG.png

For those that are unfamiliar with how the game of Mafia works, it's a forum based game that takes place in the thread and in PMs, based around subterfuge, where one team in contact with each other try to undo the good guys who are left to deduce who the villains are.

It's NCR vs. Enclave in Chicago. The theme is largely window dressing to the basic mechanics of the game, but I love Fallout so I'll be trying to go heavy with incorporating it into certain powers and into my storytelling as the narrator.

IMO you reading this should sign up. Yes, you.

Archived